1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Yup, it's ready for paint.
3498.jpg

Here's a quick recap on the scope/status of this project...that i have decided to call simply ROGUE

1/35 X-wing (50% completed)
1/43 X-wing (finished)
1/48 A-wing (ready for paint)
1/72 Y-wing (ready for paint)
1/96 B-wing (ready for paint)
1/144 Millennium Falcon (50% completed)
1/35, 1/48 & 1/72 Personal Shuttle Transport (2 ready for paint, 1/48 not started)
1/35 Kitbashed Crane of some sorts (20% completed)

Then there's figures in 1/35, 1/43, 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144. I'd say those are 15% complete, no paint yet at all. Ladders, boxes, droids, equipment, floor lights in all the scales, the hangar itself, and the math for the forced perspective trickery, and some lighting, and groundwork, and negotiating the terms of my legal separation (just kidding).

Lots to do, but it will get done, one piece at a time. Can hardly believe I've made it to page 53 to be honest with you.

+++

Here's an image showing the position of the different scales in relationship to each other. The black line represents the area where the 1.35 elements will be and then moves back, through the hangar, showing the other regions where the other scales will sit. That was a mouthful.

Now that I look at this...the 1/60 area is a bit void. I think I'll make that 3rd personel carrier in that scale instead of 1.48 and have it driving in that space.

Does this make sense? Have I worked this out right? The percentage is based on the total height of the black box....the other lines are reduced in hieght by X% and aligned to bottom.

If you see errors, let me know.

3668.jpg

10% - Terrific
15% - Fantastic
20% - Rock (12%) and Roll(8%)
5% - Splendid
20% - Cool
30% - Jedi

= 100% Awesome

Yes, by my calculations, Splashcoat is correct. :)

wow thats a lota work. i can see this topic hitting an other 50 pages ;D Epic :)

I think we'll see page 100, for sure.

So I set up a quick test again...this really isn't worth posting to be honest...I am not accounting for the rise in horizon, haven't done the math on the doors etc....

I did set the models at the proper region based on the earlier calculations. The first doorway is at 1/35, or 100%.

3669.jpg

Overall length of this setup is around 70" (insane, where will I put this thing???)

3670.jpg

++

Just working this through in my mind as I sit here and look at that pic. I'm going to have to give some thought to how I paint those smaller ships. The further away something is from you the duller the colors get. Also light grows dimmer. For the floor, if I only scribe 'tile' lines across from left to right, and don't introduce lines that run front to back, I can lay them out so they receed to the horizon.

As I sit here I also see an opportunity to use mirrors, in the 1/48 zone. Might be neat and allow the hangar to appear much wider than it is.

Modeling and Math, I'm out.

Show me o'master.

Dude this is gunner be so cool, the mock up looks like a good base to start from. Maybe you could use a video camera to view the scene from the desired perspective, with a 'live shot' then you can adjust the various builds in the frame until the composition looks good, add scales maybe to fill "blank spots".
Just thinkin out loud?

It's so cool to watch this come together

Great work Scott

Gag

Woahh... thats so fracking cool. The first picture of your Dio rocks so hard...... Jack Black would be so proud.. ;D ;D

I am looking forward to this... I love the Fighter, I will totally love the Diorama...

I thought about it, and yes, this will be the deepest shadowbox I've ever scene (I have to refresh my memory--you are building it as a shadowbox, I mean, enclosed, aren't you?). The only other displays that are the same or similar in size are dioramas in museums, where the modeler can work with a case the size of a piece of furniture.

It's the kind of thing that you'd put along a long wall of a room, on top of a long, low bookcase, for example, and you invite people to stoop a little and have a peek inside.

Very, very shiny!

Scott Girvan said:
I'm going to have to give some thought to how I paint those smaller ships. The further away something is from you the duller the colors get. Also light grows dimmer. For the floor, if I only scribe 'tile' lines across from left to right, and don't introduce lines that run front to back, I can lay them out so they receed to the horizon.

You don't necessarily have to make them duller. One trick I learned from landscape painting is that you pick a "haze" color and blend that in with all your colors you are using in the background (prefereably not a color used in your foreground. The actual color used doesn't really matter, jst be consistent and mix more of it in the farther away something is. That way anything with that haze color appears to be more distant than the foreground stuff.

the Baron said:
It's the kind of thing that you'd put along a long wall of a room, on top of a long, low bookcase, for example, and you invite people to stoop a little and have a peek inside.

I think there is enough work here to warrant knocking a hole in a wall, framing it, and placing the dio in an adjacent room with the viewing end sitting in the framed hole. LOL.

I am assuming that this is going to have lighting as well?? If so what sort of lighting? IE: White LEDs? Or a more subdued scramble for takeoff, warning, warning, the crap is about to hit the fan, red lighting??

If so...the farther away part of it would be bathed in a red light....paint and detail really won't mean much as you get less detail at distance. Even under normal lighting your last bay would be dimmer than your other bays.

SO.....going to be finished for CAMS?? Only 133 days and change....I can reserve you some space now if you think you are going to have it finished by then! LOL

Scott Girvan said:
For the floor, if I only scribe 'tile' lines across from left to right, and don't introduce lines that run front to back, I can lay them out so they receed to the horizon.

Each hangar door would be the same size and shape if you were doing this as non-forced perspective, right? So if you run tile lines front to back, make sure the spacing between them matches the receding scaling of the elements to give the illusion that they're parallel.

For example, the hangar door is trapezoidal. Let's say, for the sake of demonstration purposes, that at the nearest door, the lines are directly under the top corners of the doorway - 1/2" in from the bottom corner (just picking a number at random). The next doorway is proportionally smaller but the same shape - it's 3/4 of the size of the first door. That means that the lines need to be 3/8" (3/4 of 1/2") away from the bottom corners to be in line with the top corners. Likewise, the next door is 1/2 the size of the original door, so now the lines need to be 1/4" (half of 1/2") away from the bottom corners to line up with the top corners.

Follow? You'll have to work out the exact math when you build the doorways, but that's the logic.

I"m not online much these days....suffering in the Dominican Republic...but thanks a million for talking through this.

A hole in a wall...yeah that would be awesome....

Receding doors etc....yup. Like the idea of a haze color. All lines recede to the vanishing point. ;)

ONly a few minutes online....my wifes turn for facebook. we'll talk more soon...

CAMS? I really hope to be done.

Scott Girvan said:
I"m not online much these days....suffering in the Dominican Republic...

(((lol))) Dont ya mean 'Surfing' ;D ;D Have a good un ....Oh dear ...Orange Hat and bathing costume :eek:

Chris.

Chris S said:
(((lol))) Dont ya mean 'Surfing' ;D ;D Have a good un ....Oh dear ...Orange Hat and bathing costume :eek:

Chris.

i almost fell of my chair at that..

have fun "suffering" scott

Great layout, Scott. The shot "from the front door" is especially cool!
And, wow!, this thing is going to be absolutely HUGE :eek:
I pretty much doubt that only 50 more pages is going to be enough for this topic, bud. You might expect also to see even more ;)

Back from vacay. Good to be home, had a great time, but good to be home.

Thanks for the comments and brainstorming guys. Brian...I have totally been considering that mention of yours...if I could find the right spot. A closet maybe?? Not sure just yet.

I'll be back on task with this build soon.

Latest posts

Back