1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Don't worry about the chipping. It's not supposed to be "showroom fresh" is it? It's an X-Wing, they always have paint chipping and patches. If you lose some base coat to masking tape, just re-mask and paint that panel a little different shade like it was replaced from another ship.

Thanks guys. Took a couple tries and still not dead on perfect.

First I tried to eyeball it...not good. Second try I did some math. I divided the length of the cylinder by 7 and cut equal strips of tape. I stuck the strips side by side (like floor boards) to my cutting mat. Then I calculated the circumference of the cylinder (3.14 x diameter). It was 14mm. I divided that by 4 giving me 3.5mm. That's the width of each check.

Then I cut my strips of tape 3.5mm wide, leaving a grid of tape on the cutting surface. After that I simply picked them off the mat, one by one, and placed them on the cylinder, doing my best to keep them square to on another.

A video would explain better I suppose but you get the idea.

images
= :eek:

Thanks for the mini SBS!!

I eat mathematicians for breakfast, so this was easy to follow...

Just some basic math.

Work on the basecoat continues. I've been masking off panels and spraying a couple shades of grey, and primer red. I don't think I'll do much more. This is a Corsec ship and would have had a bit more upkeep than a straight rebel craft.

3631.jpg

3632.jpg

Feel free to make any suggestions though. I'm open to painting a couple more.

Looks gorgeous, Scott. Great colour scheme.

I would agree about the weathering. The only thing I can think of would be scorch marks around the engine exhausts, only so much upkeep could prevent that.

Latest posts

Back