1/35 Trumpeter Mörser Karl Gerät 040. Beastly!!!

pingvuiini

Initial build of Trumpeter's Mörser Karl Gerät 040 600mm. What a beast!! The kit had parts for either the 041 540mm late version or 040 600mm early version and I opted for the early. Little did I know what I was in for.

First, the instructions were missing so I ended up bidding on an eBay auction of unused parts for the late version of the railroad version of the kit which included instructions for the early version only. After I got it I started building and the suspension system of the early version is VERY complex. I went online and found the instruction manual that includes both versions scanned and posted and so I took a look at the late version suspension. It was way easier, just like a typical tank suspension. Oh well, I had already started the early version so I forged ahead. I have always been curious of these huge and somewhat impractical weapons of the Third Reich and I wanted to try building one. Having done so, I am not sure I would do it again (I was thinking of a rail gun, but not any more!).

Anyways, some quick photos:

KGerat040BuildFrt01Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildFrt02Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildRear02Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildRear01Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildTopFrt01Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildTopFrt02Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildTopRear01Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildTopRear02Web.jpg

KGerat040BuildSize01Web.jpg

That must have taken up a lot of bench space! Looks nice though. And I echo zappa's question.

Thanks for everyone's compliments and critiques!

Bullet21 said:
That must have taken up a lot of bench space! Looks nice though. And I echo zappa's question.

zappa said:
Nice!!!
How wil you finish it, rusty or lightly used :)

Zappa

I hear the call of the crust! But I'm only just getting around to painting it now. Will post progress pics soon.

Groovy .
Very interesting --- I've obviously never looked but I didn't know that short barrel was rifled .

..figured it just "lobbed" huge shells ;)
Cheers ,
Keith

What a monster of a build is it all in sub assemblies for paint? i dont know where i would even start on painting with this hats off to you fella ;)

Dan B

That is huge I thought the Trumpeter's Mörser Karl Gerät 040 600mm in 1/144 was big I can just pitcher that things size

danb said:
What a monster of a build is it all in sub assemblies for paint? i dont know where i would even start on painting with this hats off to you fella ;)

Dan B

For painting I had it broken down into several subassemblies: the chassis, the platform, the recoil carriage, the gun itself, the breach, the loader mechanism and a few tiny items like the hand cranks. It took a few bottles of the dark yellow for the base coat. Looking back it would have been a lot easier and cleaner build if I had done the late chassis which is much more like your standard tank type suspension. I have a feeling this early suspension is going to start falling apart when I apply mineral spirit washes.

Anyways, pics:

KarlMorserPaintFrt01Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintFrt02Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintRear01Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintRear02Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintFrt03Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintSide01Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintRear03Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopFrt01Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopFrt02Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopRear01Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopRear02Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopFrt03Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopSide02Web.jpg

KarlMorserPaintTopRear03Web.jpg

Nice progress with the paintwork a pin wash will really bring out the detail on this monster ;)

Dan B

Latest posts

Back