1/35 Tamiya Leclerc Series 2

pingvuiini

Initial build of Tamiya's 1/35 Leclerc Series 2 along with Voyager Model's PE/aluminum/resin update kit.

This kit came with die cast road wheels which are heavy but saved a lot of filing and sanding time. The Voyager upgrade was a very nice 'next step' for me as far as aftermarket upgrades. It was the first time I've had to scrape away certain details from the plastic and replace with small brass pieces. Also my first time with resin parts. I did about 95% of all the upgrades, but I ditched making some of the PE strap buckles for the fuel tanks and fording tubes as they were really tiny. The rear turret stowage box was almost a project unto itself. Even though I didn't do all the upgrades I am pleased with the progress I've made with PE and I would even say that I am starting to get addicted to it. The upgrade definitely adds to the kit.

I was also going to do some Bronco workable plastic tracks. I assembled 12 links with great tediosity and decided to go with the rubber one piece tracks. I think all that extra effort with the Voyager upgrade burned me out on the Bronco tracks, but I'll hold onto the Broncos for now and maybe tackle them later.

Anyways, pics of the initial build and loose assembly:

LeclercBuildKits01Web.jpg

LeclercBuildFrt02Web.jpg

LeclercBuildRear01Web.jpg

LeclercBuildFrt03Web.jpg

LeclercBuildSide01Web.jpg

LeclercBuildRear03Web.jpg

LeclercBuildTopFrt01Web.jpg

LeclercBuildTopRear02Web.jpg

LeclercBuildTopFrt03Web.jpg

LeclercBuildTopSide02Web.jpg

LeclercBuildTopRear03Web.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys! :)^D

After taking a break I have decided to take on the Bronco tracks after all. Each link is 6 pieces and cleverly designed so that the glue is applied into a 'tub' on the shoe pad pieces so that its contained and won't touch the connector pins, allowing for free movement. But attaching the guide tooth is more problematic as it is very difficult not to get glue in the joints where the connector pins and shoe pads meet. I think it might have been better if they had made the connector pin and guide tooth as one piece. Still, with this design the assembly goes pretty fast and I finished one track in a little over three hours.

LeclercTracks01Web.jpg

Initial paint and loose assembly. As usual, I made one huge goof (at least). I was almost finished with the Bronco tracks when I realized that the shoes go in opposite directions. It was right there on the box too. ***DOH!!!***

Weathering next after a few days of curing. Yay!!! ;D

Anyways, pics. Please excuse the poor photography. The white tank against white background was really messing with the color balance in the camera:

LeclercPaintFrt01Web.jpg

LeclercPaintRear02Web.jpg

LeclercPaintFrt03Web.jpg

LeclercPaintSide02Web.jpg

LeclercPaintRear03Web.jpg

LeclercPaintTopFrt02Web.jpg

LeclercPaintTopRear01Web.jpg

LeclercPaintTopFrt03Web.jpg

LeclercPaintTopSide01Web.jpg

LeclercPaintTopRear03Web.jpg

LeclercPaintKits01Web.jpg

Nice work mate, those Leclerc got something about their looks I think. Looks like you did a great build, and love that white UN color

Cheers

Wouter said:
Nice work mate, those Leclerc got something about their looks I think. Looks like you did a great build, and love that white UN color

Cheers

Thank you for your kind words!

I finished with the final assembly, detailing and weathering. I made a concerted effort to hold back on the weathering this time with varying degrees of success. Washes and spattering turned out ok, but the dry brushing is a little heavy handed.

Looking back now that its done, I am surprised how quickly it all came together even with the PE/resin and workable tracks (even though I assembled them incorrectly). I think I have overcome the fear hurdle as far as PE and look forward to doing more.

Overall conclusion: FUN!! :)^D

Leclercv1Frt02Web.jpg

Leclercv1Rear01Web.jpg

Leclercv1Frt03Web.jpg

Leclercv1Side01Web.jpg

Leclercv1Rear03Web.jpg

Leclercv1TopFrt01Web.jpg

Leclercv1TopRear02Web.jpg

Leclercv1TopFrt03Web.jpg

Leclercv1TopSide02Web.jpg

Leclercv1TopRear03Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail01Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail13Web.jpg

Leclercv1Frt05Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail02Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail11Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail10Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail07Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail14Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail05Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail16Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail18Web.jpg

Leclercv1Rear05Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail09Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail19Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail12Web.jpg

Leclercv1Detail15Web.jpg

Leclercv1Kits01Web.jpg

Very nice and clean as a whistle build UN colours look fab too well done :)

Dan B

Latest posts

Back