1/35 Star Wars Command figure paint-ups

I bought several of these Star Wars-themed plastic army men playsets, for the purpose of decorating my Christmas tree. They have some okay detail, but they are molded in a single monochrome color. You had to look extremely carefully to see and really appreciate what they were.
This year, I'm painting them up properly before they end up on the tree:
025B5DDF-EE3F-4E2C-81E0-36E768C85029_zpsqw6pr8go.jpg
They are made of HDPE plastic I think. To get the paint to stick, they were primed with automotive self-etching metal primer. The stormtroopers & sand troopers were painted with Stynylrez primer and detailed with a variety of Citadel and Vallejo Model Color paints and washes. The Imperial Guards were base-coated with Tamiya Dull Red lacquer, then painted with Red and Vermillion Model Color, and given a light wash of Citadel Leviathan Purple. The X-Wing pilots were base-coted with Tamiya Orange, then detailed with a wide variety of Citadel, Model Color, and craft paints and washes.

I have another 12 or so stormtroopers and sand troopers in a variety of different poses primed and ready for paint. Progress pics later tonight.

;D ;D Love it .

Those eye-hooks thru the head look painful :p

Merry Christmas
Uru

;D ;D Sweet .

You gonna give us a shot of the tree ?
We gotta see them in action !

Jingle all the way !

Uru

Beautiful work on these!
There's really some amazing details on these- particularly considering they're sold as "army men".

As to primer, I find that Duplicolor automotive spray for vinyl works best on any plastic, comes in a dozen colors and only costs $8 a can
I use it for primer on custom action figures

You know, that shot of the tree may require some context... I'm a high school teacher, and the tree is set up at the back of my classroom. The rubbish around the tree is just bulletin boards, my desk, and my bookshelf (which now stores a variety of other things).

I finally saw the Force Awakens a couple days ago, and got inspired. I know it's a little late for the tree, but what can I say? ;)
EED7F790-9AF0-4E66-A768-D65776AD9341_zpslolahyif.jpg

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Cool idea. My tree has a lot of the Hallmark SW figures and ships. But never thought building my own ornament from the mini figs. Excellent!

Latest posts

Back