1/35 late-war Hetzer - now complete!

AJay

Bonjour mes amis!

First off, hope everyone had and is having a Merry Christmas!

Anyway, here's my latest build. I will be detouring from the norm here. Many modelers have built this kit and made a fantastic job with it, so I figured there was no point trying to create yet another version modeled after the box-art, therefore expect something a little different ;)

As you may or may not know, the kit comes with a masks to produce that lovely ambush camo, however, I'll be using only part of it, maybe.............

myhetzerbuild.jpg

So far, so good. I believe the real Hetzer had this downward stance upfront due to the weight of its gun. Looks okay so far, and so much easier on my eyes compared to that 1/72 King Tiger! :)

Hetzer1.jpg

I won't be using the 6-holed idler wheel in the pics and after some research have opted for the 4-holed idler; there were some in service late in the war as you can see in the photo below.

WestofBerlin19454holedidlerwheelforblog.jpg

Oh, and I messed up the kit's schurzen so made my own with plastic card. These are better as they're thinner than the original kit versions and more realistic when compared to Hetzer walk-around photos I've collected. Also the bolts on the outside of the kit's schurzen weren't needed in my Hetzer's case, they were welded to the mounting brackets from behind. Note: I've seen photos of schurzen with bolts, too, so the kit ones were also correct.

HetzerWIP4.jpg

I've added some subtle damage to the rear mudguards/fenders. I created the bends by adding superglue underneath and then manipulating the softened, thinned plastic. If anyone has any better ideas for this process please let me know as i'm new to armour modelling. The storage box on the rear had the holes drilled out with a twist drill.

HetzerWIP2.jpg

Added lead wire and a piece of shaped sprue for a junction box for my Hetzer's Notek lamp. Lead wire is so delicate - maybe I'm better off with brass next time? What do others use? Any help would be appreciated.

hetzer6.jpg

My first piece of photo etch and it wasn't too bad to bend using a metal straight edge. I'll perhaps need a tool for future builds..........I love the authenticity the PE gives to my Hetzer's grille!

hetzer7.jpg

More soon, folks! :)

Re: 1/35 late-war Hetzer build

Very cool my friend. Can't wait to see your interpretation of the tank.. Will keep my eye on this thread.

Hook, John and Spud, thank you for the encouragement, and happy 2014 to everyone!

I've made a little more progress and managed to get some primer on her.......

primedwip1.jpg

primedwip2.jpg

primedwip3.jpg

More soon :)

Some more progress..............

As I mentioned before, wanted to do something a little different, so here's my base coat with some subtle pre-shading.

Redoxide1.jpg

Redoxide2.jpg

Redoxide4.jpg

Redoxide5.jpg

Redoxide6.jpg

Redoxide7.jpg

More soon.................. :)

Latest progress WIP: (Note; I still have the tracks to work on, the periscopes, and other small details. There is an MG 34 to add, and also some stowage.

Octoweathered1.jpg

Octoweathered2.jpg

Octoweathered5.jpg

Octoweathered6.jpg

chipping1.jpg

Octoweathered10.jpg

Very cool, great research helps create a great model..Very nice work sir... :)

Thank you, guys! Appreciate the comments :) Hopefully I'll finish this one when I get time.

Nice work. Like how you added the little details. It makes all the difference with the end results.

Great Job on the Hetz so far ;D ;D ;D ;D Amazing chipping effects :eek: :eek:
Glad to say one of the best Hetzers I have seen ;D
MC521

Thank you, guys. I really appreciate the comments. Thanks again for looking!

Latest posts

Back