1/35 Dragon ZSU-23-4M Shilka

pingvuiini

Returning to modelbuilding and this message board after about a year-and-a-half off due to getting a 'real job'. Recently my hours were cut and shifted so I have more time to get back to models and other things.

As usual, this is a straight out the box build but I've been trying out a totally different weathering approach with new tools and techniques. Probably the most important thing is actually holding back on the weathering. I look at my prior models and cringe at how overdone they are. I suppose a year-and-a-half away from something can increase one's wisdom?

SyrianShilkav1Frt01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt03WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Side01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Side02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear03WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt04WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt05WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear04WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear05WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopFrt01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopFrt02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopRear01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopRear02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopFrtBck03WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopSide01WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopSide02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopFrt04WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopFrt05WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopRear04WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaTopRear05WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail11WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail03WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail20WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail12WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt07WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail09WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail15WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail07WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail16WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail06WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear06WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail02WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail13WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail08WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail19WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Frt06WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail04WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail14WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail10WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkaDetail05WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Rear07WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail17WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail21WEB.jpg

SyrianShilkav1Detail18WEB.jpg

Zow .
Lotta work went into that ! ;D

.... so this is LESS weathering ?? LOL

What are the new techniques that you are employing ?

Really impressive ,
Cheers

Stunning! Realistic or not, heavy or not, your multi-toned and multi-color panel approach really adds to the richness and realism of the model.

urumomo said:
What are the new techniques that you are employing ?

Really impressive ,
Cheers

Thank you for your compliments!

One of the big changes is that I didn't use an airbrush at all on the Shilka. I did use a spray can primer, but everything else was hand painted. I also used a lot more water based paints for the initial colors as well as weathering, although I am still using mineral spirits for some of the wash effects. I am hoping to eventually move away from the mineral spirits and towards water based weather washes down the road so as not to stink up the house with solvent fumes. So far this hand painted method seems to work with solid color paint schemes, but I have to see if it will work satisfactorily with camouflage paint schemes.

In the past I would build, paint and photograph the model in its 'pristine' state prior to weathering, for example:

SdKfz2343PaintFrt01WEB.jpg

Then I would weather the model additively, with a tendency to overdo it (especially the spattering):

SdKfz234-3v1Frt01WEB.jpg

Now, there is no 'pristine' state, as the weathering effects appear right from the get go:

ZSU-23-4M02PntFrt01WEB.jpg

So after the initial painting the rest of the weathering goes very quickly:

SyrianShilkav1Frt01WEB.jpg

I am still testing things out and I really want to see if camouflage will work. I'll post the results, good or bad.

NecronautDrummer said:
Stunning! Realistic or not, heavy or not, your multi-toned and multi-color panel approach really adds to the richness and realism of the model.

Thanks! I have had the benefit of watching the incredible Syrian combat footage from ANNA news, which led me to try the multi-toned 'scavenged parts' look. Prior to my break from modeling due to work I was heavily into WWII German and Soviet armor, but after seeing all the ANNA videos I have been really inspired to build modern armor based on present day events.

Looks really good :)

I use only acrylic to avoid the solvents - and with the different mediums available , you can produce similar results given by oils ( if not equal results )

Looking forward to your next step into the camo .
I really like the disparate effects on this one ;D

Cheers !

i'd really love to see this kit from the original post but none of teh images open up for me!

Latest posts

Back