1/33 Airco DH.6

Those wings look really neat Fruit ,takes me back to my Radio control flying scale builds ...hundreds of ribs !!!!
Im guessing the stuff is for rigging, control cables ,struts , wing spars ...etc ?

Chris.

Thanks guys! Again, I totally appreciate the interest :)

Chris - now that's just being unspecific ;D [Again, I keed, I keed! ;)]

IMG_7325.jpg

Well, I really shouldn't be posting this picture since it really is quite "raw" - and I'm taking this picture with practically no lighting :( [I promise I'll take better photos starting tomorrow!] I just got really excited when I finished rolling the last of the major wings, and wanted to show you guys how it's progressing.

I'm not sure if you guys can see it just yet, but on the wings surfaces I've embossed some wing tapes. I must have spent 5 hours just rolling 4 wings - simply to get the correct form of the airfoil.

So tomorrow, I'll edge paint the wings, fix anything that looks out of place - and apply some oils to the wings/fuselage.

Hi fruit the picture looks okay to me.
I know what you mean because I'm having a lot of trouble with the XF 85 fuselage trying to get it to curve in the cone shape with no wrinkles and keep pulling away for another day.
Yours is going very well but you only got nine days left I am really pulling for you to get this finished in time.
Alan

Fruit, this thing is fantastic my friend. :eek:

I would love to see you do a video of the paper model building process.

I looks like a different skill set is required for some elements, i wouldn't know where to start? ::)

Brilliant stuff buddy :D

Gag

I can scratch build a large mecha from nothing, but i know that there is no way i could build a plane like that the same way you did.
Awesome!. 8)

Yip ...Starting to look like an ole bird now ;D Great work Fruit ,keep it coming ....not long to go :)

Chris.

looks fantastic fruit! ;D these paper and wood planes look like a bunch of fun, i see them at hobbycraft and always want to get. ;D keep up the good work!

Quick last day update -

I'm thinkin' 10 more hours and I'll have this one rapped up! Unfortunately, my final pictures will be under artificial light :(, so contest pictures won't look all that great (very unfortunate)

OK, I've got a lot of stuff still to finish, but here's what it looks like right now:

IMG_7380.jpg

Thankfully, all the major/minor sub assemblies are complete, and all that's left is weathering/putting it all together.

I amsure it will look totally awesome!!!
Last year I voted for one of your planes!
At least I think it was yours.
This years competition is gonna be scary!

Thanks Mike!

But I think you're mistaking me with someone else, I never finished my entry last year :'(
(Torrid Tessie, by far the most coolest metallic paper model - all thanks to ... the designer's name escapes me...)

CT,

Entry was sent a while ago, it'll be under the Juniors category. I won't post final pictures here - unless I feel some nice lighting later on today :)

Post build notes/remarks!

So I finished ;D I'm extremely happy - this is the first time I finished one of those pre-printed kits! (Big moment ;D) I think in my BSC Final Build description, I recorded over 100 hours. But to be honest, I must have spent over 200 :-\ And unfortunately, my skills aren't enough to best rigging, so I had to leave that out of the Skyhook.

But on the bright side, I was able to try out new techniques, especially weathering - dot filter, shading, the works. The dot filter had the largest impact on this model. I mean, here's a comparison:

[Pre-dot filter/weathering - actual printed colors]

IMG_7325-1.jpg

[Post-dot filter/weathering - PC10 had an olive drabish tint (At least from what I researched) when fresh from the factory. But after time, PC10 weathered to a brown from sun exposure.]

IMG_7389.jpg

So yeah! I think the end result was worth it - at least from my perspective! I'll be honest though, I had to wrestle with this kit so, so many times. At one point I was going to throw the thing out the window!

Anyways, in reality, the DH.6 was a terrible aircraft - as per 1900 aviators recollections. The DH.6 was prone to crashing, cruising at really slow speeds (60 mph?) and generally was a nuisance. Aviation instructions would label their students as huns (ironic huh? ;D), because the DH.6 would end up killing both the instructors and the students. It was used as a trainer aircraft, as well as light recon until the 1917-1920's when it was tested as a naval aircraft.

I can guarantee that a google search of 'Airco DH.6 model', will give you only two proper results. One is a really vintage plastic kit by a company that escapes my name and so does the scale - 1/72 scale I believe. The other is the Orlik kit.

Although the DH.6 was certainly not the best in reality, it makes for a fun and rewarding build. Do try it out when you get the chance!

Well, that's it, that's all!
;D

Lovly finiah Fruit im Glad you made it to the end and finished her, Well done bud.

Latest posts

Back