1/32nd WW1 German Lozenge pattern decals (Aviattic)

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
www.aviattic.co.uk

DSCF2541.jpg

I would like to introduce you to the new kids on the block as far as WW1 Lozenge decals go . Aviattic have been working on and researching both four & five colour Lozenge patterns for German WW1 aircraft for quite some considerable time ! But their hard work has resulted in what I think is probably the BEST looking lozenge decal I have seen to date !!

Today I recieved a sample pack (Thanks Richard & Harry ) of Four colour lozenge to fit a 1/32nd scale Fokker DVII .Which I believe is only the start of what is to become an extensive range of decals for WW1 aircraft modellers .Indeed in a short note Richard wrote to me he says the 1/48 sets should be ready in the next few weeks ! ...Looking forward to that .

Ok ,lets have a look at some Lozenge . The set I recieved contained three A4 sheets .

Sheet 1 contains the main upper & lower wing panels ,including the seperate control surfaces and a spare set of wing tips ,which is a nice touch and very handy in case you make a slight error . Note also some spare colour patches ,again may come in handy ...

DSCF2542.jpg

DSCF2550.jpg

Sheet 2 contains full length strips of Lozenge which are used to make up the fuselage 'sock' and may also be used on the tail feathers if required .There is Four full width strips and one half width on the sheet .

DSCF2543.jpg

Sheet 3 contains full width strips of interior 'Reveresed' print of both the upper & lower colours ,very useful for cockpits ,and indeed should you wish to do a workshop scene ..wings being recovered ...etc .

DSCF2545.jpg

Also included is a full set of instructions on how to use the decals .(these are not quite the same as normal decals ,so instructions need to be followed)

DSCF2558.jpg

Another nice touch is the inclusion of a small leaflet telling you everything you need to know about Lozenge fabric ,and gives you links to very useful information .

DSCF2559.jpg

Ok ...so we've all seen Lozenge decals done before right ! What sets Aviattic's apart from the rest ? Well I will tell you .
Look closely at the pic below , can you see the fabric weave on the decal ? It looks even better in the flesh I can assure you ! , Not only are the colours spot on ,but the linen weave features in the print too ...clever eh !!

DSCF2547.jpg

What you maybe cant see to well in the above pic is the overlap in the colour print ,which did occur in the original fabric print ,you can see it better here on the interior print ,but again I can assure you its visible on the exterior colours too ...

DSCF2555.jpg

Pretty cool stuff isnt it !

Conclusion...
First impressions ..... Well to be truthful , I have to say that this is the most realistic Lozenge print I have seen , In my opinion the colours are perfect ,there are joins in the fabric where there should be ,The weave effect being present is a real bonus , I have never seen that done before and looks totally convincing .I honestly can't say enough about this stuff.

If you wish to purchase these decals ,they are available only through ebay at the moment ,this is only temporary while the Aviattic online shop is being worked on .In future you will be able to buy straight from their site.

ebay link ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.XAVIATTIC.TRS0&_nkw=AVIATTIC&_sacat=0&_from=R40

But please be sure to check out the site for lost of other intersting things & info , or drop into the facbook page and like it for more updates .

Aviattic..
www.aviattic.co.uk www.facebook.com/aviattic

I will be conducting some tests with these decals over the next few days and shall report my findings ....So be sure to check back .

I would like to thank Richard & Harry for sending me this review sample ,I can see a very bright future ahead guys ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back