1/32 Trumpeter P-40B

The next major construction stage is to work on the cockpit.

This begins with framing in the pit. Bulheads and frames. After putting in the bulkheads each stringer was cut to fit. I used .020 by .040 strip for the bulkhead. I used .020 square strip for the stringers.

Cockpit-6_zpssrnsixt5.jpg
Cockpit-5_zpsrpq9t9xc.jpg

And how it looks all together. Taped of course.

Cockpit-4_zps199steks.jpg

Now there are a couple of major flaws in the pictures. One I have fixed the other I will live with.

Moving right along and actually kind of quick with this part so far.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

How about a long overdue, a month since the last one, update????

When last we saw our hero the framing for the cockpit had been readied and installed. We had prepared to begin to start detailing.

This update is all about the seat frame and the port side.

Working off of several pictures work began with the electrical panels and the throttle control. Using strip, rod, tube, and scrap plastic the panels were fashioned. After they were ready some little odds and ends on the port side were fashioned to match the pictures.

The port side.

Cockpit-Port-Side1_zpslqmfbjv5.jpg

I also worked on the seat framing. This is not 100% accurate but needed to have a bit more strength than what I could see for a plastic frame. I canibalized a seat from the parts box and have it in place temp.

Cockpit-Port-Side-2_zpsypaf2pdf.jpg

And finally just a glimpse of what this looks like, minus the port detail, with the fuselage together.

Cockpit-7_zpsgyznkxcs.jpg

That is about all the detail seen in my pictures for the Port side. Next up will be to work on the Starboard side.

Joe

On to the Starboard side of the cockpit. A little of detail but to be honest I missed a couple of things that I will have in the next update.

Radio boxes, a light, and the canopy handle dominate this side.

Starboard-Side-1_zpso4yxn77c.jpg
Starboard-Side-2_zpsvbs9frqw.jpg
Starboard-Side-3_zpsvjcfgnbf.jpg

Now let me back up a bit, playing with different camera settings. Here are a couple of shots of the Port side using a different background and different settings.

Cockpit-Port-Side-3_zpsbbqlacrl.jpg
Cockpit-Port-Side-4_zpso9lm62jo.jpg
Cockpit-8_zpslru8k9we.jpg

Next up will be the top of the wing/floor of the cockpit.

Joe

My friends most of the cockpit is now ready for paint.

There are a few things that I have not worked yet but they can be done at paint.

I added a box on the starboard side, reworked the frame a bit, reworked the instrument panel to add some detail that was lacking, and added just a couple of things to the floor/top of the wing.

Cockpit-Port-Side-5_zpswzy0dboq.jpg
Starboard-Side-4_zpsuqd2mtqj.jpg
Cockpit-10_zpsyg0wtgxg.jpg
Cockpit-9_zpsjc1fvdkj.jpg

This section is now far enough that I can move on.

Next up will be the firewall and the engine compartment moving into the engine.

Many thanks all for sticking around this long.

Joe

The final phase of construction is to work on the firewall and the engine area. The engine will be an entirely separate thing and will be covered while I install it permanently.

The firewall included a couple of tanks as well as a base for some plumbing and the throttle linkages.

Firewall-5_zpstg4wz3zb.jpg
Firewall-4_zpsrkuhogqf.jpg
Firewall-3_zpsfqmiwzgy.jpg
Firewall-6_zpsvg1r1bwo.jpg

And with it inplace in the fuselage.

Firewall-1_zpsnw9svlyo.jpg
Firewall-2_zpsybcpw0fp.jpg

Now I have also added just a few stringers for detail on the interior of the fuselage. Next for me will be to begin to paint.

Joe

Ok folks I have reached a point where it would be advisable to start the paint work.

All the prep work is done, I think. Bulkheads are installed, with the exception of the forward most as they need to be removable yet. The little bits and pieces are prepped for paint. The tail wheel assembly is in place.

Prep-1_zps5a3tw6za.jpg
Prep-3_zpsu6lzwtxe.jpg
Prep-2_zps1e1llokk.jpg
Prep-4_zpskvdz8fgt.jpg

Paint was sprayed starting with a flat black base. I wanted to try something a bit different and changed midstream to putting a coat of Model Master Aluminium Plate on then I sprayed the interior colors. I did however forget to take pictures of that. I wanted to see if the Aluminium changed the Interior Green and the Yellow Zinc Chromate. It did but not so much as you would really see it.

Paint-1_zpss5atcey1.jpg
Paint-3_zpszag7cvp5.jpg
Paint-2_zps7wmtftgy.jpg

I also began to paint and detail paint the interior pieces.

Cockpit-11_zps1dspoqyq.jpg
Cockpit-12_zpszjy6gcmn.jpg

That is where it stands at the moment. Now the challenge will be to work on the firewall more and on to the engine work. I am choosing to not install the bits and pieces as of yet as they could break free during the process and I do not want to lose them.

Joe

Many many thanks.

Update time:

Engine compartment and Engine work.

The engine is the kit parts, added are hoses and such.

Engine-Compartment-7_zps4bedpuor.jpg
Engine-Compartment-9_zpst4culium.jpg
Engine-Compartment-8_zpsqowyrzpi.jpg

The firewall.

Engine-Compartment-6_zpsetjfu4qw.jpg
Engine-Compartment-5_zpsu4akwhwm.jpg

With some additions.

Engine-Compartment-3_zpseisf8a1i.jpg
Engine-Compartment-4_zps6jvwrsc6.jpg

And just how much will you actually see when done???

Engine-Compartment-2_zps1x50csjn.jpg
Engine-Compartment-1_zpswvjscgsy.jpg

Well not much really. Again this is not 100% accurate. Some issues occurred during the process and some things did not get installed. Maybe the next time.

This took a while so my goal was not reached. I had hoped to get this weathered but that did not happen. Also I have not finished the exhausts yet. That will have to wait till the next update.

Joe

An update, a rather quick moving one.

First up is finishing up the engine. Exhausts are now added.

Engine-Compartment-10_zpsqrx779xl.jpg
Engine-Compartment-11_zpsftoy00hp.jpg

Next up is to actually begin the painting process. Some may ask why, why do that prior to gluing all of the bits and pieces? Well simple really. I am a bit scared when it comes to painting around that cut away bit. For that reason I choose to paint it now and then when I get it all together I can go back over the bits and touch up.

First up is my usual, a coat of Flat Black.

Paint-5_zpswiwuml4q.jpg
Paint-4_zpsnmynlak7.jpg

Next up is to break this up just a bit. I choose to use Model Master Aluminium Plate. This is sprayed on randomly. This is to break the monotone of the top colors.

Paint-7_zpsdgiagn4k.jpg
Paint-6_zpsoqihpjp7.jpg

I then sprayed Pollyscale colors, Dark Earth, and Dark Green. I used homemade paper masks. To be honest they worked ok but they could have been so much better. The paints on the other hand again do not impress me. They are some of the most difficult I have used.

Paint-8_zpsutb70pwe.jpg
Paint-10_zpsgjaxvdnj.jpg
Paint-9_zpsfcku7ayk.jpg
Paint-11_zpseh0oqkch.jpg

Being up front about it, any tone modulation in the paint are strictly because I either sprayed too heavy, not heavy enough, or otherwise screwed up. It might just work for what I intend though.

Next up will be to begin the reconstruction of the interior and the permanent installation of the assorted pieces.

Joe

Latest posts

Back