1/32 Trumpeter P-40B

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
Well folks I just had to jump again.

This subject is another attempt at my first cut away. The 1/32 Trumpeter P-40B.

I will be trying to improve.

Boxart_zpsvrugzooh.jpg

More to come.

Joe

Nice. I am doing the sister plane to that one.....Not very well I might add as it is the first model I have done since a little kid. :)

Keep us posted.

After a couple of weeks of nothing here I am again.

Where to begin?

First up is to mock up the firewall, cockpit floor, and bulkhead #6 which is the aft bulkhead of the cockpit.

A touch of modification as the cockpit floor is actually the top of the wing. Trumpeter actually has this much too high in the pit. A piece of strip on the back of the firewall will help in position. Two strips of styrene glued as a cross section of the pit floor will help as well. An extension is needed on the aft bulkhead to get it to match up to the floor.

Cockpit-1_zpscdszz6fb.jpg

Work is begun on the bulkheads aft the pit. This begins with getting the shape with a contour guage, tracing the shape to paper, rough fitting to the interior of the fuselage side, tracing to a piece of sheet styrene, cutting it out, sanding to shape. Easy enough. These are just a rough cut of the bulkheads, there is much detailing to do yet to these.

Bulkheads_zpsqw1y7y4r.jpg

They are roughed and ready. I have now the bulkheads #7 to #14 which puts them to the tail wheel.

Next up will be to work on the wing. This will be the first of the cutting and reconstruction. Have not even scratched the surface yet.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are welcome.

Joe

I always enjoy your build threads Joe. Following along.

Jason

Jason I am glad you enjoy them. Many thanks for following along.

Joe

To keep in line with how I want to present this I bring to you a small update.

Prior to cutting any holes in the wing or fuselage I made some rough bulkheads. One of the latest sessions saw the use of Dremmel and knives to cut away sections of the fuselage.

First uncut.

Uncut-1_zpsmh0w5fuz.jpg
Uncut-2_zpsjlth8tzy.jpg

Then after a bit of time, the cuts.

Cuts-1_zps964ilezj.jpg

Some little stuff was accomplished prior to the cutting as well. I have some frames roughed for the wing.

Wing-1_zpsmklr27gp.jpg
Wing-2_zpsa6mj3czy.jpg

Now after the cutting and grinding was done I test fit the roughed bulkheads and found that several were much too small. So much for measure twice and cut once. My next step is to redo the bulkheads. I also need to work a bit on the pit floor to extend it to the back of the wing root.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Well it has been going on a month since I last updated this thread. As for quantity there is not a lot. However there is some progress.

There are frames in the wing.

Wing-3_zpsr4z4ctiy.jpg

Now they are not fixed permanently, they are spot glued in to make sure they fit right.

There is also some progress on my renditions of the wing guns.

Guns-1_zpskmmfsote.jpg
Guns-2_zpsz7nngudz.jpg

Like I said it does not look like much but it is progress. I am much happier with the wing guns now.

Next up will be a box for the guncarriage and the guns. Need to find a bit more on the interior of the wing as there does appear to be a whole lot of empty there.

Till the next time,

Joe

Many thanks.

I am working off of drawings and the measurements that I get from the kit itself.

Joe

Just a quick update.

Work continued on the wing. Frames are now installed and the gun bay as well as the ammo box. Tonight the stringers were installed.

Wing-6_zpslvumhiok.jpg
Wing-5_zpsy58vdrgo.jpg
Wing-4_zps14nla6bq.jpg

Next up will be the interior of the flaps.

Joe

Well it happened yet again.

Wing work volume 2.

The ammo chute is redone, two frames are redone, and the stringers are now redone. Seems every step forward is followed by two or ten steps back.

First was to strip out the offending parts.

Wing-9_zpsfnbrenfn.jpg

Than with everything replaced.

Wing-8_zpsqysqdlyn.jpg

I also had worked some on the flap interiors.

Wing-7_zpsqmcotijz.jpg

Now to move forward.

Joe

Bonus material time....

As I started out today I thought why not show what I was doing. Just a small assembly but it is worth the time.

Today I began by cleaning up the bulkheads. Remember those....

Bulkheads_zpsqw1y7y4r.jpg

Well I began with punching out a hole, the largest my punch set has, and then using the dremel I worked the bulkheads out to where they looked more like they do in my drawings. I then went in with 320 sandpaper and cleaned them up.

Bulkheads-2_zpsgz2b3qzj.jpg

Once that was done I was able to start on the fuel cell. Using bulkhead #7 as a reference I sketched out the form, that was cut out, cleaned up, and then used as a master to form 3 pieces of sheet styrene. I then cut two pieces of tube styrene, size isnt important as long as it fits. I glued the tube to the sheet and then put them all together.

Fuel-Cell-1_zpsbkza0dp2.jpg

I then used .010 sheet styrene and skinned the framework. Also using the same bulkhead I fashioned a stand to keep the fuel cell in place.

Fuel-Cell-2_zpsqpzslw2y.jpg

Just that simple.

Ok next will be to continue to work the interior, most likely starting with the tail and moving forward. I do need to add detail to most of the bulkheads as well as the fuel cell.

I hope you enjoyed the bonus.

Joe

I am glad you like them. Appreciate you looking in.

Joe

Wow. It really is amazing what can happen when we move past a stumbling block.

Just a bit of an update:

Work has commenced on the interior begining with the tail wheel assembly. This does not represent 100% accuracy as I needed to make sure there was stability and strength as well.

Tail-Wheel-1_zpsfwiyljnc.jpg

Before I go too far I really need to open up the access door on the fuselage. For that first a template is made out of aluminium foil which is taped to an aluminium can, cut out, and cleaned up a bit.

Access-Door-1_zpsro7rsp1e.jpg

Next is to drill out the door. Let the drilling begin.

Cuts-2_zpsnituppx5.jpg

And drilled out.

Cuts-3_zpssruab38z.jpg

Next will be to clean up the cut and then I can put in stringers and back plates.

Joe

Moving right along with the interior work.

First up was to clean up the access door and then attach a backing plate.

Access-Door-2_zps39uc34zt.jpg

Once that was completed I moved on to putting the stringers in place. These are .020 hex rod.

Stringers-1_zpslt6wjrwk.jpg

With that done the part of the builds that I truly enjoy could begin. The interior work.

First up was to prep bulkheads 8 and 9 for radio equipment. I took some time and set up the racks to mimic what I have seen in pictures.

Bulkheads-3_zpsabtt4kdr.jpg

The next step of course was to actually build up the radio equipment. Now indulge me on this.

From left to right. Radio boxes both recieving and transmitting, dynamotor and antenna switch box, junction box, and the reciever and transmitter.

SCR-183---1_zpsi6gdbjo6.jpg

Now with that ready, before I can add the wiring, I am going to need to do some painting I think. I may just move on and continue the construction of interior assemblies. Thinking on this.

Joe

Just a quick update.

Spent some time getting some of the internal details constructed. Again they are not 100% but they will work for what I need.

The hydraulic pump.

Hydraulic-Pump%20-%20Copy_zpsj8qv4ogh.jpg

And the landing gear/flap unit

Landing-Gear-Flaps-Unit%20-%20Copy_zpsfvcpahdu.jpg

I have also begun to frame in the cockpit.

Cockpit-3%20-%20Copy_zpsbrndxunl.jpg
Cockpit-2%20-%20Copy_zpsqdx6hf6o.jpg

I will be doing some crossmembers for the stringers. These will only be there to make sure the detail has a place to anchor.

Joe

Latest posts

Back