1/32 Tamiya F-15E

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting an update posted but I've been pretty busy at work this week. This morning I did get a bit more done on the big F-15. First I went back and touched up a few areas where I didn't get good coverage and where I had to sand out some hair/dust. After that I went back and did some post shading and sealed it up with future. After that I got started with the Metalizer work.

photo2_zps6920a3af.jpg

photo1_zps7192ab7e.jpg

Up next will be the metalizer work on the underside and then painting the wheel bays.

Thanks for following along!

congrats on the newest addition to the family :). That is great looking bird indeed very cool.It seems like a kit worth getting one day.

Nice job! Is your pre-shading still showing through? Maybe its just my eyes...Awesome looking plane so far.The metalizer on those afterburners is spot on!

Maverick said:
Nice job! Is your pre-shading still showing through? Maybe its just my eyes...Awesome looking plane so far.The metalizer on those afterburners is spot on!

Thanks Maverick! Due to the glare from the lights and the layer of future, the pre-shade looks a lot more subdued on the recent pictures. I can assure you that with the naked eye it's visible, it'll also come through some more again when I hit everything with a coat of flat.

Here are a few more pics showing the subtle effects of the pre-shade and the post-shade.
IMG_0074_zpsa11de8e1.jpg
IMG_0075_zps251546f2.jpg
IMG_0076_zpsefd4210f.jpg

Verdict?

Looks good Adam.
What did you use for your base colour and your post shade? Are you planning to lighten it with a fade after placing the decals?

Jason

I used the dark gull grey from the Italeri Modern U.S. Paint set. I lighted it up with some AK dust/yellow color. Can't remember which one now. Hahaha. I did go back and try to post shade a bit but I don't think it's coming through as much as I thought it would.

Mav a wash would help to bring out the panel lines, but a very dark wash would be needed for such a task here.

adampolo13 I used a dark marker to drawn in the panel lines on a NAW A-10 Warthog some years ago and blended the ink out to form the post shading. It was very time consuming and took a few days to complete but I had a dark base coat as you did and I was very happy with the result. I currently don't have a better pic but maybe this can shed some light on what I did.
A-104.jpg

Maverick said:
By post shade, do you mean wash? Sorry still learning some of the lingo.

No worries dude! We're all here to learn don't feel bad asking questions. Post-shade means I took the base coat and lightened it up with a buff or sand color and then painted the middle of the panels a lighter color. I still have more to do. I'm going to give the panels a wash etc.

Thanks again!

...so it was more of a post highlight, as you used a lighter color and were highlighting the panels and not adding more shadow to the panel lines.

I don't really see the pre-shade showing through in any of the photos, I think it could have been a little more 'drastic' although with such a dark color it's tough to pull off. I do see the highlighting inside the panels, it's subtle and should be a good effect as long as you don't add a lot of weathering on top to obscure it.

So... it looks good dude, now where are those decals?

thanks Ken! Decals you ask, welp, with my upcoming trip to the sunshine state this week, I think it'll be Saturday before I get back to this one. Look for an update with decals next weekend.

Latest posts

Back