1/32 Kinetic CF-18 Hornet complete!

Re: 1/32 Kinetic CF-18 Hornet

N.D. I've been following along - the CF-18 looks sharp, I like the paint work so far. I know it's a ways off, but would you be coming to the Alberta Open Model Contest (in Edmonton, May 28) this year?

Looking forward to the next update.

Jason

Wow,that is some nice paint work Sir
Looking very nice
Cheers

JMac said:
N.D. I've been following along - the CF-18 looks sharp, I like the paint work so far. I know it's a ways off, but would you be coming to the Alberta Open Model Contest (in Edmonton, May 28) this year?

Looking forward to the next update.

Jason

I certainly will! PM incoming...

It's been a while since an update.

We just finished Spring Break, so I took a week off from the model (aside from the odd little task here and there). This week, I am back at it and I intend to finish this model by this time next week.

62ADFBB8-39D7-4DE3-A5FF-A6765F11A65F_zpsl8d2idut.jpg
I scrubbed off the salt residue, applied a couple clear coats, and applied the Dark Grime Flory Wash. I then applied a couple satin coats to seal everything in.

D923103A-8453-4E2F-812B-E84B38E9C719_zpsp0bqcxmk.jpg
I have started attaching the detail parts all over the aircraft, such as these pitot tubes. They were painted in Vallejo Metal Color Exhaust Manifold, as seen on the actual aircraft. The small vanes on the side were painted with a mix of Steel and Dark Aluminum, just to dull them down a bit.

24F26AAF-94F6-48CE-8C68-C50AEC6A1685_zpse6vsfbhn.jpg
The stores pods are all finished, and the fuel pods and weapons just need some final weathering before they can get attached.

A810EB1C-68E5-4888-AD3F-1DFAC150C91D_zpsossj845t.jpg
I have been working on the rear landing gear for the last few days. They are now assembled, attached, and base-coated. They will need some weathering yet, in order to match the front landing gear. I'll do that tomorrow night and I'll also attach the gear doors all around the aircraft.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone! The finish line is in sight now!
C7A543D0-A063-4BE3-A075-14E70209140D_zpsrx45iynh.jpg
FDD2DECD-BE2D-4B7A-BD6D-CD364219C077_zpsoxtpilzf.jpg
D0C163FC-011E-4887-BE28-831D951AA67B_zpscyfhome0.jpg
After attaching all the tiny sensors, I broke out the oil paints and started adding more paint texture, wind streaking, and grime & soot in a few areas. The only thing left off the bottom right now is the FLIR pod. I saw some reference pics, and I think its paint needs some modifying. In the meantime, this will dry off for a few days. I am very tempted to NOT flat-coat it. The sheen of the gloss undercoat and the matte oil-paint effects seems to add a little 'heft' or 'mass' to the model.

Based on the photos, I agree with you on skipping the flat coat - gives the weathering a almost "layered" appearance. The overall finish looks almost satin. Looks good.

Final update!
IMG_1256_zpskjlxhod6.jpg
This. Tis was supposed to be a clear red lens, but the carpet monster got to it. I am currently taking my time filling it with a food colouring/canopy glue mix. It will take a few days for the layers to build up and cure so it is level with the rest of the aircraft. Other than that...

IMG_1255_zpsp8mjgnaw.jpg
IMG_1258_zpsecl7fbgi.jpg
IMG_1259_zpsnhodmamy.jpg
IMG_1260_zpse8cozv48.jpg
...I am calling it finished!!

I'll wait until the red lens is filled before I shoot and post up my final reveal photos. ;D

Sweet ;D

Food coloring in canopy glue .
How deep can you go per application ?

urumomo said:
Sweet ;D

Food coloring in canopy glue .
How deep can you go per application ?

I'm using Formula 502 PVA glue, and while I totally flood and fill up the void, it shrinks back to about a 1 mm thickness. It will likely be another 3-4 fill applications before I'm satisfied with it.

Tamiya clear acrylics don't dissolve in PVA, they turn into a gooey, swirly mess. Food colouring dissolves quickly and easily though.

For my second airplane model kit ever since I was just a kid, I think I did pretty good. I certainly bit off a lot, going with a $200+ model kit and chucking a bunch of pricey resin and photo-etch on top of that. However, I have wanted to model one of our armed forces' own CF-18's for a long time.
This is a re-box of Academy's 1/32 Hornet kit, and it has come out in a variety of different formats, releases, models, upgrades, etc. This was likely the most versatile version (F/A-18A, B, C, and D for US Navy, US Marines, and Canada), and allows one to very closely model one of our Canadian Hornets pretty effectively, right out of the box.

Lessons learned from this build...
Finishing: Using an almost DRY brush to work your oils can pleasantly soften up your effects. As well, don't CA everything together; PVA is a pretty effective bonding agent and it wipes away with a moist cotton bud.
With painting: I learned how to do a decent pre-shade, I experimented with some under-paint effects to vary and break up the overall gray tone of the model and paint-work, and I also tried salt-mottling for the first time.
Construction: how to and how NOT to straighten warped plastic. How gap-fill a variety of problems (thanks to Phil at Flory Models and his Mig-21 MF build for that).

Final pics...

DSC_0035_zpsqc8umywk.jpg

DSC_0028_zpssjxhxunz.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsz95lai3n.jpg

DSC_0065_zpsplog8tk0.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsjcmmpalc.jpg

DSC_0090_zpsigbbargg.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsjaptyynj.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsow6rq5mk.jpg

DSC_0097_zpswfjdyp1s.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsgfv1lvaz.jpg