1/32 Hasegawa Ki-84

glad to help! there may be some things you're already thinking, so maybe we can help confirm those thoughts...

the wire antenna should be taught. it's something i try to maintain during builds (its really tough!). every little bump loosens it a bit. some people use stretched sprue and gently drift over it with a hot blade after application to tighten it. personally, that method is too touchy and still fragile to me, which is why i use wire. however, the scale and connecting points on yours look appropriately in scale.

while i love the chipping effect you've re-created, are there references you used for such a pattern? i see this method working really interestingly well for perhaps a sci-fi vessel. i could be wrong but my understanding of pacific theater sand and salt chipping on actual aircraft was (is) a little more fine grained and concentrated on leading edges. of course im no expert on wwii japanese painting techniques so maybe it just comes down to more research? barring that, logical assumptions of actual use?

propeller-wise, i think the splotchy chipping is more out-of-effect. which is to say it doesnt make as much sense if it had seen a lot of use. perhaps more chipping on the tip of the spinner and a little more smoothened wear on the leading edge of the prop blades.

lastly, maybe a little more rust on the flaps neighborhood? but again, that's another area that would benefit from historical research, which i am not fluent in for this particular bird...

either way, i still voted for you. :) she's a fantastic bird and your level of skill is well-proven. could be that it's just subject matter that doesn't appeal to the voting constituency as much as modern jets...

cheers

Hey nichilas

Thanks for the critiques. its always nice to see another modelers point of view.

has far has reference goes ive got a couple of book(2 out of 3 in Japanese ::) ) and my chipping might be a little too much but really not that far. Japanese plane had pain trouble unlike american one
WiKi said:
These colors were often applied on an unprimed airframe; because of this and the poor adhesion of Japanese paints in the later years of the war this scheme often weathered quickly, with large patches of natural metal being visible

Here is a pic from wiki
Ki-43s_and_Ki-84s.jpg

has far has rust well its an aluminium airframe so that didnt happen much

You are right about the propeller and definitely about the antenna. i like the idea of the stretched sprue im gona put that in practice on my next build for sure. i use cooper wire for this one and wile installing in it kinda got messy...

Keep em coming this is helpfull and its not about the vote result !!! i dont mind that too much. I had my moment of glory last year :p

Personally I think you did a great job on it... but you want critique so here's some points I spot:

- Like mentioned above, the antenna wire should be taught... that really ruined the scale. The stretched sprue would work, but I would save that for the very last thing you do on the kit that way you minimize the amount of handling you make to it and the chances of breaking/bending/distorting that wire.
- Even thou I can see where you were going with the weathering effect from the reference pic you showed, it was a bit over done. The big splotchy areas just didn't work. I would have concentrated on the leading edges where the most wear would have taken place and made the chipping effect finer in detail. One thing I learned over the years, less can be more! I don't know how many times I've had to stop myself from going over board with my weathering. I would have focused on the panel lines themselves. It would have given it a more natural look to it and would have looked more to scale and brought those panel lines out more.
- One thing you could have done was if you were going for the "sitting in the graveyard" look, open up a couple of access panels and show the engine or wires/cables underneath. Make it look like it was scavenged for parts here and there. Maybe even create little damage to a wing to show why it's sitting in the graveyard to begin with. It faught bravely but it's fighting days are over. If you look at the photo the cowling over the engine was missing. That would be a great opportunity to scratch build a engine or even show that it's missing. Maybe even have wires hanging out of the cockpit to show that the panel was removed. That would have put it over the top visually and even told a story about the plane itself.

Other then those areas I think you did a wonderful job on this kit. You truly got a grasp on the mechanics of weathering and painting... now it's just time to dial in the details. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the feedback's this can only help make the next one better!

Neo

Latest posts

Back