1/24 Toyota Hilux 4wd Double Cab Truck

wrosado

Here's my entry for the contest. I'm a fan of the Toyotas.

My first task is to strip all the chrome from the drivetrain. ;D

wrosado_SMA_contest+Entry_2.jpg

wrosado_SMA_contest+Entry_3.jpg

wrosado said:
Here's my entry for the contest. I'm a fan of the Toyotas.

My first task is to strip all the chrome from the drivetrain. ;D

8520276370_898693cfc2_c.jpg
Your image isn't showing. Make sure it's marked as Public in your Flickr account. For Flickr, click the image and pick the size you want in your PhotoStream. Right click it and pick Copy Image Address. Paste this into the reply here in the forum using the first button in the lower bar. The one of Icons just above the text box that says Insert Image when you roll over it. It puts something like this into the post box (img)(/img) and your image link to flickr goes between them.

ScaleDale

Hi will...welcome!! Yup, the pics are working now!! Nice choice for the BSC...good luck!!

Cave_Dweller said:
Nice truck, are you gonna mud it up? How is your chrome stripping going and what are you using?

Thanks guys.

Yes it will be mudded up and stuff. I might play around and make some custom bumpers like a stinger bumper and some rock sliders... the kit comes with lots of option parts like roll bars and axles housings and skid plates and lights. Needless to say, there's a lot of directions i can go with this kit.

I stripped the chrome with bleach gel. I expected to have to leave it over night but it stripped the chrome within seconds. I didn't take before or after pics but I did make a video of the unboxing and might grab pics of the chrome pieces. All the drivetrain, wheels, bumper, wipers were chromed out. Not really into that much chrome in those areas.

I'll probably stick to factory colors for the '92 toyotas but i'll see once i get to the body.

Hey

So had a chance to work on the kit a bit this week. The kit comes with option parts but seems the parts are for giving the truck a stockheight appearance with the super swamper tires. I chose to go with the lifted look and the stock yota rear axle.

I'm using Vallejo Model air primer and paints on the kit. I'm also using the Vallejo Chipping medium. Don't know if I like it. Seems to leave the area that is wet and chipped with a gloss finish after the "chipping" is done. hopefully when It will even out when I flat coat the kit and add some weathering.

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Rust coat

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Here's the result of using the vallejo chipping medium. sprayed on kinda orange peely and left a glossy "stain"... doesn't matter since i'll be weathering with pigments as well.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

I think the orange peel actually adds to the part. But I would be worried about it somewhere else. Nice work!

Thanks! yeah i'm not too worried about the axle. it's going to get some dry pigments weathering at the end so should be good.

The chipping medium is waterbased so next time i'll cut it with a few drops of water and see if it shoots smoother thru the airbrush.

btw - all those parts(except the chassis) were all chromed and stripped really well.

some updates... Let me know if the images show up for you guys...

Tried something new with the exhaust by painting it burnt. Started with black then vallejo model air steel and over that I used tamiya clear blue/yellow/orange for the burn marks. I then used Tamiya smoke color to blend all the tones together.

8703944766_773e2a8a29_o.jpg

Here are the wheels. they were chrome plated out of the box. I stripped the chrome and used Alclad 2 polished aluminum over the Alclad black gloss primer.
8703945220_847c583c6c_o.jpg

8702827385_e3b804ceee_o.jpg

8702827555_ff4f5348a1_o.jpg

8702827701_377c462c25_o.jpg

8702828429_a22a7eaefb_o.jpg

8702829043_b0a86a465b_o.jpg

8703949516_dc86a9ec06_o.jpg

8706395840_a9b21d388e_o.jpg

Working on the body now. need to do some putty work on the flares(gaps between flares and wheel wells)...I hope to be done by the deadline.

Thanks

Will

Latest posts

Back