1/24 Tamiya Honda City Cabriolet (hover conversion)

Marktastrophe

I'm picking up here from Original Post in Auto. First time using Milliput, I don't find it to be easy to model or work with at all, lol. Not sure if I got a bad batch or not. After posting here symptoms seem to be a mix of hot of the presses freshness, and possibly just unexpected.

Either way I tried to use it because even the "I don't like how this works/turned out" tests ended up being much more sand-able than my old container of Kneadatite. Fender Skirts made, hoping I can sand them to look flush and smooth without a second application of putty.

PXL_20220425_122053980.jpg
(And that ain't Cocaine, it's Corn Starch. Made a world of difference for mixing, but also made the putty dry out a little quicker than I'd like. )

I've tried tamyia epoxy... While it's expensive, it was relatively easy to work with.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Thank you for sharing.

I've tried tamyia epoxy... While it's expensive, it was relatively easy to work with.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Thank you for sharing.
I've got some Tamiya Basic Type Putty that I used a couple builds ago I like the way t sanded... but it smelled like sweet death, lol.
And it seemed like a synthetic plaster, had to get it down in one smooth wipe or it started crumbling, and it dried about s fast asI could spread it.

Really hoping the Milliput gets better with age.
On a build cooldown recovering from LASEK right now. Bandages off tomorrow though.

Cool concept, looking forward to it

as an aside. supposedly Apoxie Sculpt gets lots of rave reviews if you are looking for alternatives

I've ordered two different Electro Magnet rigs and neither work.... Being about $100 in (Waiting on a refund for at least half that now) for a base on a kit I paid $20 for makes me feel not good, lol.
This may end up mounting on an Acrylic rod instead of floating with magnets, we shall see what we can make happen with these electro magnets.

" This may end up mounting on an Acrylic rod instead of floating with magnets "

Boo . Hiss !!
What a rip off that will be . False advertising :D

Kinda off topic but tangentially related ,
Have you seen these things ? : https://www.movaglobes.com/shop/?gc...ozw_ocWzTgG98a_BhWTWGKbiocLjGg4EaArj-EALw_wcB

They look super cool when you don't see any reflection on the outer globe like you do here in their own videos . The effect is much more striking since they appear to defy reality :
https://www.movaglobes.com/how-mova-globe-works/
I want the Jupiter one . .. and the one of our Moon .

The fact it operates like that is one thing , but HOW they assemble it is more intriguing to me .
I'm gonna buy one and cut it open , lol .

Worry not! It will hover!
lol.

My desk has a 1" hollow steel tube frame that sits about an inch below the desktop. The desktop which is comprised of a 1/4 " plywood, various cloth patches, coasters, and stickers, 1/2" spacer, and 1/4" pane of glass.

The steel frame was still interfering with these magnets... lol

Haven't gotten the first base to work yet, but the one from banggood works just fine in the center of my desk, but not on the front half of it :D

PXL_20220514_190230376.jpg

" This may end up mounting on an Acrylic rod instead of floating with magnets "

Boo . Hiss !!
What a rip off that will be . False advertising :D

Kinda off topic but tangentially related ,
Have you seen these things ? : https://www.movaglobes.com/shop/?gc...ozw_ocWzTgG98a_BhWTWGKbiocLjGg4EaArj-EALw_wcB

They look super cool when you don't see any reflection on the outer globe like you do here in their own videos . The effect is much more striking since they appear to defy reality :
https://www.movaglobes.com/how-mova-globe-works/
I want the Jupiter one . .. and the one of our Moon .

The fact it operates like that is one thing , but HOW they assemble it is more intriguing to me .
I'm gonna buy one and cut it open , lol .
Lol, if you can't get it back together... this seems like an expensive learning exorcise, lol.

I see a seam on the inner-shell here:
1652711763286.png
The "Always level" inner-shell movement really reminds me of some StarWars kids toys from fastfood back in 1999-2000.
I'm guessing the exterior acrylic shell is vacuformed or cast on somehow... still impressive and not something I can actually picture in practice though.

Dude , that magnetic levitation is cool .
I want to make one big enough I can sit in - a levitating chair . lol . Out by the pool ; hide all the magno-power underground .

I see that seam on that globe -- I went back and looked at all of them again . They do a pretty good job of hiding that joint .
I want to know how they surround it with what appears to be a flawless spherical enclosure .
It would have to be 2 hemispheres that are bonded together , but no seam visible ? I guess the seam aligns with the seam on the inner portion in the photos so it's not visible .
I want to see one up close .

Really looking forward to you getting this Honda levitating !

I'm sure at some point in our lives we've all thought. "Electro Magnet infrastructure is ho we could have hover cars!" but holy interference would that be an undertaking, lol.

Floating chair by the pool would be cool, and doable... so long as all other things around the pool are wood and or concrete, lol. Or other non-ferromagnetic things.
For the spheres, I still wonder if a highly specialized Vacuform is being used, if it is just really clean and clever seam hiding (which seems wild since the outer sphere seems to move freely).
It is pretty wild though.
I also found this, which is just fun, but probably not entirely related, lol

^Warning, serious lack of PPE in this video, lol.

Here is the first test flight to make sure balance makes sense. Very early on in building still.
I need to pull the base apart, stop the plastic shell from being a mirror, and explore mounting it above a 100-140mm 5V fan to actively cool all the transistors that react to the PID programming on the bottom of the PCB.
PXL_20220516_190651662.jpg
I also want to sand and cleanup just a smidge more before priming this bad boy. After a grey prime I think I'm going to try a soft pink base coat before laying Neon/Fluorescent Orange to see if it helps it pop, like I've been reading. Also gotta run some LEDs before starting to glue shtuff down.

This kit came with some cool paper floormats, which makes me want to try to make the plastic seats look like cloth with paper/fiber and glue...

I suppose I should probably test that the electro magnet doesn't turn my little 1/4 W 430 Ohm resistor into some sort of uber resistor that only stops when it melts, lol. (not really likely, but again, gotta rule out interference)

Some of my pin vise bits have become magnetized from sitting about 10 inches from the electromagnet, and it's been used pretty minimally, lol.

I don't know what I'm watching there .
You're dropping it on plastic . -- or there are bits inside those ridges ?
It only let me watch it a few times and then wanted me to sign in .

Magnetized from 10 inches away ? Are you sure ?

Yes, there are bits in-between the ridges, and it is hard to tell, but it's rolling up an incline there as the case bows.

And 6-10 inches away, things shift around because I need to clean a bit.

Latest posts

Back