1/24 GMC Pickup w/ snow plow

I love the rust on this! It's coming out nice and grungy like an old work truck should!

I need to find a clear coat that wont dissolve the lacque

Use Future (thePledge floor wax) its amonia base and laquer wont damage it lots of airplane modelers use it has a clear coat between decals to prevent silvering

Neo said:
I need to find a clear coat that wont dissolve the lacque

Use Future (thePledge floor wax) its amonia base and laquer wont damage it lots of airplane modelers use it has a clear coat between decals to prevent silvering

Don't think Future is ammonia based, as ammonia is a cleaner, just a clear acrylic liquid, which is why Windex, which is ammonia based is so effective in cleaning an airbrush that had Future in it.

I really love the color scheme you chose for this. Be sure to get some washes and such on this..it will really tie the rust and the yellow/white together.

Looking really cool.

Thanks guys! I will be washing it heavily I think. Really like the AK washes, especially Track Rust. Also just got my shipment of new AK stuff in, notably Streaking Grime.

I'm experimenting with how to seal the chrome still. Tried the alclad flat koat, but it will in fact also dissolve their own paints, at least if applied with a q-tip. Since the wheels are already chromed and assembled with the tires, I'm hesitant to spray it on and risk getting it on things I don't want it.

But it did seem to stop the dissolution of the alclad paints on some test pieces, after I let it dry a bit and then applied some AK enamels.

One challenge I really want to do is make the windshield look dirty around the edges, but cleaned where the wipers are. I've experimented so far and the Citadel washes really simulate build up on the transparent pieces, but getting the arc of the windshield wipers right is going to be hard. Any suggestions?

This is one of the key details to making a really authentic looking winter vehicle, so it's important to me to get it right.

Hi Cave Dweller.
Have you tried making a mask out of tape to cover the area you want clear. It should be an easy one to make.

Jim

Papermodder said:
Hi Cave Dweller.
Have you tried making a mask out of tape to cover the area you want clear. It should be an easy one to make.

Jim

Yeah that's definitely the way to go. Gonna have to pre-cut it and get it on there right, will take some finesse I think.

There is an article out there on how to do that on a military vehicle, so could easily be used on a 1/25 vehicle as well.

Basically involves using one of those compasses we used in school to create the arc mask needed to mask off the wiper area.

Once they are done, place them on the windshield, and the spray on what you would like. Even just a matt varnish sprayed on will give you a light dirtyness, and of course you can go full monty with some pigments and dirt.

I just can't remember where I saw the article, can't remember if it was online or in a magazine, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I think it is something like, you put the point of the compass on where the wiper attaches to the vehicle, and the other end on the bottom of the wiper blade itself, and draw across, and it will give you the bottom arc, re-adjust the pencil end to the other end of the wiper and then draw the top arc. Then just cut it out and viola, Bob's your uncle.

Elm City Hobbies said:
There is an article out there on how to do that on a military vehicle, so could easily be used on a 1/25 vehicle as well.

Basically involves using one of those compasses we used in school to create the arc mask needed to mask off the wiper area.

Once they are done, place them on the windshield, and the spray on what you would like. Even just a matt varnish sprayed on will give you a light dirtyness, and of course you can go full monty with some pigments and dirt.

I just can't remember where I saw the article, can't remember if it was online or in a magazine, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I think it is something like, you put the point of the compass on where the wiper attaches to the vehicle, and the other end on the bottom of the wiper blade itself, and draw across, and it will give you the bottom arc, re-adjust the pencil end to the other end of the wiper and then draw the top arc. Then just cut it out and viola, Bob's your uncle.

Haha, thanks Uncle Bob, that's a good tip!

Have made some slow progress this weekend, mainly due to playing outrageous amounts of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Seriously, like both saturday and sunday gone! It was fun though ;D

I'm more or less on the final assembly stages now. All the chrome parts are sealed and glued on. I'm very disappointed with the alclad klear kote, which I airbrushed on per the instructions on the jar, and it caused some moderate dissolution of its OWN PAINT! WTF! Am I missing something here?

Still, the chromework is salvageable and I don't exactly want a fresh out of the factory look, and I plan on adding some rust and grime to the chrome.

Someone recommended I try Tamiya Smoke to seal the alclad, so I'll give that a go on the rims, which I didn't use the alclad sealer on.

Main things left to add now are all the lights, my PE windshield wipers and the plow itself. Would like to add some miscellaneous details inside the truck bed, like sandbags, shovels, chains etc. Found some decent scaled chain link at walmart for jewelry making, which is almost spot on for 1/24 scale.

Woohoo, update time!!!

More or less done with the body, still need to chrome the key slot and door handles, and some minor touch ups. Once that is done I'm gonna apply a totally unhealthy level of black grime and snow to this bad boy!

8618300508_095ed14189_b.jpg

8617195817_e888d25545_b.jpg

I'm so glad this kit included Colorado license plates, as that's where I live!

8617196527_650eab8f30_b.jpg

8617195191_7f98e99f6c_b.jpg

8617192687_06197e8e54_b.jpg

Here's the plow, but it still needs much work

8617193955_7e477368b7_b.jpg

Painting up the lights, I really love these Tamiya transparent colors, they're magical and wondrous!

8618301798_8fd254ab0f_b.jpg

Minus the snow plow this truck looks exactly like a truck my family had when I was a kid.

Looks great!

Looks awesome, love the spare tyre cover. There's nothing unhealthy about grime ;D

292a7f1dbfc5da0e15846173f5a24649_zps248518dc.jpg

http://youtu.be/OJ_l2hUVVbw

The only criticism I can offer is that the license plate is far too clean. Other than that, it looks great!

Grendels said:
The only criticism I can offer is that the license plate is far too clean. Other than that, it looks great!

Thanks Grendels, yeah I added them after washing, will have to wash over them. Hoping to finish it up this weekend!

Latest posts

Back