1/24 GMC Pickup w/ snow plow

Man where was this thing with the plow three weeks ago? I'm seeing a nice rusted plow on a shiny truck.

Cool

here is the best scheme ever for this truck

qxi1195.jpg

Just getting started on this. I'm trying to strip the chrome off with some Purple Power, a tip I'd read here. But it doesn't seem to be working. Been almost an hour and I cut a piece of sprue off to test it out. Might leave it in overnight. I don't want to ruin the pieces with solvents, so best to experiment on a throwaway piece.

Nice one CD...I have this one too....well...err.......parts of it!! ;D ;D ;D ;D Can't wait to see you have at it!!

Cave_Dweller said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
Awesome. Love it!

What's the plan? Old, rusty and well worn?

Hehe, it's definitely not going to look like it just rolled off the factory floor!

This will be another build I can learn some things from! :)

Try some Castrol super clean on the chrome. Takes it off in minutes. I have also used 91% alcohol for that as well. It takes longer but will still strip it.

I have heard that Coke works too.

Grendels said:
Try some Castrol super clean on the chrome. Takes it off in minutes. I have also used 91% alcohol for that as well. It takes longer but will still strip it.

I have heard that Coke works too.

Yeah I'm gonna get some of that. The purple power, simple green and household bleach all didn't work.

I have seen super clean strip the chrome off while you watch. That stuff works very fast.

On my last project I tried Easy Off oven cleaner in spray(the plastic bottle with a spay nose, not the cans), works very well, the chrome just goes off in front of you. It's quick, but dont let it on too long. And when you're done rinse the part well with soap and water. Let it dry and you will get a smooth dechrome surface.

Hulk said:
On my last project I tried Easy Off oven cleaner in spray(the plastic bottle with a spay nose, not the cans), works very well, the chrome just goes off in front of you. It's quick, but dont let it on too long. And when you're done rinse the part well with soap and water. Let it dry and you will get a smooth dechrome surface.

Oven cleaner does work real well. I have some concentrated stuff from work...little in a platic container and maybe 5 minutes...gone!

Allright well I went to O'Rielly tonight and got "SuperClean." Didn't specifically say "Castrol SuperClean" on the label, so hope this stuff works.

Well finally made some progress on the chrome stripping. For whatever reason, I had to soak the sprues for over 24hrs to dissolve the stuff, and there was still a transparent filmy remnant. But I cleaned em up and did some priming today!

Really windy and cold, which makes using rattle cans outside a joy. Doing the rusty primer for the body and undercarriage, and glossy black as a base for my new alclad paints.

I was so excited to use the alclad I went and airbrushed the chromed bits tonight. Very interesting paint! The finish is nice, and I can almost see my reflection in a few parts, and it's incredibly thin, not like that goopy factory chrome. This stuff also dries very fast!

Next is some salt and hairspray seasoning. Though after my experiences with the groberhund, I think I need to be a bit more strategic with the application of the salt, instead of just sprinkling it randomly all over.

Latest posts

Back