1/2256 Mon Calamari MC-80

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
So I benched this one a while back to get a bunch of other stuff done...but I botched the initial wiring so I went back to it this weekend. Basically all the parts are together with the exception of the two hull pieces. I think this will be a "medical cruiser" version with larger red bands. We'll see.

Here are the 3D parts I had grown to enhance the build.
http://nicholassagan.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/cosmos-models-product-release-mc-80-enhancement-packages/
(plug: if you want a set I have them in my Shapeways shop which is linked iAlso n the blog post)

Also, HERE are the rest of the many blog posts about this build. HERE is the biggest post. BUT for "catch-up" sake, here are some select photos of the build :)

More to come in the next few weeks as this is the one of two projects on my bench finally.

mc80h_img_3166.jpg

mc80h_img_3170.jpg

mc80h_img_3183.jpg

mc80h_img_3186.jpg

drilling holes
mc80d_img_2434.jpg

mc80d_img_2431.jpg

mc80d_img_2430.jpg

engine area detailing
mc80g_img_2637.jpg

Bridge upgrade
mc80g_img_2646.jpg

blister upgrades
mc80g_img_2634.jpg

Hangar
mc80b_img_2223.jpg

Here's a German modeler who used my engine upgrades, too.
http://nicholassagan.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/its-alive/
http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=3449.0

Booooooook Marrrked!!!!!!!
I have this in my stash and followed this at SSM, can't wait to see it finished. How you going to do the paint job? Have you seen Hackore's lovely MC 80?

There's alot of fibre in that post!! :eek:

Awesome stuff as I've come to expect Nick, but 3D modelling? I didn't see that coming. Very impressive, just blows me away the quality of this. :)

I grabbed this kit too a while back when I snagged the Star Destroyer. Awesome stuff Nick and like Igard said that's a lot of fiber.

Thanks guys!!! Yeah, the thread dropped off over @ SSM...it's been a WHILE since I've worked on her. With the fibers I made the mistake of cutting them all to the same length before threading them. Oops. The ends are a bit stiff, too, which will make it tough to clamp down. It will happen though. :)

As for painting, yes, I am totally aware of Hacker's paint work. I like his but the paneling is a little too bold. I think I'll take a more subtle approach using a mix of gloss, masking, flat and scribed pencil lines. One of the first things I did with this kit was fill in all the heavy molded panel lines to make a smooth body.
mc80pre_img_1884.jpg

I also added a bunch of 1/32 fuel pods and bomb halves for extra large blisters.
mc80a_img_20921.jpg

Very nice mate, Annigrand do like to go a little deep with there panel lines don't they.

This weekend I closed a big gap by redoing all the resistors and buttoning up the hulls. There are a TON of seams to fix with Aves, including the cracks along the wing seams where there were too many wires packed in…coming along nicely though!

mc80i_img_7570.jpg

mc80i_img_7622.jpg

mc80i_img_7623.jpg

mc80i_img_7624.jpg

mc80i_img_7626.jpg

mc80i_img_7629.jpg

mc80i_img_7630.jpg

mc80i_img_7633.jpg

mc80i_img_7635.jpg

mc80i_img_7639.jpg

mc80i_img_7640.jpg

mc80i_img_7643.jpg

So last night I pushed some Aves onto the seams on half...too late tonight to get the other half done. But I DID dip my engine inserts in Tamiya clear amber...they look pret-ty sharp. I also tried brushing on a thinned-down mix of water and Elmer's glue to fill in some of the pocked and chipped surfaces. It gives it a really nice satin smooth finish that the primer looks great on. Still have to sand all that Aves, too...then methinks it'll be picture time again :)

Nick there's a magic wand on that bench somewhere. Build ups of this kit is like spotting a white buffalo.....just simply one in millions. Fantastic work man, truly.

Wow!!! :eek: :eek:
Have forgot to fix my jaw with some ca-glue before opening your thread once again, Nick - got to seek it among the other trophies of my carpet monster now;D

Thanks guys!!! I'm being really sparse with pics on this build right now...I mainly just want to get it done!! But at this point I have the base coat on and have masked off areas to begin the colored patches. :) Well, maybe I'll get something up later today.... :p

Latest posts

Back