1/16 Smart Cabrio

Papermodder

Modeller in both Plastic and Paper Card
Hello herd

Before I start the next major project, I thought I would do a fun quick build.
This is my sister's favorite car, though she cannot afford one, I thought I would build this for her. A Mercedes Benz Smart Cabrio.

Start2_zpsc646d379.jpg

The build was started yesterday, and started with the interior. the sides are up and have completed the dash and console.

Cockpit1_zps21fd98a4.jpg

First car in a long time, and a fun build so far. ;D

Jim

This build is actually going faster than I thought.
The fit for the parts is quite good and other than loosing a seat belt latch to the carpet monster, ???, quite smoothly.

This is where I am at this moment, with the interior and the chassis.

Cockpit2_zps787728c8.jpg

Never did find that thing. Had to make a new one. ::)

Jim

Hello everyone.
Time for an update.
Spent the biggest part of the day building wheels. Never a fun job. ::)
At least now have a rolling chassis.

Chassis1_zps0998713b.jpg

Tonight cut out and shaped the first part of the body.

Body1_zps9a1932e2.jpg

Will start it's assembly tomorrow. Those head lamps look like fun. ::) We'll see.

Have a good evening.

Jim

Oh yeah bud.................that rocks ;D............good luck with those headlamps Jim, rather you than me ;)

Thank you Boots.

Building the head lamp shell is no problem. It's the acetates that always give me a problem.
I'm going to try a new technique to see how that goes.

Jim

Nice work! it does indeed look like a fun build! ;D

What kind of glue do you use? Just plain old white paper glue?

Hi Leighbo, thank you.
One has to treat it as just another medium. Whether it be metal, styrene, resin or paper, each have their own techniques and shared ones to achieve a similar shape or result. As well each has their own strengths and weaknesses, that we learn to overcome.

Jim

Hi Drpepeprz, thank you.
I use Aleene's clear tacky glue, but white glue is fine. For years I used carpenters glue because of its tackiness. You just had to be careful with it as it would stain, it did not dry perfectly clear. I still use it for large areas.

Jim

Here's an update for tonight.
I worked on the headlights, assembled the paper part, then printed out the clear parts and cut them out. The clear parts were carefully glued to the head lamp assembly.

Body2_zps7f240fd0.jpg

Then with this part of the front body assembled, glued in the head lamp assemblies.

Body3_zpsd6c1b306.jpg

I always have problems with the clear parts. Eventually I will get better with it.
Next the lower front body panel was assembled and attached to the upper panel. then the side panels where cut out and attached.
The rear panel was a little more work, it had to be shaped as well as a major edge folded and glued.
The last thing for tonight was the installation of the two back side windows, again clear parts. ::)
They actually did not go too bad.

Body4_zps3e5688c6.jpg

Body5_zpsf33f801b.jpg

Body6_zpsa43c10e0.jpg

That's it for tonight, we'll see how tomorrow goes.
Thanks for viewing, and questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Nice work on this one Jim!!! This IS 1:1 right? ::) LOL!!! Keep it coming!!!

Latest posts

Back