1/144 Trumpeter USS Gato

Jeeves

Trying my hand at submarines to broaden my horizons ;) Just started weathering with some Mig rust pigment, but I am not happy with how things turned out...gonna have to wash it up a bit and retry...
08-17-11_001.jpg
08-17-11_003.jpg
08-17-11_005.jpg

Well-- my work must be so awe-inspiring that you are without words ;)

Since this is murky waters for me (no pun intended...)- I'd love to hear input on my weathering...need more be done...ooo-- maybe I ought to do the same on the sail??
08-20-11_002.jpg
08-20-11_003.jpg
08-20-11_004.jpg

Well, I don't know anything about how subs weather but I will say for me personally the more weathered they are the better they look. Yours is too clean in my opinion but what do I know. Looks like a great kit though. How did it go together?

I'm going to have to try my hand at a ship sometime. The entries in Omaha were very inspiring to me.

Sorry I didn't respond at first. ::)

I agree with ShutterAce; Your build looks good - the two tone paint is sharp, just needs a little more weathering. Maybe some washes and dry brushing around the tower and gun (just to break up the colour and give some depth to the surfaces). Both would be high traffic areas and would see some wear. Or maybe, how about some railings?

Take a look at some of the other sub builds in "watercraft" and online, then try to apply what you see to your build. If you still don't like it strip the paint and try again, no problem, you build a vocabulary of skills that you can use to give you effects that you like. I learn a lot by looking at others work and trying to replicate what I think looks good.

Here's a like to ChiefPettyOfficers U-boat build, He did a similar colour scheme. If you have a chance and are so inclined - take a look.
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,1644.0.html

JMac

Mike,

Sorry I missed this one buddy! Tremendous effort so far! She does look great!

I would too agree on the weathering a bit. I can though out a couple of suggestions but please don't take these as a "this is how it should go" SBS bit. ;)

I would give the whole boat a dull clear coat. Then apply a dark wash to the entire ship with burnt umber oils. This will bring out all the fine details.

Add some tiny chipping in key areas , especially where you have your rusting now. Anchor and anchor well, drainage ports, attachment point of the ladder rungs, hatchway handles and hinges, etc..... Use the tiniest brush you got or break a toothpick from one end pulling it back, creating a really tiny sliver point. Dip it in any dark rusty brown color.(like the burnt umber with a touch of Burnt Sienna). Just dab it into corners and ridges around these areas. Probably only leave a dot, pin tip size of paint when you apply it. This might take you a while, but will be worth it in the end. Where you might want to add some streaking of rust, follow up with a pin size dot of Burnt sienna. Let these dry for an hour or so (oils take forever to dry, so you have plenty of time). When you come back take a smooth flat brush, dip it in thinner, dab it into a paper towel a few time to remove all the thinner you basically just put on (solvents are still in the bristles) and in straight downward stroke pull the brush from you paint dots downward in the direction you think the rust will flow. You will have streaking. If too dark, dab out the brush and pull down some more...if you don't like, very lightly wet the brush with some thinner (not too much) and apply, take a cotton swab (bud) and remove it.

Typically subs rust above the scum line (there area where the vessel meets the water when it is just sitting there )

Seen here....

uss-ling-ss297.jpg
Picture for discussion purposes only

You can see the USS Ling has a small whitish line where the water meets the hull and pressure hull. SCUM. Salt deposits and algae. Depending on the service area of the sub, these can be almost non- existent and to brighter whites and greens. This can be simulated with oils too, just make the line following the "water line" of the boat using off whites. Don't worry about multiple lines, the vessel would certainly sit at different heights depending which point in it's tour it would be on.....less fuel, no torpedoes and such. A wash of lighter gray(s) below the water line would work nicely too. Salt water does a number on ships the second they hit the water. Not much rust would be on the hull, rust typically forms when the steel comes in contact with the open air.

My apologies for going on and on a bit. Hopefully a helpful opinion on adding some weathering.

I'll leave you with a great link to a USS Pampanito walk-around. You can zoom and rotate 360 degrees over the entire ship, inside and out. http://www.maritime.org/tour/adeck.php?pano=nr

If your still on the weathering, try a couple spots and post-em! Would love to see you progress through it!

Good luck!! ;D

I do sincerely appreciate the comments everyone. I am anxious to get more work done on her...so far I've done some dot filtering and a bit of Mig pigments, but I'll apply another dull coat and get to it! Thanks everyone!

Awesome looking!!! ;D the sea is a harsh environment, i am not sure if the weathering can be over done. Ships and subs had to be constantly scrubbed and repainted.

Thanks guys! I gotta figure a way to tone down the Mig rust...it's been applied with fixative so it's pretty stuck on there. I'm going to try to add some variation here and there to tone it down...

Nice!
If you feel its overdone, why dont just brush a lil color over it.
You may end up on interesting effects with some certain depth.
If you ´re looking for something more controllable, maybe rust streaks with
burnt sienna oil colors and some white spirit are cool.
If you ad some black/dark grey streaks the same way you will have some
nice rain marks too.

"We dont make mistakes, we just make funny accidents."
Bob Ross

:)

Good points Uschi...thanks! I am recovering from having my appendix out over the weekend so hopefully I can get back into work on modeling when I can get upright comfortably again ;)

Latest posts

Back