1/144 Sukhois in progress: Su-30MKKs and PAK FA T-50

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
While I’ve been drilling windows for a commission and waiting to get back into the paint booth, I was buggered into digging into a couple more quick kits: Trumpeter’s new 1/144 Su-30MKK and Pit Road’s 1/144 PAK FA T-50.

144mkk_imag5428.jpg

The Su-30MKKs are going to be split up, 2 will be each of the Chinese scheme variants while one will be a “what if” Ukranian bird. One of the Chinese birds will be in flight and the other landed along with the Ukrainian scheme. There will also be small bases with tarmacs to round out a little display.

144mkk_img_8894.jpg

The T-50 will be done in the newer ‘Bort 55′ scheme, which suffered a catastrophic fire on the tarmac a year or so ago. It’s an easier scheme to paint free hand and I’m excited to give it a shot. It will also be in the flight position. She built up so quickly she’s already in primer!

144t50_img_8918.jpg

144t50_img_8919.jpg

All the kits go together really well. The T-50 is practically a snap fit. Trumpeter has maintained it’s ease of build with these new 144 offerings as well. However, there are a couple of outstanding issues that were fixed: a new pitot for all four jets; the Flankers’ pitots were made with a syringe tube and sewing needle (seam filled with super glue and sanded) and the T-50’s was made with a drill bit.

144mkk_img_8910.jpg

144mkk_img_8909.jpg

144mkk_img_8913.jpg

The radomes for each of the Flankers also needed some adjusting. Since they are meant to fit the previous toolings, some trimming on the inner lip is needed. The join with the main fuselage leaves a bit to be desired so some putty and sanding was required there as well. Also, I had to add the little fins that go on the lower outside of the intakes. Easy enough with a little plastic stock. The in-flight bird also needed some putty for the closed gear doors.

144mkk_img_8901.jpg

144mkk_img_8903.jpg

144mkk_img_8902.jpg

I gotta say, Trumpeter stepped it up a notch with the decals for these Flankers. Not only is there now a WHOLE sheet of stencils, they included COCKPIT decals. I know, only some of it is visible in this scale, but it makes a big difference. T-50 has no such luxury.

144mkk_imag5429.jpg

144mkk_img_8905.jpg

144mkk_img_8907.jpg

The trade off is that the T-50 includes 2 pilot figures. Alas, that’s not enough to fill the offices of the Flankers so I picked up some of OzMods modern pilots. Very basic but with a little paint they add some life.

144mkk_img_8900.jpg

144mkk_img_8912.jpg

144mkk_img_8915.jpg

THE biggest pain with Flanker kits is fixing the canopies. These are no exception. There’s a nasty seam that runs down the middle that will need a lot of TLC…but there is also a factory tooling issue where the windscreen isn’t polished all the way to the front edge of the frame. Not sure what to do there…I’ve tried to contact Trumpeter through several channels, including the US distributor and nothing yet.

144mkk_imag5432.jpg

144mkk_img_8916.jpg

144mkk_img_8921.jpg

Either way, these are fun kits and pretty quick to bang out. Since they’re so easy it’s a little therapy session every time I sit down with them. Stay tuned.

144mkk_img_8922.jpg

Definitely look like fun here.
Reminds me that I have some of these little birds to build as well

These Trumpeter Flankers are great...I can't get enough of them!! I still have 3x Su-27s and 4x Su-27UBs in the stash...

How many Flankers is this for you now? ;D

Anyways these look like pretty cool like kits, and I like that Trumpeter has been bringing out decent Soviet aircraft. Update soon I hope...

Well, lets see...2 1/144s done...1 1/350 in the case...3 1/72s...so these would make 9. :)

I'm hoping to get to the paint booth this weekend....we'll see....at least the T-50 is ready. The MKKs still need some canopy polishing and this is a spot that I tend to get stuck in....

OH I did make the tarmac bases though. I'll post some pics of those sooner than updates on the actual kit :p

Cool project here. Nice to have something that is low stress and rather fast.

The most stressful thing is the dang canopy sanding/polishing. I really wish someone would figure out how to mold Flanker canopies without the seam down the middle...

Ok here we go!

Bases constructed for the landed Flankers! I printed the tarmacs on cardstock but in order to get them to NOT wrinkle I had to add some pressure. Like a 40lb box of books kind of pressure. A little trimming and some paint and they’re ready! Actually, I brushed white glue over the top of them and then when it was dry scored along the tile seams so when the light hits it right, you can see an indentation. I might still flat coat them though. As for the Flankers themselves they still need canopy sanding and polishing. :( I also finally started working on the display support for the in flight bird. The rod needs some reshaping but the effect is there.

144mkk_img_8960.jpg

144mkk_img_8962.jpg

144mkk_img_8963.jpg

144mkk_img_9055.jpg

144mkk_img_9007.jpg

144mkk_img_9010.jpg

Luckily, it was also warm enough this past weekend to get into the spray booth! The T-50 has been ready for paint for a while now. I used my new AKAN paints and I love em! They’re SOOO smooth!! I only used a drop or two of thinner just to make sure the preshading effect didn’t get lost. The bottom side blue is a typical Flanker color but the rhomboid top shape was a mix of black and a darker blue. After the initial shape was added I dropped some of the lighter blue in and post-shaded. Later on I hand brushed the white markings and metal for the engines. The darker tone is Tamiya gunmetal and the aluminum parts are from a Krylon silver leafing pen. Right now it’s clear coated and waiting for decals!

144t50_img_9045.jpg

144t50_img_9046.jpg

144t50_img_9047.jpg

144t50_img_9048.jpg

144t50_img_9049.jpg

144t50_img_9050.jpg

Thanks! I got the T-50 decals on last night and a clear coat this morning. Tonight I'll add a wash and tomorrow the light weathering.

OH boy I cleaned the wash up and flat coated tonight. I'll get a touch of weathering done in the morning and hopefully final pics by the evening (or Thu AM)

Nice set of updates Nicholas. Looking forward to the final reveal pictures.

I love watching your 1/144 builds. ;D There's just so much there, for a little model.
Can you give a few words about the clear rods and how you get them into "stand" condition? TIA.

Latest posts

Back