1/144 Omega 7 "Quinjet"-mk2

Quaralane

Okay, as something of a followup to the Columbia build, I decided to stick with the Omega 7 theme.

Starting with the 1/144 B-2 Stealth Bomber kit from Revell, I decided to build up one of the Quinjets that I used for the Columbia build
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-00.jpg

Basic look at the box contents, as well as what inspired this look for the Omega 7 Quinjets.
I'm taking the main body, minus the extra-long wings, then adding rudders and VLS vents to create what I'm looking for
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-01.jpg

Built up the rudder blanks by stacking 3 sheets of roughly 1mm plastic together and cutting them to shape
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-02.jpg

Once the glue had dried, I beveled the edges with my dremel.
Later on, I added the actual rudder panels to these with a scribing tool
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-05.jpg

Cockpit was given a coat of Vallejo grey primer, followed by a black wash.
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-03.jpg

Cockpit glass was glues into place
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-04.jpg

Cockpit was then assembled and glued into position, along with the nose gear
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-06.jpg

Engines were glued into place on the upper hull
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-07.jpg

The bottom hull got the majority of the modification work as I cut openings for the VLS vents, then filled the openings with plastic screening.
Main gear doors were glued into position, as well as the doors closing the missile bay
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-08.jpg

The two halves were glued together, followed by my finishing assembly of the landing gear
Holes at the ends of the winglets were filled with sheet styrene
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-09.jpg

With the rudder flaps scribed into place, the rudders themselves were then glued to the upper body
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-10.jpg

Bottom of the craft was primered in Vallejo's grey primer
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-11.jpg

The top of the craft was given a basecoat of Vallejo dark grey primer followed by a color coat of Vallejo gunmetal grey in lieu of Testors Graphited Dust
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-12.jpg

Custom markings were printed for the craft.
Yes, I deliberately printed them backwards, given the tendency for my custom clear decals to curl once placed on the model
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-13.jpg

Wheels were painted in with the same dark grey that I used as the undercaot on the top of the hull.
The areas behind the engines were painted in with the same colors
The kit was given a coat of gloss, followed by decalling with a combination of the kit decals and my own markings.
Oddly, it was the kit markings that gave me the most troubl this time around
Finished build pics:
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-14.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-15.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-16.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-17.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-18.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-19.jpg

Showing the Quinjet with Changewind One:
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-20.jpg
Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-21.jpg

Omega-7-Quinjet-Mk2-22.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cskC59jlA

That came out nice for something so simple. Can't help but notice lot's of interesting stuff on your walls behind you. Lot's of video pausing to get a better look. ;) Pretty creative there my friend.

What technique did you use to make your custom decals? Making my own decals is something I've long been interested in but never followed through on.

Thanks, Kev
And, yes, Hagoth, lots of interesting stuff on the walls here

My custom decals are run through my inkjet printer onto clear decal film that I pick up on-line
Once printed, I coat them with MicroScale Liquid Decal Film

Thanks for the insights. So no special ink? This could be easier than I thought.

Just the standard Epson ink used in my CX5000, Hagoth.
Set your settings to "photo quality" when you print

Latest posts

Back