1/12 Tamiya Wolf WR1

billkunert

This car has been discontinued for some time and reasonably priced kits are becoming hard to find. I found the latest version on ebay for $90US with free shipping from a seller in Quebec so I jumped on it. The big brown truck brought it today. The injection molding looks very clean. I think the WR1 is one of the nicer looking F1 cars ever built and I hope I can do it justice. There are a couple of large decals which have caused problems. I read somewhere about using a large bowl of water to transfer decals underwater to eliminate the folding problems with large decals. Anybody ever tried that? I'd hate to mess them up because a replacement set costs around $35.

As long as the decal doesn't come off the paper in the water, it shouldn't be a problem.

Lay some Micro Set on the model where the decal is going and slide the decal off of the paper right onto where the micro set is, and it should stay put without rolling up.

The paper with the decal might roll up, but as long as the decal doesn't separate from the paper, it is no problem.

The problem is with the 2 decals on the side pods which have a long thin piece about 90mm long. When removed from the backing paper it has a tendency to fold over at the thin end and trying to release it will usually tear the decal. The suggestion I had read was using a large bowl and removing the decal from the paper and having the part to be decaled under water and transferring the decal to the part under water. Good idea or bad idea?

billkunert said:
The problem is with the 2 decals on the side pods which have a long thin piece about 90mm long. When removed from the backing paper it has a tendency to fold over at the thin end and trying to release it will usually tear the decal. The suggestion I had read was using a large bowl and removing the decal from the paper and having the part to be decaled under water and transferring the decal to the part under water. Good idea or bad idea?

Something like that, I would just put in the water for 10-15 sec, take it out, lay it on a piece of paper towel for 30-60secs to let the water release the decal. Before you ever put it on the kit, try to gently get it to slide on the paper backing. Once the whole decal is loose, slide the decal so about 1/4" or so is off one end of the paper, and place it where it is supposed to go in the model, then just slide the backing paper off lengthwise of the decal and it should pretty much fall into place. You may have to play with it a bit to get it lined up where it should be, just make sure you have some Micro Set on hand to aide in moving the decal around once it is on the kit if you need to.

You could make a rig out of match sticks lay the decal on the top of that face down so that way the match sticks would stop it rolling up.

Then you have someone that can help one of you hold the rig and the other place's the decal on the car.

I had to do the same thing on one my kits worked out awesome.

Only other way around it is to scan the decal into your pc/laptop and open it in some photo edit software (i use photoshop but you could also use gimp really awesome and its free) then once in the photo edit you can remake the decal and print it on the decal paper or split the decal and then print and do in 2 hafs so its more easy to lay down.

Hope this helps bud.

Thanks for all the replies. I soaked it for about 20 seconds the put it on a paper towel. I slid it off about a quarter inch then carefully worked my way forward. It laid perfectly on both sides of the car. All in all I'm pleased with the outcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I decided to try a Tamiya 1/12 scale motor cycle and thought the Suzuki RG250 gamma Walter Wolf would look nice next to the Wolf formula 1.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back