1/1000 Olympic Carrier(s)

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
timeslip's 1/1000 olympic carrier from battlestar galactica. these are being built as a set on the same stand. not quite a dio but not a single ship...so i'm not sure what category...hopefully sci-fi will be ok so i've ponied up the entry fee for two kits, just to be sure. either way, they're together for now...and yes, i can always take pictures of them on their own...

oc_img_2019.jpg

oc_img_2034.jpg

filed window openings so i can fill them in with clear resin-ish material...
oc_img_2133.jpg

oc_img_2135.jpg

engines drilled out
oc_img_2134.jpg

oc_img_2136.jpg

windows drilled
oc_img_2222.jpg

oc_img_2223.jpg

lightblocked
oc_img_2244.jpg

some seam cleaning to fit better (and a little cleanup to come later)
oc_img_2245.jpg

oc_img_2246.jpg

oc_img_2247.jpg

silvered cockpit area
oc_img_2265.jpg

oc_img_2266.jpg

power jack
oc_img_2263.jpg

oc_img_2264.jpg

main engine lit up
oc_img_2267.jpg

110 strands of fiber optics
oc_img_2268.jpg

oc_img_2270.jpg

oc_img_2269.jpg

oc_img_2271.jpg

model base guy stand
oc_img_2158.jpg

oc_img_2159.jpg

oc_img_2249.jpg

This is looking nice!
I am a great fan of SF, but I have never built anything in that direction, so please excuse my ignorance: What do you guys use for light blocking?
Cheers,
Guido

thanks guys!

1) lightblocking is just painting the inside of the kit. i just used some extra dark spray paint.
2) the LEDs are connected to the fibers through 5mm plastic tubes. i stuck the fibers through then dabbed some HOT GLUE into the tube then the led pushed through to compress the glue around the fibers, effectively joining them. i'll also be painting the tubes silver. you can see they are clear so when the silvering happens it will contain the light a little more and pump more brightness into the fibers.

Another good kit to watch. But it looks like they have a bit of nasty seams to deal with.

np kyp. :D

and yes, the seam line is pretty nasty. i had to shave some portions to get it flush enough to join. but at least on the top side there isn't a lot of detail to contend with in terms of sanding putty, etc. the bottom will be a challenge....

Should be a good looking build when done.
Needs a 1/1000 Battlestar for protection, now. :p

bit of an update on #1. i filled the front windows with clear epoxy, sqeezed in all the LEDs and fibers, added the power jack and sealed her up! the seams are NASTY so i had to add some strip styrene and a bunch of putty. sanding it smooth will be OK but i'll have to add some details back into the bottom greeblies....

oc_img_2314.jpg

oc_img_2315.jpg

oc_img_2311.jpg

oc_img_2313.jpg

oc_img_2316.jpg

oc_img_2318.jpg

oc_img_2320.jpg

oc_img_2322.jpg

oc_img_2323.jpg

oc_img_2324.jpg

oc_img_2325.jpg

oc_img_2329.jpg

oc_img_2330.jpg

Putty!!! I can't believe you jammed all that fiber and LED's in to that tiny thing. I tip my hat off to you son. Nice job.

thanks guys! yeah it was rough getting everything to line up. the next one will be slightly easier...

WOW! Way behind on these fellas. But it's amazing how satisfying an hour of work can be. I added a handful of greeblies to the belly to make up for what was lost during joining/filling, masked off the lit areas, added the engines and the fins.
oc_img_2507.jpg

oc_img_2508.jpg

oc_img_2510.jpg

nose antenna
oc_img_2518.jpg

oc_img_2519.jpg

To get into a little more detail: the fins were super easy because there are grooves on them for the supports. The upper ones sit nicely on the hull but needed a little angle shaved to match. The bottom ones also needed a touch of sanding to get them parallel.
oc_img_2513.jpg

oc_img_2514.jpg

oc_img_2515.jpg

oc_img_2516.jpg

oc_img_2517.jpg

oc_img_2520.jpg

Also, the support fins on the engines snapped off (they are SUPER thin!) so I had to rebuild one of them. Not too worried about it because the fins cover it up well enough...
oc_img_2511.jpg

oc_img_2512.jpg

oc_img_2506.jpg

And then primer :)
oc_img_2521.jpg

oc_img_2523.jpg

oc_img_2524.jpg

The top seam still isn't perfectly smooth so I'll have to resand then reprime. :(

Latest posts

Back