1/1 scale Tusken Raider Gaffi Stick

stretch

I needed a gaffi stick to go with my Tusken Raider..
I started with a 'Rubies' brand gaffi stick prop. Strangely, they are the only prop maker officially licensed by Lucasfilm...
They also make the worst quality products.. :p

This is what you are supposed to be paying for..
Rubiesgaffiad_zps6521d720.jpg

This is what you get..
Rubiesgaffireal_zpsce673eb9.jpg

So I cut both ends off, and riveted them to a piece of PVC tube. Nothing would stick to the 'Rubies' plastic. I tried everything...
IMG_0298_zpsb227e233.jpg

I fiaired the ends with car body filler. ( Its car bog, but body filler sounds better :D ) then filled the ends with expanding foam via a couple of drill holes..
IMG_0297_zps03e8f0fa.jpg

I sandwiched the teeny tiny fins with sheet styrene to make them the correct size, then filled it with a mix of fiberglass resin and micro balloons. I added a bead of liquid nails to immitate a weld line, then sanded the hell out of it to get rid of the dodgy surface..
IMG_0302_zps509cb07a.jpg

A nice coat or two of brown, a wash of Citadel black, followed by a clear coat then some thick twine for a finishing touch and I'm all done..
Oh, I was making two at the same time by the way..
IMG_0316_zps346bf658.jpg

Great looking conversion. You need at least two sticks, two riders in single file, to hide your numbers.

I also noticed how their props are not the greatest looking yours is really cool looking though love the way it turned out.

The Tuskan costume is fantastic looking great job with it I only hope my fleet trooper costume looks that good.

Nice job on that!

for the rubbies plastic, it is perhaps possible to glue something on it by removing a few material from the surface ;)

unfortunately its the same material all the way through.
pop rivets came in super handy in this instance.

I'm hoping to recommence my Stormtrooper build very soon. my building urge has to return though. I spent a while running tusken raider workshops for my fellow 501 st members and I'm a bit over it all at the moment

Latest posts

Back