Author Topic: Painting section...HOW TO?!?!  (Read 14951 times)

Offline ExodusInside

• Recreational User
    • Awards
Re: Painting section...HOW TO?!?!
« Reply #45 on: Sun Mar, 17, 2013, 03:12:PM »
I probably should have went  a little more in depth with it.

I airbrushed a few pieces after thinning the paint ( just regular Vallejo model paint, not the airbrush kind ) and it came out kinda clumped. I used a two part paint one part thinner ratio, and I didn't buy Vallejo thinner... just using the thinner I already had which is still acrylic thinner but I guess each company designs their own thinner for their own line so maybe that had something to do with it?? But for sure I'll have to strip and try again. Thanks tho guys, and Elm City, that was quite informative, I'll have to see if I can find a store around here that has the Vallejo airbrushing paints...

Thanks for all the input guys. :D

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Thu Mar, 21, 2013, 12:30:AM »
I probably should have went  a little more in depth with it.

I airbrushed a few pieces after thinning the paint ( just regular Vallejo model paint, not the airbrush kind ) and it came out kinda clumped. I used a two part paint one part thinner ratio, and I didn't buy Vallejo thinner... just using the thinner I already had which is still acrylic thinner but I guess each company designs their own thinner for their own line so maybe that had something to do with it?? But for sure I'll have to strip and try again. Thanks tho guys, and Elm City, that was quite informative, I'll have to see if I can find a store around here that has the Vallejo airbrushing paints...

Thanks for all the input guys. :D

Yes, depends on the thinner. Not all acrylics are the same, you have stuff like Tamiya, and Gunze that are alcohol based, and others like Life Color (not sure what their base is, but is isn't alcohol I don't think), and Vallejo which is actually an acrylic, vinyl, resin mix. And if you try and use an alcohol based thinner to thin it out....it is going to clump and gum up. Real PITA if it does it in your airbrush because it is a pain to clean.

Nothing wrong with thinning Vallejo Model color to airbrush, just have to have the right thinner to do so. Lots on my website! LOL

Offline scaledale

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: Wed Mar, 27, 2013, 02:13:AM »
I have a number of different types of thinners for enamels, acrylics and lacquers and if I'm not sure what base a paint is I test it before doing anything with it. I put a drop of the paint in question in each of the thinners to see how it reacts. If it gums up in the enamel thinner then it's usually lacquer. No matter what, it gives me a good idea what is going to happen before I start to mix for the airbrush. A little paint in a lot of thinner has a stronger reaction than a little thinner in a lot of paint.

Dale

Offline netrangerx

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: Sun Jul, 07, 2013, 11:48:PM »
I built models for many years but have been out of it for a while. I have only ever used brushes and Testors enamel paints. I am working on a 1/72 Space Shuttle model that I have had in the box for years as my "comeback" project and want to paint it right. I am considering airbrushing and am looking for advice on what equipment is best for an AB newbie. Also, if I already have a compressor (the kind you use for nail guns) can it be used instead of buying a "hobby" compressor? Thanks.

Paul

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: Mon Jul, 08, 2013, 02:11:AM »
Hey there Paul,

Yes, you can use a nail gun compressor for airbrushing, as long as you can crank the airpressure down to 15-20lbs, you should be alright.

You might need a couple of fittings to convert it to your airbrush hose, but otherwise it is good to go. Used one for years until I got tired of it scaring the crap out of me (and usually ruining a paint job or at the very least spilling paint) when it kicked on. They are loud!

Offline Drpepeprz

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: Tue Oct, 01, 2013, 07:38:AM »
Could someone make a thinning guide and pin it to this section? Or is it different for everyone?

On the go: LAV-R and M113

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: Tue Oct, 01, 2013, 12:40:PM »
Generally different for each line of paint.

Lots of factors go into it. How much air pressure you are running, size of the needle in your airbrush, the type of effect you are looking for.

For me and the paints I use, or have used.

Tamiya: 50/50 paint to thinner (using Tamiya's own thinner)

Vallejo: Model Color: 3 parts Vallejo AB Thinner to 1 part Vallejo Model Color paint.
             Model Air: Should be good to go out of the bottle, but Vallejo recommends a couple of drops in your paint cup.

Testors Enamel: 50/50 with enamel thinner

Lifecolor: I have used, but only once, and don't really remember the thinning ration, seem to remember that 50/50 was too much using their thinner.

Humbrol Enamel: 50/50 with enamel thinner

Gunze Acrylics: 50/50 with acrylic thinner

That covers the basics, and for the lines I have used for general use at about average pressure (15-20psi). Finer spray control you need to drop your air pressure more and thin your paint out a bit more.

And of course, practice on an old model or piece of scrap to try out your own recipes.

Offline Drpepeprz

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: Wed Oct, 02, 2013, 10:44:AM »
Anyone uses acrylic on cars? or are laquers really the best?

On the go: LAV-R and M113

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: Wed Oct, 02, 2013, 02:31:PM »
Anyone uses acrylic on cars? or are laquers really the best?

I have done 2 cars with Vallejo.

http://public.fotki.com/ScottM/models/tamiya-mazda-rx-7-r1/

http://public.fotki.com/ScottM/models/model-king-darrell/

Works like a charm, but of course the Vallejo paints being mostly a Satin or Matt finish you do have to put a gloss varnish over the paint if you want some shine to it. Both of those above are glossed with just Future, however my next one I will be using Vallejo's Urethane Gloss to give it a try, which will be the funny car I have in the Shelf Queen group build.

Like any other paint going on, build up in layers.