Author Topic: Grendels lighting Tutorials  (Read 21706 times)

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
Re: Grendels lighting Tutorials
« Reply #30 on: Thu Feb, 02, 2012, 04:45:PM »
For anyone with questions, feel free to post them and I will try to answer all of them.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Sat Mar, 24, 2012, 05:08:AM »

Offline ShutterAce

• Overdose
    • Jim's Trumpet
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Sat Mar, 24, 2012, 11:52:AM »
Hey john,

Thanks for doing these. I watch them all. Very informative. maybe i'll use the info one of these days. 8)

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Sat Mar, 24, 2012, 02:56:PM »
Your welcome and I look forward to seeing it.

Offline modelbuilder22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Wed Mar, 28, 2012, 06:18:AM »
My question is what do I need to get, I got the lights just need to get eveything else. I know u made a video about this lol I watched it
on the bench
RMS Titanic

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Wed Mar, 28, 2012, 02:29:PM »
First thing you need to do is decide upon a voltage.   If you ordered white or warm white LED's then they want a 3.2 volt power supply.   

If that is the case, you can use two AA batteries to power them and you will not need resistors at all.   Just wire everything up in parallel.  In other words, the positive ends of every LED should be wired together, and the negative ends of every LED should be wired together.   

Add a switch, and put the positive ends of the LED's to the positive end of the battery case, the negative ends of the LED's to the negative end of the battery case.   

Any other questions, just post.

Offline modelbuilder22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Wed Mar, 28, 2012, 05:47:PM »
iam gona use them for head lights on my truck so iam only gona use two. iam also gota try how to mount the battery pack to it. i will post pics of the truck body if you want me its a monster truck i figured it would be cool to add head lights to it.
on the bench
RMS Titanic

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Thu Mar, 29, 2012, 12:33:AM »
If you want to use a small battery, some of the button cells would work fine.  I think a CR2032 would work, and it won't take up much space.  It is a 3.2 V battery so you won't need resistors if the LED's are white.

It just won't power the LED's for a long time.   So don't leave the switch on.

Offline modelbuilder22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Fri Mar, 30, 2012, 02:35:AM »
i will try it and im using white led's, thanks for the help john really appericate it. it will take two to three weeks for to get the lights i odred two hiundred of em for like 5 bucks on ebay, took your advice on that one.
on the bench
RMS Titanic

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: Fri Mar, 30, 2012, 04:29:AM »
Just let me know if you need any more help!

Offline modelbuilder22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: Tue Apr, 03, 2012, 07:03:PM »
hey john what seller do you get your lights off ebay from? my lights should be here between the 13th and 20th. i cant believe i can get them that cheap on their compaired to 60 cents a light at most places i looked at. still geting my supplies together i have thought about modelmantoms kit since it comes with everything i need to look around for wire and battery pack. just leting ya know how my search is coming along. keep up the the good work or the videos :o outstanding
on the bench
RMS Titanic

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: Wed Apr, 04, 2012, 01:09:AM »
Here are a couple that I have used:

bestshop2008hk

led.shop*2010

mobilev

And then there is modelersbrand from model man tom.

Offline TiM

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: Fri Apr, 06, 2012, 08:04:AM »
I thought I'd have a go at some lights - it all seems pretty straight forward so long I apply some common sense and take my time....

then I started shopping around for components and it becomes baffling. All the different types of chips, capacitors resistors ( I found an electronics supplier that does free postage and no minimum order so good for odd bits to play with) and a search for 555 timer throws up dozens.

So then I go looking up what all the codes and letters mean to try to make some sense and I have had some success. Finally.

Having watched the videos earlier more than once, noted that a 555Timer isn't really suitable for battery power I found a "low power" variant which states in the technical spec - very low power consumption, so could this run off batteries?

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: Fri Apr, 06, 2012, 02:00:PM »
Did the chip list what it's power consumption is?  If so can you post it?  If not, do you have a link to it's spec sheet?  I can read it off of the spec sheet. 

The big problem with batteries is that these chips need at least 5V to run.  This means you are restricted to 9V batteries, and they don't supply enough juice. 

Once I get your info, I will post the math here, or make a video about it and post it.

Offline TiM

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: Fri Apr, 06, 2012, 04:21:PM »
It's on this sheet...

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1388168.pdf

The TLC555CP or TLC555IP, the only difference I can determine is the operation temp window.  ???

I was considering using a couple of 1/3N lithium cells in a home made holder. The reason behind this is I want it to be portable and space is really limited inside the model I'm considering using it on as I want the inside details showing as well through the open hatches.

I just had another thought that if I can get a variety of different flash rates off a 4060 then I might be able to use that.

I'm just compiling a shopping list to get some stuff and have a go  8)