Author Topic: Your best quick tip/technique/diy  (Read 32208 times)

Offline FlipFlop

• Habitual User
  • I like my planes like my women - dirty!
    • Awards
Re: Your best quick tip/technique/diy
« Reply #30 on: Sat Apr, 21, 2012, 12:20:PM »
I've got another one - if you are using glue with needle like Revell Contacta Professional or similar and if the needle gets clogged just take a lighter and heat the needle for a few (6-7 max) seconds...
MiG-15 UTI (1/48):

Offline spud

• Overdose
  • Irish and proud of it :)
    • irishscalemodeller
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Sun Apr, 22, 2012, 07:26:PM »
ok now thats bloomin handy, I have a humbroll one of them thats cloged and i like to use i somthimes to give me a little bit of working time.

will try that , TY FF

Offline Chris S

• Staff Writer
  • Overdose
  • Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Sun Apr, 22, 2012, 09:27:PM »
I've got another one - if you are using glue with needle like Revell Contacta Professional or similar and if the needle gets clogged just take a lighter and heat the needle for a few (6-7 max) seconds...

BE SURE TO TAKE THE NEEDLE OFF THE BOTTLE FIRST !!!!!

Chris.

Offline Peppylepugh

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Sun Apr, 22, 2012, 10:07:PM »
First posting. Good Day all. Thought for sure this one would have filled up quick.  A tip I use quite often, is to use a silver "Sharpie" to outline both sides of a parting line or spot super glue, I am sanding, to see how much work will be involved with it. It is faster than opening and closing paint bottles and you don't have to clean the brush out. Downside with this technique is that the ink in Sharpies is thicker than most brush paint and needs complete removal before any other color coats go on. Use regular old "dry gas" to remove this. This stuff is very bad for you, in more ways than one. Use with extreme caution.

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Mon Apr, 23, 2012, 11:40:PM »
Nice one, Peppy.
Grendels does something similar using silver paint
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline ShutterAce

• Overdose
    • Jim's Trumpet
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Tue Apr, 24, 2012, 02:54:AM »
When I get ready to lay down a coat of paint and after blowing off/wiping down the model I spray it first with a coat of 91% ISO as a final degreaser. The ISO evaporates quickly so I can lay down a color coat as soon as I get it thinned and in the cup. probably unnecessary but it's cheap, easy and fast. :D

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Tue Apr, 24, 2012, 02:22:PM »
When I get ready to lay down a coat of paint and after blowing off/wiping down the model I spray it first with a coat of 91% ISO as a final degreaser. The ISO evaporates quickly so I can lay down a color coat as soon as I get it thinned and in the cup. probably unnecessary but it's cheap, easy and fast. :D

I would not do this between color coats of certain paints.   This will loosen the paint and cause a mess.   Right now I am using 91% ISO to strip off Alclad Lacquer paint.   

Great idea on a unpainted model, which I suspect ShutterAce meant.   

Yes I will lay down a strip of silver paint to see the seam with.   I am afraid of sharpies on models,   I have seen too many where someone does pre-shading with a sharpie and it bleeds through the paint.   

Offline Black Sheep 1

• disgruntled member
  • Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Tue Apr, 24, 2012, 11:20:PM »
Mr, Surfacer 1200 as a primer.
No, not the rattle can, but the bottle of Mr. Surfacer 1200.
Dilute 1:1 (or 50/50) with lacquer thinner and spray (airbrush) on.
After it dries, use the finest wet sandpaper you can get and sand smooth.
Since it's a lacquer based product, it will "bite" into the plastic and will not chip off.
It's also a great filler if you have some sanding scratched that you forgot to polish off.
On the bench:

Offline ShutterAce

• Overdose
    • Jim's Trumpet
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 01:27:AM »

I would not do this between color coats of certain paints.   This will loosen the paint and cause a mess.   Right now I am using 91% ISO to strip off Alclad Lacquer paint.   

Great idea on a unpainted model, which I suspect ShutterAce meant.   

Yep, that's what I meant. 8)

Offline schweinhund227

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 08:52:AM »
Since it's a lacquer based product, it will "bite" into the plastic and will not chip off.
It's also a great filler if you have some sanding scratched that you forgot to polish off.

How do you keep the A.B.  clean ???   that must be a Dirty job to clean that stuff off ???      Really !  you spray that stuff out of your A.B.   ?    wow !

You are a lot more courageous that me !      but sounds like an interesting option Next to USING Rattle-Cans !

hummm  food for thoughts !

Offline Black Sheep 1

• disgruntled member
  • Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 08:57:AM »

How do you keep the A.B.  clean ???   that must be a Dirty job to clean that stuff off ???      Really !  you spray that stuff out of your A.B.   ?    wow !

You are a lot more courageous that me !      but sounds like an interesting option Next to USING Rattle-Cans !

hummm  food for thoughts !

I don't know, for me it's real easy to clean the AB.
Just run some lacquer thinner through it once, break it down and clean the needle and nozzle with thinner and then re assemble. Then run some Vallejo Airbrush cleaner through it just to keep it lubed and there ya go.

I guess it's the advantage of using a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution.  Very simple to break down and clean.
On the bench:

Offline FlipFlop

• Habitual User
  • I like my planes like my women - dirty!
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 10:53:AM »
Yeah, acetone takes Mr.Surfacer off too... I don't know how/if it affects airbrush tho (o-rings and stuff).
Which reminds me of another one:
When i have to cover small gap i cover it with Mr.Surfacer and when it dries i wipe the excess with q-tip soaked in acetone. Be careful tho because acetone can melt/damage styrene - don't stop in one place and don't force it... This way you don't have to sand...

Cheers!
MiG-15 UTI (1/48):

Offline andrei383

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 06:24:PM »
Those who have seen the AK Interactive Enamel Weathering Techniques DVD would have seen how mud splashes were made with the AK Interactive Earth Effects and using an airbrush to "splash" the mud onto models.

Well, for modellers like me who lack an airbrush, I have come up with my method of the technique (or maybe someone uses this method as well, I don't claim being the inventor of this method): Since I own a DSLR, I own an air blower normally used to blow dust from lenses or the camera sensor. This works as a perfect alternative for an airbrush! So the basic process is to dip an old brush into the mud mixture and use the blower to splash the mix from the brush onto the model.

Here's an example of what I use. Note that these come on several sizes and the biggest ones will provide the greatest air pressure.

One thing to note: repetitively squeezing the air blower works as a great stress relief too! :o
« Last Edit: Thu Nov, 15, 2012, 08:45:AM by Scott Girvan »
Current Project: Dragon 1/35th Flakpanzer I
Previous Project: Revell 1/35th SpPz Luchs A2

-Andrei

Offline spud

• Overdose
  • Irish and proud of it :)
    • irishscalemodeller
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 06:31:PM »
very crafy in deed :)

Offline helldiver

• Just Experimenting
  • Styrene Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: Wed Apr, 25, 2012, 07:21:PM »
Seeing an earlier post regarding glue spills, always put a blob of Blu tack on the base of the bottle to avoid topples. Is it just me, or is more glue lost to evaporation than spillage and gluing parts combined. So tip no 2, keep the cap of your cement bottle closed tight!
Save a Life, please donate blood.