Author Topic: 2018 IPMS show in Roanoke VA  (Read 140 times)

Offline Dutch

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
2018 IPMS show in Roanoke VA
« on: Sat Aug, 11, 2018, 08:41:PM »
Attended the 2018 IPMS show in Roanoke VA today.
Last year was better. This one started off with an absolute hell drive getting down th Roanoke so I was already in a less than receptive mood, and then the show itself had a LOT less entrants than last year.

Sci-Fi and Space was nearly non existent and in the armor and planes there was a lot of "lets be hyper-realistic and super detailed" which, while not a bad thing if you enjoy it, has been done a bazillion times on the exact same models. Sorry A&P guys, it gets old.

That isn't to say there wasn't some imagination or "what if" type stuff but it was nearly all limited to the "cars".

Oh and the vendors.
Look guys, if you are there to sell and conduct business you need to be dressed and groomed and bathed appropriately. I wouldn't ask to borrow a wrench from a couple of the people I saw there, much less trust that a $60+ kit was complete and undamaged. Oh and drop the freaking attitude. I may want that rare kit you have, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still a customer and am not going to kiss your ass in hopes you'll sell it to me. Absolutely Unbelievable.

But ending on a positive note, the scout troop that was there was awesome. It was nice to see the kids involved, some of their work was impressive especially for the age group, and they were polite, pleasant, and eager to talk about how they built their kits.

Link to the photos I took, sorry guys I'm not taking the time to post them one by one.
https://imgur.com/a/OFxcuaE
« Last Edit: Sat Aug, 11, 2018, 08:48:PM by Dutch »

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: 2018 IPMS show in Roanoke VA
« Reply #1 on: Sun Aug, 12, 2018, 02:39:PM »
Looked like a great show . Lotta cool builds .
I like that " Gorgo " there at the end    ;D

Thanks for sharing these pix !

LOL  - how disheveled were the vendors ?   They couldn't have been THAT awful   :D

Offline Dutch

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Sun Aug, 12, 2018, 05:02:PM »
I'm not kidding to say that the worst offender of the vendors looked like a homeless person who had snuck into the show.

Others looked like they had just finished mowing the lawn or some other labor and come straight to the show.

A couple of the vendors there were in clean, pressed, pants and a nice polo and decent shoes, combed hair that sort of thing but the rest... it was kinda shocking how disheveled they looked.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Sun Aug, 12, 2018, 05:35:PM »
Ha ha    ;D
None of that down here for the Houston show  .