Author Topic: Revell BAe T.1 Hawk - Red Arrows  (Read 923 times)

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
Revell BAe T.1 Hawk - Red Arrows
« on: Thu May, 03, 2018, 07:14:AM »
Morning all!

A friend of mine has commissioned me to build him a BAe Hawk T.1 as part of his on going projects for his artist page.

https://www.facebook.com/mrlongtheartist/

I've previously built a 1:32 scale Mk.IIb Spit for him, which features in his piece "with the sun at my back" as reference points for him.

In his next project, the BAe Hawk is the subject of choice, and here is the build log for it....

DSC_1179

DSC_1180

A decent full colour instruction manual

DSC_1181

DSC_1183

Decal sheet is nice and thick, especially the white markings

DSC_1182

Red Sprue's to hopefully help with the final paint of Tamiya TS-49, there's a bit of flash from themould, but generally its a good level of details for a 1:72 scale kit.

DSC_1184

My only concern is the det cords for the canopy...my thinking is to apply a gentle wash of white so that the paint recess into the det-cord sections and then wipe away the excess paint whilst it is still wet.

The cockpit goes together fairly quickly, and I've decided to try and paint the detail into the dials

DSC_1186

Seats are up next, lots of detail on them as well.

DSC_1185

thoughts  / comments are all welcomed
All of this has happened before....and will again..

Offline Gasinato

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
Re: Revell BAe T.1 Hawk - Red Arrows
« Reply #1 on: Mon May, 07, 2018, 05:00:AM »
This is a very good thing for me to know more.

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Thu May, 10, 2018, 05:11:AM »

Small update, the MB.10 seats and cockpit are pretty much done....small and fiddly though

DSC_1197

DSC_1198

Lighting was getting a bit poor by this point...

DSC_1202

DSC_1203

DSC_1205

More to come when I get the chance to.

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Wed May, 16, 2018, 04:44:AM »

Small update today, just buttoning up the fuselage.

DSC_1208

lots of filler and sanding needed though. this is just one example of the fit. not bad...but not great.

DSC_1211

Comments welcomed

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Mon May, 21, 2018, 05:17:AM »
Small update

Wings are on and the main principle build is almost done

DSC_1213

DSC_1212

DSC_1214

I had managed to do slightly more than the pics show, the forward canopy din't fit, standing proud by 2mm so some cleaver shaving of the cockpit display was needed.

I'm not wondering how to paint/colour the det cords in the canopy to highlight them?

I'm thinking f a very fine drawing pen possibly a Roiting 0.2mm drawing pen to highlight the det. cords....and thoughts and tips would be appreciated.

Offline Minayato

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Tue May, 22, 2018, 03:38:AM »
I want to know if these details are more detailed?

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Tue May, 22, 2018, 04:44:AM »

They're not bad, reasonable amount of detail but it's what you would expect for a 1:72 scale basic kit.

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Wed May, 30, 2018, 04:37:AM »
I didn't go for painting the det. cord lines as they would have been ruined and looked poor....my lack of a steady hand would have ruined the canopy....

So I pressed on with the canopy completion and the priciple build..

DSC_1226

DSC_1227

Masked up and ready for paint, though my local hobby shop let me down on the order of Tamiya's TS-49 rattle can paint...so its now been delayed until it arrives.

DSC_1228

I am a little confused as to what these three small holes are on the fuselage though? there are similar ones on the starboard side too...

DSC_1230

There is also a large hole on the top of the fuselage too with no indication in the instructions as to what should go there, any ideas?...This on I am tempted to fill over with putty and smooth over prior to paint.

More to follow on :)

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Mon Jun, 04, 2018, 05:14:AM »
Those images will defiantly be put to use when detailing the rear end and the smoke pipes.

Managed to find a bit time yesterday to try and paint the hawk....however some issues were encountered.

Before paint

DSC_1291

Not sure it was the heat or just that Tamiya's TS-49 Bright Red paint just did not want to site properly...Could be that it was a gloss paint too?

The other issue was that it would not adhere to the acrylic canopy either......I painted the frame dark grey ahead of the top coat but the TS-49 just would not lay over the acrylic....

Also for some reason the paint started to pool slightly as well.....DISASTER!! Sadly no pics of the pooling were taken.

DSC_1292

However, all being said, the gloss coating does look good.

DSC_1293

Now that it has dried I've started to gently sand back the paint to eliminate the effects caused by the pooling....I thought about using an acetone based remover to gently strip back the paint, but I am unsure on the reaction it may have with the plastic fuselage. Any advise would be great.

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Tue Jun, 05, 2018, 06:35:AM »
 Small update.......

the paint issue on the side has been rectified....gentle sand and clean then a reapplication of TS-49 has done the trick.........however.....

During the sanding process I accidentally caught the re-fueling probe and snapped clean in 2......to then be devoured by the arch nemesis....the carpet monster.....almost an hour on my knees with a head torch with no luck...so any suggestions or tips on how to fashion one would be a great help.

Also, it would seem that the masking tape I was using is substandard as the paint had seeped through onto the acrylic canopy. So I took a punt and used some acetone free nail polish remover with some cotton buds to gently clean up the excess paint. seems to have done the job but on the top of the canopy it has left a slight red haze.

Tried to take a pic, but I couldn't get it focus.

This build is fighting me at every step......

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Tue Jun, 05, 2018, 08:08:AM »
Try some Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the paint from the canopy.

Use one of those tape lint rollers to roll all over the carpet. It may well pick up the part.

I have discovered that ALL of the bright colors such as red, white, yellow etc tend to be runnier than others. I have also found that using an airbrush for these colors makes a HUGE difference.

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Tue Jun, 05, 2018, 11:01:AM »

Learning to use  an airbrush will be my next skill to achieve. I have an old draper tools one, just need a compressed air canister to learn with next

But I have searched everywhere for the fuel probe with zero luck, will have to find a way to fashion one somehow?

Great tip for the lifting off of paint from the canopy though. :)

will try it later on

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Mon Jun, 18, 2018, 04:41:AM »
The battle continues with this build....and it's getting personal now I think?

Firstly the decals are not quite cut correctly to position a seamless markings, so they need to be trimmed slightly around the tail.

Secondly, the "arrow" markings on the underside have to be cut / modified significantly in order to make them fit. its not perfect. but it will do.

The only other options would be to paint the under wing fins, apply the decal and then fit the fins over the top.

DSC_1321

What I have had to do once fitted was to cut the decal in the best possible way I could, then paint over the areas that were effected. seems to have worked ok?

DSC_1323

DSC_1326

Then the unthinkable happens.....just as I was placing on the final red dot for the wing roundel......it folds on me.....not only does it fold, it refuses to unfold, and distorts, and folds again.....irreparable now.....

So it now looks like this...

DSC_1325

I am at a loss as to how to rectify this....If anyone has a spare 1:72 scale RAF roundel red dot, you would be my savior!!

Any help / advise on this would be a huge help!

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Tue Jun, 19, 2018, 12:14:AM »
I'm surprised the red dot was a separate piece, actually.
The rest is looking sharp
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Tue Jun, 19, 2018, 04:59:AM »

I've had this a few times with RAF builds, not sure if it is because you can use the roundels as a maritime aircraft with our the red dot?

No idea.....I managed to find some spare red dots from a 1:72 BAc Lightning. they are slightly smaller by 0.3mm and slightly darker but they should do the trick....hopefully.

DSC_1327