Author Topic: "Oola's Last Dance" - Jabba the Hutt Throme Room Scene  (Read 71 times)

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
"Oola's Last Dance" - Jabba the Hutt Throme Room Scene
« on: Mon Apr, 16, 2018, 05:15:AM »
Hi, guys!

A little back story about the new project I'm currently working on - the diorama of Jabba's throne room from RotJ:

It started with the AMT kit from 80s

And it was the very-very first Star Wars model kit that I've ever built in my life! That had happened somewhere in 2005 if my memory serves me well, and I've been keeping it in my collection ever since, having some warm feelings for the kit with which everything has started.
As you can see, those warm feelings outweghted everything else, because the kit itself, as well as the way I've built and painted everything, are complete crap:

As a side part of the story, there is a regular Star Wars convention held in Moscow, called StarFans. And this year actress and dancer Femi Taylor is coming to StarFans as one of the special guests. Femi is known as the person, who played twi'lek slave dancer Oola in both Return of the Jedi and the Special Edition of RotJ (the yellow-greenish girl eaten by the Rancor)

So I've decided, that I'm going to revision my first model and rebuild it to something more proper - a scene depicting the last moments of Oola's life, her last dance. And would also take my chance to get a sign on the model by the actress, who played the leading role in the scene.

I've started with cutting the original model into pieces, and puting up the basic layout of the future scene:

I've decided to minimize the dimensions of the room to make it seem more crouded and a bit claustraphobic, as in the scenes from the movie. In other ways the layout of the place is based on the scheme from the book "Star Wars Locations Crossections" (which is quite well resembled by the original kit itself, I should admit):

I've then proceeded with providing the diorama a basis and missing walls/hallways made from foam plastic.
At this point I've also added some details to the interior, like an arc, in which frozen Han Solo would be hanging, an oven and vending machines near the main entrance. The lighting was also added to the scene with the use of several LEDs:

I've then covered everything with the external "framing" made out of sheet styrene

To smoothen the contrast between the original kit's plastic parts and the foam walls I've simulated the rough rocky structure of the throne room's ceiling, again using the foam plastic bits. I've then brought all the parts alltogether, covering them with a thin layer of white structural putty

After that I've primed everything black

And the last step for now was a layer of Future over the external frame, on which I would like to get Femi's sign:

After it is signed, I'll mask all the glossy part and proceed with further detailing and painting the interior.

Thanks for looking, and stay tuned for more, folks!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: "Oola's Last Dance" - Jabba the Hutt Throme Room Scene
« Reply #1 on: Mon Apr, 16, 2018, 10:16:AM »
Nice   ;D
                  Hope you get her signature  !

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: "Oola's Last Dance" - Jabba the Hutt Throme Room Scene
« Reply #2 on: Tue Apr, 17, 2018, 12:29:AM »
A lot of excellent work going on here
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--