Author Topic: Linseed Oil  (Read 715 times)

Offline rwsdog

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
Linseed Oil
« on: Sun Mar, 04, 2018, 07:18:PM »
My parents had a qt can of linseed oil. My mom must have used it for her hobby, which was painting on canvas of seascapes. This was a very long time ago, and until recently never knew what it was actually good for.  I had a bottle of TES2022 Enamel (International Orange) and it was opened previously. Sure enough, the air got to it, was congealing and was just about un-usable.  So I thought...is there something out there that can make it like new again?
A DYI painters site told me the answer was linseed oil. I eye-dropped some into the TES2022 and it is usable and like new again. Works only oil based paint. It replenishes one the 3 main components of this type of paint. Now I put some drops into each opened paint jar or can to keep it from congealing. In addition, it gives the refreshed paint a shiny new sheen. Try it yourself.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Linseed Oil
« Reply #1 on: Sun Mar, 04, 2018, 07:45:PM »
Well  , kinda - sorta .
Enamels use alkyd resins and linseed oil cures much slower and softer than alkyd .
You've essentially created a "long-oil" enamel  .
Did you strain the mix ?   

Offline rwsdog

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Sun Mar, 04, 2018, 07:56:PM »
No, I did not strain. Sure, it increases the drying time, but results I am looking at.....well, look spectacular.  I am more than pleased with the outcome and yes I am just spreading the word on this product that may have been overlooked. I know..... I had no idea of it's benefits....until very recently.

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Sun Mar, 11, 2018, 11:04:PM »
Testors continues to use metal lids for their glass jars. I have far more difficult time keeping those paints preserved than I do with other paints that use plastic lids. I do not like their metal lids, nor those little discs that always come loose. They are also more difficult to open when paint dries in the threads and seal it shut.