Author Topic: 1980 Jeep CJ-7 'tribute'  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
Re: 1980 Jeep CJ-7 'tribute'
« Reply #15 on: Sun Mar, 11, 2018, 08:50:PM »
So I've been a little busy this past week with various things, but got some time to Photoshop some decals and scratch-build the front & rear goodies I built for the 1:1.

I built this tire rack after I replaced the mangled corners, since the full-size tire was too much for the factory rack.

And here's how we came out on the little one:

For fun, I tossed on the hard top (not even straight, either - grrrr):

Kind of came out pretty much how it's supposed to, eh:

And now, we have the front bumper and winch all mounted up:

Pretty close - not 100% sure I'll keep that bumper - the sprue was too thick apparently, and I cut the main tubes a little short.  I guess I'll see what it looks like with the lights mounted up.

So, it's getting pretty close:

Still need to touch up some things (those taillights, for one), make the nerf bars, cargo net, and my camp chairs in the back, and toss on the little tiny pieces (such as the hood loops, tie downs, wipers, license plates, mirrors, antennas, etc.).

It might be time to face the facts, though: I think I might be better at building full-size stuff, than trying to make miniatures of it. ;)
Eric

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Sun Mar, 11, 2018, 09:44:PM »
You seem to be doing just fine with the little stuff to me, Eric
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Sun Mar, 11, 2018, 10:33:PM »
Thank you for that!  I am actually pretty proud of how the tire rack came out, even though it's a little bit different than the real one.  I'm still not 100% in love with the front bumper, though.  Everything else seems to be coming along OK.
Eric

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Sun Mar, 11, 2018, 11:57:PM »
At this scale, everything takes a little more patience is all.
Trial and error.

And, to quote Mr Girvan, "The goal is completion, not perfection

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Mon Mar, 12, 2018, 05:03:PM »

It might be time to face the facts, though: I think I might be better at building full-size stuff, than trying to make miniatures of it. ;)

LOL  -  I feel that way with every build .  ;D

Looking really good , Eric .

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Mon Mar, 12, 2018, 10:02:PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  I'm not on the ledge or anything, though. ;)  Turns out, making things on a smaller scale is just a little tougher to get right than I thought it might be.  Still, it's a ton of fun and I'm not giving up on it anytime soon or anything.  I just saw the pics of how nice the full-size things turned out, and can't help but feel a little lacking on how the smaller pieces came out.  Probably just because seeing the smaller things with all their imperfections magnified is what's landing on me when I see the pics.  Of course, my pics need a little bit better technique as well (shooting up close is an art that I'm nowhere close to mastering as well - but still working on it, of course).

Bottom line: I'm having fun with it, and I know my skills have vastly improved over how I used to slam 'em together.  I'll highlight that in one of my next builds. ;)
Eric

Offline Belugawrx

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Tue Mar, 13, 2018, 02:26:PM »
I like how this is coming along
Tell us about that 1:1 '78? Chev Pickup .... MMMMe likey !
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Tue Mar, 13, 2018, 09:13:PM »
I had a '78 K5 Blazer before the Jeep, for only about 8 months - it was a basket case that I had gotten close to completely repairing.  She hated it - reminded her of her ex's old Dodge truck.  When I had a chance to get the Jeep, I jumped on it.

It looked a lot like this (I don't actually have a picture of it, come to think of it):

http://www.mister4x4.net/Off%20Road/blazer.htm
Eric

Offline Belugawrx

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Fri Mar, 16, 2018, 07:20:PM »
Too bad ... still have the She ?
Bruce

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Fri Mar, 16, 2018, 07:48:PM »
Yup.  She loved both of the Nissan 4x4s, the Jeep, both my Rams and actually encouraged me to build the Mach 1... just didn't care for the Blazer.
Eric

Offline Belugawrx

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Fri Mar, 16, 2018, 07:53:PM »
worth it then ;)
I've been looking for one that hasn't rusted out yet,..

A Blazer, not a wife....lol
Cheers
Bruce

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Mon Mar, 19, 2018, 10:04:PM »
So I got a few more things done this weekend.  I pulled the seats so I could have better access to the roll bar to make the Bed Webb (cargo net) I put on to keep all the stuff from flying out on the freeway, and also to scratch-build a center console (even with cup holders).  Also added the fire extinguisher on the roll bar, and got the license plates mounted, along with the windshield bumpers, wipers, and hood clamps.  Oh yeah, scratched up a soft-top as well (which is usually folded up in the cover, since I never drive it in the rain, let alone much at all anymore).

So all that's left:
    mirrors
    nerf bars (the paint was still drying when I took the pics)
    off road lights on the push bar
    sun visors
    rear view mirror
    antennas
    Skyjacker steering stabilizer

I'm still working with the camera to get some better pics.  I must've taken about 20 and these were the best.

In case anybody's wondering, the cargo net is a bridal mesh veil, that was on clearance at Michael's.  I colored it with a blue Sharpie.
Eric

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Wed Mar, 21, 2018, 01:02:AM »
Looking really good, Eric

Offline Mister 4x4

• Recreational User
    • Mister 4x4.net
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Sun Mar, 25, 2018, 09:55:PM »
Thanks Q!

OK - so get the fork ready to stab, I'm calling this one done.

Today, I made the sunvisors, off road lights, some hubs (Superwinch blue caps), an antenna, and a steering stabilizer (that's still drying since glossy paint takes way longer than flat).  Also, got the side mirrors, rear view mirror, and everything else stuck on.

I'm pretty happy how it all turned out - a few things could've gone better, but I'm not going to sweat it considering the direction it was going when I pulled it apart and rebooted things.  I think the only things missing found on the full size are the rear speakers, Taz rubber floor mats, and the wiring for the winch & lights, otherwise it's pretty much all there.

I had this idea of making the covers using some masking tape - glad I went the other way and just cut some pieces of a hot glue stick instead

I still love how the center console and cargo net came out.  Pretty much dead on!

The sun visors are blue because that's the original color of the interior - haven't changed 'em out yet.  I'm lovin' the soft top, too.

That antenna is a tad thick, but it's the only paper clip I could find - the skinny plastic one shattered as I was pulling it from the sprue.

The off road light covers look like they have some bug splats on 'em (which the real ones do as well)

Tires are still a little too big, but dang that stance looks cool!

I'm not sure which kit to start next, but I'm leaning toward revisiting my '82 Mustang, since the one I built back in '89 looks like such a horrible replica of the real car compared to how this one came out.  Not to mention, I actually scored the correct year model ('79-'82 vs. '83-'84), found the correct wheels, and have some good reference pics.  After that, I might have to try something other than a car (I have some cool sci-fi kits and am kind of itching to see how that goes).

Thanks for sticking with me!
Eric

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Sun Mar, 25, 2018, 10:05:PM »
Those offroad lights are hot-glue slices  ?    ;D  heh heh  , Awesome .
You need to take it outside and get some pix of it with the trees and sky in the background !

. . .. as far as doing a scifi kit  , The Star Wars group build will still be going   -- even after you finish the Mustang   :D