Author Topic: First ever build A-10.  (Read 290 times)

Offline Andrewpenny22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
First ever build A-10.
« on: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 12:01:AM »
Im VERY new to the hobby and picked up a kit from the store the other day to see if id like it or be any good at it (i love it). I thought i was doing ok until i saw some on here and my god there are some nice pieces on here.. Its a honby ive beem thinking of trying for a few months now so i figured id give it s try!

Keep in mind the only supplies i bought were the plane, a percision knife, glue, a camo  air brush kit which had 5 of the 7 i have colors and a **** air gun lol, and 3 brushes to keep the cost down incase i didnt like the hobby (i will be investing in nice gear down the road now haha).

Right now im only up to dry fitting wings and tail. Updates will be posted soon!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline Bullet21

• Addict
    • Awards
Re: First ever build A-10.
« Reply #1 on: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 12:48:AM »
Looking good, nice job on the office. And welcome to the addicti..I mean hobby. 😁
Keep smilin'--it makes this world a nicer place

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 08:55:AM »
Hi and welcome to SMA and this crazy hobby.

Looking good man.

Offline the Baron

• Overdose
  • Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 05:48:PM »
Welcome to the Herd!  That's a nice start!  You show good skills.  Is that the Monogram A-10 (newer box will be marked Revell-it's a long story)?
Non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 06:51:PM »
Looks like you're off to an excellent start.
Showing some excellent brush skills already
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Wed Dec, 13, 2017, 12:16:AM »
Looking good so far!

Online Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Wed Dec, 13, 2017, 05:15:AM »

Great job so far on the tub! Keep it up....looking forward to seeing the end result too :)

Also the A-10 is one of my fav aircraft...

Hopefully this may give you some good reference material for your build too.

All of this has happened before....and will again..

Offline Andrewpenny22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Wed Dec, 13, 2017, 07:34:AM »
Welcome to the Herd!  That's a nice start!  You show good skills.  Is that the Monogram A-10 (newer box will be marked Revell-it's a long story)?
Ive heard in youtube videos of people "pulling models out of the stack" and complain about older revell.. I dont know the difference BUT here is the picture of the box LOL pretty sure its new. I just wanted something to try before i go online and spend a hundred or so on the F1 car thats my "end goal"(the one i REALLY want to build.. Thrre will be more later hahah.

Offline Andrewpenny22

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Wed Dec, 13, 2017, 07:46:AM »
Ive got the wings mounted and painted. The tail is slightly crooked and some of the cracks in thr seam of the fuselage are showing but thats alright for now.

Thanks to everyone who took a look! I used to be a Parts Finisher for Boeing, Bombardier, Bell Textron Helicopters and Lockheed Martin (f35 fighter program).  Everything is to .005 of an inch with very very tight tolerances and certain surfaces you cant touch. That combined with the fact i used to have an auto detail shop is where i get my attention to detail and love of planes !

Online peza

• peza
  • Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Fri Dec, 15, 2017, 09:12:AM »
Welcome buddy well done it looks very neat and tidy, if there's anything you wish to know these guys are a font of knowledge... Or if ya like me and find things easier to watch instead having things described to me, check out you tube if ya painting type in for that! Top job so far keep it up.. Thanks peza
"you there only mean`t to blow the bloody doors off"

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Fri Dec, 15, 2017, 02:30:PM »
Looks like your off to a great start in the hobby

Offline the Baron

• Overdose
  • Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Fri Jan, 12, 2018, 06:56:PM »
Ive heard in youtube videos of people "pulling models out of the stack" and complain about older revell.. I dont know the difference BUT here is the picture of the box LOL pretty sure its new. I just wanted something to try before i go online and spend a hundred or so on the F1 car thats my "end goal"(the one i REALLY want to build.. Thrre will be more later hahah.

Yeah, the label is Revell, but the kit is actually Monogram.  Monogram released the kit originally in 1986, before the two companies were bought by Odyssey Partners and merged into one company.  I asked, because there are some other 1/48 A-10 kits out there, such as from Tamiya and from Hobby Boss.

Some people turn their noses up at Monogram, Revell, and Revell-Monogram kits, but I built them when I was a kid (b. 1964).  Some of their kits were simple, especially the further back we go in time.  But they produced a lot of good kits, too, and I still enjoy building the original kits.

Since the merger, the company has also released kits from other companies under license, as well as issuing completely new-tooled kits under Revell of Germany, too.

That's great progress on your Warthog, too!  I look forward to your next post.
Non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam