Author Topic: Help request: soldering a 555 circuit board for a strobe  (Read 531 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Help request: soldering a 555 circuit board for a strobe
« on: Sun Nov, 19, 2017, 09:11:AM »
Could anyone please help me?

I have successfully built a strobe light on my breadboard, but when I attempted to solder up a circuit board for it, I only get a solid light.
Here is a video showing what I have done. Can anyone give me any advice? I can only think that perhaps the diode is polarized and that I have it in backwards. Or maybe the capacitor, but I am pretty sure it's aligned the way it was on the breadboard.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
Re: Help request: soldering a 555 circuit board for a strobe
« Reply #1 on: Mon Nov, 20, 2017, 09:22:AM »
Wish I could be of help but I know nothing.

Offline texastony1946

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Mon Nov, 20, 2017, 10:29:AM »
Check the polarity on the capacitor and diode, Looks kike the cap is staying fully charged. Usually an electrolytic cap has a polarity mark on the side of the cap. The band on the diode is the negative side.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Mon Nov, 20, 2017, 07:47:PM »
As the Socratic paradox states, "I only know that I know nothing and that I like Canadian maple cookies."

...At least that's how I think it goes. Was Canada invented yet in Socrates's time?

OK, so the diode needed to be switched. The end with the black stripe has to go on the right side. This was my first suspicion. I was at least smart enough to take plenty of pictures of the setup on my breadboard before taking the parts off to create the circuit.

Sure enough, feedback I received stated that diodes are polarized. People also said that capacitors are polarized too. It worked regardless, but I went ahead and switched that too.

As Anakin says, "It's working! IT'S WORKING!" (As the Force theme soundtrack swells... Hey, I thought Ben Kenobi said that Anakin was an accomplished pilot before they even met? Didn't say anything about him just being a drag racer who'd never crossed the finish line. Oh, and he also said that Anakin and Owen had a falling out about "not getting involved." That never happened.

OK, so we've confirmed three things:
1. Canadian maple cookies are like heroin. (CURSE YOU, CANADA!)
2. The Star Wars prequels sucked.
3. Diodes are polarized.

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Tue Nov, 21, 2017, 08:24:AM »