Author Topic: Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon  (Read 337 times)

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon
« on: Fri Nov, 17, 2017, 05:17:PM »
I kind of stalled with my other group build, but this is something I am hoping to have wrapped up by the end of the year

I per-ordered from Amazon back in July, it was shipped Oct 31 and with the free standard shipping option it arrived on Nov 7.

it was a huge box. Not quite as big as the Fine Molds Falcon, which is longer and wider, but not as deep. It actually had lots of extra packaging stuff like the studio model shots etc...

It is nearly as big as the 1/1000 Domelaze box or the Zvedza Star Destroyer. Smaller in length and width than both, but much deeper

At any rate, opened up. There is a lot of stuff stuffed in there with virtually no room to spare

First thing is first. Build the cockpit and paint the figures.

The Bandai figures have amazing detail in many respects, but are posed absolutely stiff as a board in a sitting position.

So, I did some slicing, reposing, and used some greenstuff to create a new arms and positions for Han and Chewie.

Not prefect maybe but much better then sitting with their hands on their laps

I haven't decided who to put in the back seats yet. I'm leaning towards Luke and Ben as that is who was there the first time we see the Falcon.

I'm hoping it would be possible once in a while after it is built to swap out for Leia and 3-PO maybe, but that might be hard the way you have to assemble the cockpit

This weekend I will be working on painting the interior and hopefully the figures as well once the greenstuff dries on them

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon
« Reply #1 on: Sat Nov, 18, 2017, 01:04:AM »
Looking forward to seeing this beast progress
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Sat Nov, 18, 2017, 02:56:AM »
No one ever lets poor 3P0 drive.....

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with here- every Falcon build has it's own personality.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Sat Nov, 18, 2017, 08:42:PM »
Luke let C-3PO drive his Landspeeder!

So I started with the back wall. I did not want to use the decals since they are a pain to put on over the detail and there was so much awesome detail that they also actually just cover up

However, I was not 100% happy, so I decided to try using just certain parts of the decals. So I cut them into smaller sections to help make it easier to put on as well as not obscure other things

I managed to get Han and Chewie mostly finished as well as the side wall and the back

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Sat Nov, 18, 2017, 11:33:PM »
Cockpit is looking really good

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Mon Nov, 20, 2017, 11:43:AM »
Thanks!

Still having problems getting the nice clean look for the panels. Here is the previously painted one wiht a mix of decals and painting

I had issues in certain areas with the lines getting warped by the raised details after dumping tons of Micro Sol on them trying to get them to conform

Still, I guess it's to too bad in person as long as you don't zoom in with a lense or magnifying glass :D

once closed up in there it will be so dark anyway.

Time to move on and finish the rest of the cockpit

For now, here are some better color balanced pics that are ore representative of how it looks in person

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Mon Nov, 20, 2017, 12:41:PM »
Looking cool from here.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Tue Nov, 21, 2017, 11:47:AM »
Agreed, looks good!

Offline BenHobbie

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Tue Nov, 21, 2017, 04:32:PM »
Well done  ;)

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Mon Dec, 04, 2017, 08:19:PM »
Thanks everyone for looking!

I have put the cockpit cone aside for now. I am really tempted to cut the door open and scratch a hallway behind it. So for purpose of stalling, I have moved on to building other areas

Working on the mandibles

Not much progress, but for those who haven't seen the kit yet, or having started building, this might be of interest

I must say, the details on this thing are just absolutely crazy. They detailed parts you can even see in some places. Most kit producers would just have skipped some of those details. In some case its like they decided to make the full donor part, even if part of it can't be seen

Like here for example

it gets covered up by this

Then you also have insanely intricate detail, that you have to snap in, with a tiny piece

like these...

And I suggest putting a large box lid or something under you while you cut these parts off the sprue or are trying to snap them in place. I dropped one of these and it took me 15 minute to find in the carpet

Also, just things like these 2 pin hole openings leave me in awe as far as their molding process.

The real mind bender however are these pieces. The bottom pieces are the pieces you use if you want the photo-etch piece for the vent on the tube right behind the cockpit. However, the kit plastic pieces actually look better since they have raised strips and angled louvers like the actual koolshade compared to flat, 2-d like look of the photo etch. I mean, they even have the holes behind the louvers!!!

I primed the wells black first before snapping them into the mandibles. I figured that way it was easier to get them fully covered with worrying about the undercuts or angles or getting too much primer on them. It should make it easier when painting with the base coat as well to give some shadows

I masked off the pins and snap points so when snapping them in place, the extra layers of paint won't cause fit problems

« Last Edit: Mon Dec, 04, 2017, 08:21:PM by blakeh1 »

Offline Captain Han Solo

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Tue Dec, 05, 2017, 01:31:PM »
LOOKING AWESOME SIR!!!

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Tue Dec, 05, 2017, 02:06:PM »
LOOKING AWESOME SIR!!!

thanks. Hopefully mine turns out half as good as yours

I did have a question, over on your thread in the RPF, I forget if you mentioned which paint you used for the base coat on yours.

I was going to use Tamiya AS-20, but I think it looks too grey. I might stick with just the straight Tamiya flat white over the black base with just a wee hint of Deck Tan added

Here is a shot of Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White compared to the bare plastic color. I am assuming the bare plastic color is pretty close to what Bandai considers to be the base color

In some light it looks close (AS-20 covered piece on the left compared to bare plastic mandible)

but in other light it is pretty obvious it is darker/greyer

I believe the base should be whiter to start with, especially with the weathering that will be added

I did my Fine Molds Falcon with AS-20 but I think it is too grey for the 5 ft one

Offline Belugawrx

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Tue Dec, 05, 2017, 09:47:PM »
Cockpit looks Great !
And those molds are full of awesome detail goodness !
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Fri Dec, 08, 2017, 12:02:AM »
This is looking tempting. I wish you luck with it.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Mon Dec, 11, 2017, 07:58:PM »
thanks Belugawrx

This is looking tempting. I wish you luck with it.

If your on the fence, it is worth every cent assuming you can get it for suggested MSRP.  I've also seen a lot of good deals that are $40 to $100 less than the MSRP. I'm not sure how long this will continue to be in production, but you can bet once it goes out of production, prices will skyrocket

it's the most expensive model I have ever bought. Previous winner was the Fine Molds 1/72 one. And for that I pooled all my Birthday and Christmas money, plus a few months modelling budget as well as several commission pieces for painting wargaming miniatures

I was able to afford one due to a lucky convergence of my 20th work anniversary gift and it's release. I got $1000 in visa gift cards and used part of that to pay for it as a present to myself.

Otherwise I was planning on possibly selling off some of my modelling stash to get it

At any rate, here is where I am at with it.

I painted the hallway at the top of the ramp. I know it would probably be really hard to see, but I wanted to give the illusion of the hallway continuing on in case you could glimpse it from certain angles. Rather than waste tons of effort and time building it physically, I tried painting it instead to look like it wraps back and continues

The illusion should be convincing enough from the viewing angles

it's weird. With as many other areas where they added detail that you either can't really see once assembled, or that gets completely covered up, they left this giant pipe blob there instead of having a separate pipe

I guess I'll let them slide since it is barely visible, and is in one of the maintenance pits on the bottom :P ...

...but still, they did detail on this piece that gets completely covered...

...once you put it here...

And last, a warning. even though you are pretty safe not gluing most parts, consider at least gluing in the the piep ends and the ends of some of the wire type greeblies.

The end of the 3 pronged bits were loose and didn't actually have anything to hold them down. I apparently must have snagged it on my clothes or something and broke one of them off

I was able to repair it though as luckily I found the broken piece

Oh yeah, and this pattern of greeblies is all over the Falcon. it's one of the maintenenance pits, the undersides of the mandibles, and part of it is visible under the molded in battle damage.

You'll also recognize some of the sub-assemblies as the side of the Y-Wing neck

« Last Edit: Tue Dec, 12, 2017, 09:50:AM by blakeh1 »