Author Topic: 1/72 Fujimi MiG-21 pin up  (Read 193 times)

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
1/72 Fujimi MiG-21 pin up
« on: Sun Oct, 22, 2017, 01:29:PM »
When I saw the box for this kit I snagged it right up. How can you go wrong? A MiG-21 with pin up art from Czechoslovakia? Hell yeah! LOL

Not a bad little kit at all.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: 1/72 Fujimi MiG-21 pin up
« Reply #1 on: Fri Nov, 03, 2017, 10:32:PM »
What metallic paint did you use, and did you have problems with the decals sticking? What clear coat did you use? It looks nice.

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Sun Nov, 05, 2017, 09:13:PM »
That is Alclad aluminum. Sometimes I do have an issue with the decals holding on Alclad, but not with these. And the micro sol made sure they stayed down. I did not use any clear coat.

And thank you. :)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Mon Nov, 06, 2017, 02:56:AM »
I'm currently doing a P-38 Lightning Eggplane by Hasegawa. I used Mr. Color 8 Silver. Decals aren't a problem on it, but the reason I asked about your paint is because I have heard of decals having a hard time with metallic paints. I did some tests for a clear coat. The lacquer Mr. Color clear dulled the silver. Future was better, but Alclad's Aqua Clear was better. It still isn't as nice as the base paint, but it's good to seal the decals. I have only ever used Alclad's Chrome, and I have a problem with it rubbing off from just touching it. I assume that the aluminum color does not have this issue?

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Wed Nov, 08, 2017, 09:32:PM »
I have not had that issue with any of the Alclad colors I have used. But, I have not used the chrome either.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Wed Nov, 08, 2017, 10:21:PM »
Yeah, the chrome is tricky. You must spray it onto a high gloss black surface. I mean, you have to polish it very well in order for the chrome to shine. It's very difficult to get it to look nice. I've used it a few times and I still cannot get a truly mirrored finish. Unfortunately, it can rub off easily, so you'll need to seal it first.

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Thu Nov, 09, 2017, 06:16:PM »
When I get around to doing John Glenns F-86, I will be trying it. That plane was polished!