Author Topic: Airbrush reccomendation  (Read 198 times)

Offline wpvmddds

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
Airbrush reccomendation
« on: Tue Sep, 05, 2017, 01:43:PM »
Back in the hobby after a 30+year hiatus.  Trying to get the hang of airbrushing Vallejo acrylics and have determined that  most of the difficulties I am encountering are coming from my POS harbor freight airbrush.
In the market for a new airbrush. Back in the day I had a  Paasche H and had got excellent results using enamels.  Considering buying one.  But, is a gravity feed model a better choice with acrylics?

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Airbrush reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: Tue Sep, 05, 2017, 01:51:PM »
I use my Paasche Talon for everything  ,, including larger mixed media on canvass etc .
Most of the problems with spraying Vallejo and acrylics in general is tip-dry .
Acrylics dry quite fast and clog the tip  --  using the proper AB thinner is absolutely a must .

Others here will no doubt recommend the Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes or of course Badger .
AB's are like any other hand-tool  ,  lot of personal subjectives in play .

BTW   -- my experience with Vallejo is you need to ensure they are properly mixed   -- with a stirrer or by adding some mixing balls into the bottle to ensure enough agitation .
Personally  , I never mix coating directly in the cup  I always do it in a small , separate container  -- even though cup-mixing is always demonstrated by almost everyone .

Offline wpvmddds

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Tue Sep, 05, 2017, 04:06:PM »
I am struggling with tip drying.  I am using Vallejo airbrush thinner and have tried increasing the ratio of thinner/paint drops to as much as 4:10.  The paint then gets too watery/runny.  This is when applying Vallejo primer.  I'll try the mixing in the bottle; you are one of many who recommend this.
  The talon looks like a very reasonably priced airbrush and has stellar reviews.  I can't bring myself to part with the kind of cash they are asking for Harder and Steenbeck.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Tue Sep, 05, 2017, 10:48:PM »
You can add retarder  ,, I rarely use it though .
I usually just stop and pull the air-cap and clean the tip off   -- quick fix .
For me  , Vallejo is very inconsistent  ... so some colors give me no issues while others are a PITA .

Best advice I can give is just keep experimenting .

I really like the Paasche Talon  , it runs a .25 , .38 , .66 tips and the .66 runs a fan-air cap also , for large areas .
Maybe one day I'll buy a H&S to check it out  -- I think it may be better for very fine detail , but I have no experience with them and my Talon does everything I need it to do .

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Tue Sep, 12, 2017, 01:53:AM »
Model Air is consistent, Model Color isn't, simply because it takes more or less pigment to make the color as vibrant or as opaque as it needs to be. Not sure why the difference in consistency between the 2 lines, but it has always been that way.

I just keep a Qtip with thinner on it to keep the tip clear.

Offline Vigorsaga

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Tue Sep, 12, 2017, 04:22:AM »
No problems at all in the press to the site, then we will also follow you to the next course.