Author Topic: Questions about navigation lights on fighter jets  (Read 203 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Questions about navigation lights on fighter jets
« on: Mon Aug, 21, 2017, 11:36:PM »
So who is an expert on this sort of stuff? So on a typical fighter craft, there are red lights are on the port wingtips and blue lights are on the starboard. The red strobes are on the top and bottom, right?

I have a Hasegawa 1:72 SR-71 Blackbird (thanks again to Urumomo for sending me the pilot figures) and I am currently studying how to wire a 555 timer chip to produce a strobe. There are no wingtip lights, but only retractable strobes that pop out of the top and bottom of the craft during takeoff and landing. I'm planning to use fiber optics for these.

I am also planning to light up a Hasegawa 1:48 F-8E Crusader fighter jet. I've ordered some tiny red and blue SMDs for the wingtip lights and use the same red SMDs for the strobes.

Both kits will use 5mm flickering yellow LEDs for the engines. These as well as the SMDs are from HDA Modelworx. The Blackbird should be pretty easy because the kit's fuselage is basically a long, hollow tube made of a top and bottom. It will be easy to put a timer chip in there to handle the strobes. For the Crusader, I think I can put the timer chip and resistors in the empty space behind the rear landing gear bay. This will be a more constrained area.

So do fighter jets only activate their nav lights during takeoff and landing? I can't imagine they'd have them running while on a mission, since it would increase visibility. Who knows about this stuff?

Offline Go Flight

• Habitual User
    • My tiny piece of the Net...
    • Awards
Kev
~ ~ ~

If it's Star Wars, I'm in...

My little piece of the Net - kevtk.blogspot.com

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: Questions about navigation lights on fighter jets
« Reply #2 on: Wed Aug, 23, 2017, 09:23:PM »
You're right. I've posted this on a few other forums and although the light's plastic is blue on the starboard, it shines green. I think I may try painting the plastic with clear blue and insert a green light. The problem is that I just ordered blue SMDs from HDA Modelworx. I'll need to order some green ones now.

Here is information on lights on an F-14 fan page:
http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-light.htm

Last night I drilled out the clear part for the landing gear light on the Crusader. I was able to insert a tiny white SMD into it. My idea is to have the wings popped up like it is coming in for a landing. I'll just need to attach the wires onto the inside of the landing gear bay door and paint them the same color as the interior to minimize their noticeability.

Online peza

• peza
  • Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Tue Sep, 12, 2017, 04:34:PM »
Eh up Steve check this web site out. www.ravenscalemodels.com
They had some good magnetic on off switch system and lighting kits especially for aircraft? Maybe worst a look!
"you there only mean`t to blow the bloody doors off"

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Tue Sep, 19, 2017, 11:09:AM »
I received my tiny 0402 green SMDs from HDA Modelworx today! I painted a clear plastic grocery tray with clear blue Tamiya paint and shone the green SMD through it and it still looks very much green.

As for lighting kits, over the past year or so I have been studying some electronics so that I won't have to pay $50 for a lighting kit and spend only about $5 instead. I think I've figured out a 555 timer chip to do a strobe. Grendels here has done several informative videos that are a good primer on the subject.