Author Topic: 3141.9  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
Re: 3141.9
« Reply #15 on: Wed Aug, 09, 2017, 09:02:PM »
Well, at least it wasn't like what I had with an old resin kit I never finished years ago from Ghost In The Shell... Kusanagi's head had a BAD void around the left side of her face! It was covered by her hair piece, but it still need a crapton of putty to not make her look like she got shot in the face! I gave up on it cos I really needed to sculpt the detail back in and sucked at sculpting back then. I was like 19-20.

Oh, yeah, be CAREFUL in handling the radiator fins for the nacelles, the tab on the front of them is DELICATE. I stressed one of them when I cut them from the sprue. Thankfully it straightened and the stress mark was easily hidden by the paint.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Wed Aug, 09, 2017, 09:32:PM »

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Wed Aug, 09, 2017, 11:39:PM »
Progress on the BB is looking really good
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Thu Aug, 10, 2017, 12:06:AM »
Thanx  , Q
Should have some pix tomorrow with her primer'd  , at least .

... later that night :

Fantastic !   
     I love ejector pin marks inside 3 mm squares with raised border detail  .
          Awesome .

And there's  Eight  !   ;D
                                           . ... and most are deep enough to reconsider scraping  ..   so happy

« Last Edit: Thu Aug, 10, 2017, 01:28:AM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 08:30:PM »
I had a relatively easy time gettin rid of the ejector marks. We kept worrying I was gonna damage the solar panels( and Zoe thought at one point I'd actually cut away part of the frame of the panel, got me freaked that I had, panicked and THEN we saw I didn't after all... :P) But they went away fairly easily.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 09:24:PM »
  --  I was thinking of replacing the struts for the solar-panels with wire to match the studio model , but just decided to stay OOB  .   ;)

I just filled the ejector pin marks with Tamiya putty and planed that down with the ceramic scraper .
   Seen here in progress :

Then used the Tamiya Surface Primer and wet-sanding with a tiny corner of some folded up 600 grit to smooth it all out prior to mounting them to the ship .

Using that same technique on the hull where it was needed :

I filled the joint at the base of the sail with repeated passes of matt varnish  ,  as well as the joint line between the hull and the engine   -- prior to and during priming :

I still need to finish sanding off some orange-peel  , mainly what remains on the solar-panels .
It's almost 100 F out in the work-shop where I take it to spray the primer  .
Without my glasses I didn't notice I was having that issue until I brought it back in to the bench .
If I had known , I would have made closer , faster passes with that lacquer .

Easy fix though  . 
Be top-coating later this evening .

The color on yours looks spot on from what I can see   -- just like the studio model   8)

« Last Edit: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 10:09:PM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 10:15:PM »
Lookin sweet! Hmmm, I dunno... been lokin at the photos you posted, and mine STILL looks too red to me. Asked Zoe, and she thinks it's fine, but I dunno... may slap yet ANOTHER drybrushing of grey on it.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 10:33:PM »

Well  -- I haven't seen it up close .
  just sitting in the background .
It was hard tell when you were handling it in the vid  up closer to the camera    ???

Post some pix

I'm debating what colors to use   ,, it will have to be Vallejo , only brand I have on hand for those colors .
The studio model looks like they just clear lacquer'd or urethane'd the plywood then hit it with pastels and charcoal .
I don't know when those pix were taken  -- sometime long after 1966 though .
That was evidently when it was being refurbished .

It's interesting how it appears pretty much identical to the Enterprise in the original film .
You'd think it would be far less reflective .

I need to smoke some more cigarettes before I decide to remove the solar-panels and replace the supports with wire !   ;D     
OOB , Keith      O. O. B.     ::)

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 10:43:PM »

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 11:28:PM »
Your seam work is looking really good.
And I definitely feel your aggravation with the color of the studio model
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Fri Aug, 11, 2017, 11:42:PM »
I will post them, but I wanna wait till the build videos are done. XD SUSPENSE! And I will agree with Q, the seams are very nicely done, especially for using epoxy putty.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 12:03:AM »
Thanx guys  ,  but not epoxy putty , Shawn  - Tamiya Basic Type , lacquer base .

While in the shower , I decided that doing it canon outweighed doing it OOB .
The primary mission in this was to do it canon as an exercise in discipline  .
I was already thinking of doing the Enterprise in black and titanium on the drive home from Hobby Lobby   ;D

When I was pondering it yesterday , I thought " how could you even see those wire struts in the film ---was it like that when they shot it ? "  -- so I return to the video
And Yep , they're wire , and Nope  -- they don't show up  -- well barely
It's like those rectangles are just floating out there   ;D

.... course I may just make new panels .
 The kit parts are too heavy in cross section

Edit  -  Yeah  ,  the panels are way off .
          Scaling off the pix of the studio model  , I get a length to height ratio of ~2.86  and the kit yields 1.87
           The vertical distance between the panels is ~ 1.86 the height of the panel  ,,, the kit gives 1.15 .

Course , I'm scaling off a photo , so allow some % error  ,, but not enough to tighten that canyon   ;D

The horizontal members appear to be the correct length  , and ratio between the " meaty " section and the rod section is OK .

Heh heh   -- great shot of the Enterprise  .  Be using this as a reference .

LOL  , that helmsman Bailey always votes blast 'em   ;D       Spaz

« Last Edit: Sun Aug, 13, 2017, 10:46:AM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 11:32:AM »
I just wanted to do a build, otherwise I'd have reworked the issues with the impulse engine. :) That's what is neat - you can do as little or as much work on a project as you want! That shot of the Enterprise is a cg recreation of an AWESOME shot done for the first pilot, The Cage, and reused at least once in the series proper. It was the first shot done with the 11 foot model. And ALL the shots of the 11 footer still hold up today, I think.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 02:56:PM »
 I'll be keeping a heads-up for that impulse engine issue when I start her   --- might not be an issue with this kit though  .

Has same date stamp  , 4/30/2014 " A3 " as the Botany Bay    . .. . have no idea if this means anything  ;D
 Before I took the part out of the plastic  , I saw that 2013 stamp and thought maybe the 2 ships were made at completely different dates  ,,  and probably are  .  Must be printed with that during the packaging process   ???
  - thinking that " A3 " might be the packaging line # or something .

Here's what I'll be building to replace the solar-panels  -
 I'm eye-balling through that mm scale  , so it's not super exact of course but more than close enough for these purposes .

That box @ the lower-left will be the actual dimensions of the scratched panels and supports  ( thickness TBD )
with the kit part just above it .
 The box @ right is the average of the proportions scaled off the pic  -- each described above and below it
 ( some slight rounding in there , obviously )

« Last Edit: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 03:14:PM by urumomo »

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 07:55:PM »

Might as well replace the outriggers also   ::)

« Last Edit: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 09:42:PM by urumomo »