Author Topic: 3141.9  (Read 1959 times)

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: 3141.9
« Reply #30 on: Mon Aug, 14, 2017, 06:38:PM »

OK  ,
           Jumped over to Enterprise construction .

In order to easily replicate the curvature of the hull with the Aves Epoxy when installing the poly joint-block ,
 I first made a mold of the hull section around that point out of the Aves to use as a guide :

I'm moving the support location aft so the uprights of the wall mount align to place the ships as they appear in that still from the episode posted at the top of the last post :

Then embedded the joint block  -  oriented to hold the hull plumb and square with the support rod :

After that first placement of epoxy was set  , I repeated the process using another joint block .
I added a second block only to make control of the hole's radial dimensions much easier when withdrawing the rod from the fresh epoxy .
The second block sits maybe 1 mm shy of the hull exterior surface with a slight amount of epoxy in the gap between the two .

Freshly finished here   -- it needs only very minor sanding once cured  :

« Last Edit: Tue Aug, 15, 2017, 12:06:AM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Tue Aug, 15, 2017, 12:51:AM »
Very clever Man! Smart thinking. :)

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Tue Aug, 15, 2017, 10:53:AM »
Thanks  , man   ;D
...  an advantage of slow-poking  ;  harder to get in front of myself and realize it's too late to do something like make a pattern or a duplicate of something .
 Still happens of course   :P     

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Wed Aug, 16, 2017, 12:52:AM »
I'm not as bad as I used to be but I used to always try to FLY through a build, cos I wanted to see the finished model. Annnd usually ruined it. Sometimes I still get like that, though.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Wed Aug, 16, 2017, 01:12:AM »
   ;D   I never finish anything so I don't feel rushed  .  LOL

Ha Ha  -- this little project will be though  .   So few parts   -- but I want to get the colors right .
              I'm currently working on the saucer  ; I'm looking at these navigation lights that spec out the normal red and green but I never see that in all the film I've watched thus far  -- they always appear white .

I think it's interesting how they molded them :

Curious if that gap is to allow some flex when it is installed between the saucer halves  -- or for injection reasons .
 Wouldn't think the clearances would be anywhere near that tight  .. not on this kit   ;)

Might be for thermal expansion so it's dishwasher safe   8)

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Wed Aug, 16, 2017, 03:17:AM »
Those saucer running lights are red/green on top, white underside. The refit had red/green top and bottom, and that's how it's been since. There are two tiny red lights on either side of the bridge dome as well, which as far as I know hasn't been done with any federation ships since TOS. It's weird that the lights are there, especially since the Klingon D-7 has the same lights on either side of its bridge dome too!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Wed Aug, 16, 2017, 10:58:PM »
Ah   ;)
The instructions tell you both top and bottom beacons are colored    :P

Look how wonderful the navigation lights look in this docking vid of the Dragon Capsule -- reflecting off the solar panels in the initial view of it here   :

Like an orbiting Christmas ornament    ;D

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 03:05:PM »
  Aight  ,
             I've been occupied with non-scale stuff  , but I have been picking at this thing .

Figure I better get a post in here before Hurricane Harvey brings the entire Gulf of Mexico ashore with it and the internet and power goes out ( though I do have a generator ) --- hopefully that will be the extent of damages here but ya never know what Mother Earth has in mind .

Well  ,   this ain't no  Bandai  kit   ;D
  The part fit is atrocious and there are significant errors in the build instructions .
  Really stupefying considering the low part count , the subject and the producer .
  Ironically , the flash isn't bad at all except on the engine halves .

We'll start with those nifty navigation lights in the saucer .
 They will not fit w/o stock removal :

The impulse engine will not fit without stock removal from the saucer half  , like a mm from each side of the gap it fits into  AND it will mount pointing upwards if you do not remedy that also  --- more stock removal :

The snap-fit extension at the top of the neck needs to be trimmed significantly or it hits the upper saucer half resulting in a massive gap at the joint . ( reduced about 50 % in height in the pic below )
 The saddle at the base of the engine pylons sits mega-proud of the hull   ,, requiring probably the most work in the build to tame .
 The cylindrical front section behind the deflector dish will not be concentric without removing significant stock from the front opening for it in the hull .
 The pylons do not sit " square " if assembled as produced  --- a line drawn across their zeniths will not be perpendicular to the neck between the secondary hull and the saucer .

The hanger bay doors don't work with the existing hull radius at that position so deft sanding and putty work is required .  ... . and definitely removal of the positioning tab on it .

I painted the inside of the clear parts for the bridge and phaser-dome white  , then  Micro-Mask'd  them
 The bridge looks cool  , but the plastic is so meaty for the lower dome it will require some surface effect in the end .

The instructions tell you to use the WRONG bridge piece for the production model      ??? ::)

The aft mounting point for the spine is Waaaay off  ( unless you like crooked stuff ) :

Not the best pic  , but this injection gate location is absurd considering the very fine detail of the ribbing .
 Not exactly skill level 2   -- more like skill level 12 to deal with that  :

This is where it is currently  ,  working on the engines
 I went for the peach color I see for the interior Bussard domes  ( when they don't appear dark copper or washed out gray )
 They are a bit more orange on the sides . I started with a " frosted peach " ink in Future  , then ended up mixing like literally a drop of Vallejo " basic skintone " into about 1.5 oz of future and sprayed that atop until it had the right color .
 Then rubbed a 4B pencil lead along the top edges of the vanes to hopefully mimic that shadow appearance they have ( when you can see them )

I'll frost the exterior clear domes with light sanding with 6-8000 grit after the painting is complete

I removed or truncated all the snap-fit artifacts to build it like a standard kit  , and would have even if there were not so many issues .
 You must do the same unless you don't care what the finished product looks like while you play with it in the tub   :D

Cheers !
« Last Edit: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 04:13:PM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 08:05:PM »
Now yer makin me regret not fixing some of the issues when I did it for the show! :/ Looking nice man!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 09:22:PM »
I'm surprised how poor the fit is  -- especially for the price .
I assume a lot of that coin goes to licensing fees to CBS   ;D

The exhaust end of the engines fit like they come from a completely different kit from another manufacturer or something .
If you assemble them as produced they just kinda hang out the end all stupid , misaligned with gaps you can stick a pencil through   ::)    ( bit of an exaggeration but not too far off )

Hobby Lobby sells it for like 28 -29 bucks  ,  with the 40 % off it's not too bad .
I saw that  Starship Modeler sells it for the same 28 bucks or so .
She'll look good in the end  ,,  but it certainly isn't the quick build I was anticipating .

Glad to hear you didn't have issues with the decals .
Like I said  , I can't believe they weren't packaged in plastic like the sprues .
« Last Edit: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 11:59:PM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 10:36:PM »
I'm thinking more and more about trying to do some reworking of certain bits, dangit! I dunno. I am almost definitely gonna dust the BB with a bit more grey or white to tone down the red. Just want a little bit of red.

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: Fri Aug, 25, 2017, 11:58:PM »
This one definitely had issues, I'll agree. And I've built a couple of them.
You're doing well with it.
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: Sat Aug, 26, 2017, 12:05:AM »
 Thanks Q   --  Yeah  , I like the scale though .   
   I'd just build another one , Shawn  - rather than mess with your completed one   ,, with the exception of modifying the color on the BB if you really want to  .  I know it's bugging you   ;)
 I think it looks fine though .
« Last Edit: Sat Aug, 26, 2017, 12:24:AM by urumomo »

Offline Thereal9thdoctor

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: Sat Aug, 26, 2017, 02:49:AM »
Well, I'll likely not get another. If I get more 1/1000 kits it'll be the refit and suchlike. But yeah, thinking Sunday after Zoe goes home I'll go ahead and take another swipe at the BB. Really should do something with the Dauntless, but the decals breaking apart on it still has me mad.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: Wed Aug, 30, 2017, 02:10:AM »
About to attach the  nacelles and then will be ready for first coat of gray
Thought I'd post a quick pic of another lovely nugget included in this kit .

The tops of each of these hoods at the engine exhausts have these wonderful dents molded in .
Really delightful .
With that super-fine ribbing in the detail , ya can't exactly just putty them away  ... gonna ponder this .

.... I see I need to do a little more work at removing that joint-line down in that groove behind them   :P

« Last Edit: Thu Aug, 31, 2017, 04:03:PM by urumomo »