Author Topic: Revell 1/72 ARC-170 Starfighter  (Read 510 times)

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
Revell 1/72 ARC-170 Starfighter
« on: Fri Aug, 04, 2017, 06:23:AM »
Hi, everyone.
Haven't posted any new WiPs for ages (can't say I've been recently building much either)

But here is a SW-themed GB, and who am I not to participate in such a fun? ;)

Recently I've started on the Revell's ARC-170 kit from RotS, which, as you likely know, is from their prepainted snap-together, but falls perfectly under the 72nd scale.

I was very lucky to get my hands on the long oop resin aftermarket kit for it (thank you my ebay savior from scratch-building all this stuff like the whole cockpit on my own).

So I've starte with assebling the cockpit in a single module, painted it and lighted:

I've then assembled the two halfes of the fuselage along with the connected engines and the s-foils. I made the engines lit, and also provided the missing panneling to all the surfaces it belonged to.

Next up I've assembled all the major parts of the build together

Then I've primed the whole thing and sanded the bad spots. For the better surface flatness prior to the next painting steps I've also covered the whole thing with a thick layer of Future.
Then I've turned to the fine detailing, using those bits coming with the aftermarket as well as some scratch, that has been applied mainly to the engines area and the underside of the fighter.

When all the detailing had been finished I've covered the whole thing with another layer of primer - this time the black one. It also served me as the pre-shading before the next painting steps.

At the moment all the main model painting is finished and the ship is ready for weathering.
I've also done some actual mechanical sheening to the area of red paint.

Finally, I've also printed some decals for those elements of hull marking that seem to be too small for this scale to be hand-painted accurately.
This is my first attemt at printing decals myself, so we'll see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for taking a look and stay tuned for some more updates soon.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Revell 1/72 ARC-170 Starfighter
« Reply #1 on: Fri Aug, 04, 2017, 09:46:AM »

Oh yeah  ,  There's a SW Group Build going on     ;D      I forget .

Nice 
    Never seen that craft  . I like it .  dragonfly-ish

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Fri Aug, 04, 2017, 11:09:PM »
Are those....B5 decals from SSM?
KEWEL.

Really love everything you've done here- looking forward to seeing your decal work!

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Fri Aug, 04, 2017, 11:56:PM »
Looking very good so far.
Your work is definitely showing here
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Sun Aug, 06, 2017, 11:55:PM »
Very nice!

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Mon Aug, 07, 2017, 03:26:AM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

Oh yeah  ,  There's a SW Group Build going on     ;D      I forget .

Nice 
    Never seen that craft  . I like it .  dragonfly-ish

Never thought about such a comparison, but now when You've mentioned it I just can't unsee the dragonfly-ishness of the craft anymore, lol ;D
It's there in the fighter's fuselage being shorter the the wingspan and the overall wings shape and positioning I guess.

Are those....B5 decals from SSM?
KEWEL.

Really love everything you've done here- looking forward to seeing your decal work!

darn right, sir ))
Just thought, that spending a whole A4 sheet for only the ARC-170's decals would be a bit too prodigally, so tried to find out something I have in my stach and for what I've got decals to print to use some day. Not that I'm planning to put the station together in the foreseenable future - too many other distracting projects at the moment - but I definitely going to get my hands on that B5 eventually.

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 06:36:PM »
Hi, folks.
A small new update here:
- I had applied the decals and then sealed them with some Future
- and then I've hand-painted some of the wear over the hull

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 06:52:PM »

O   --  those winglets fold down into the main wing    ;D   Nice  .
      ,  I see that now looking back at the artwork up top .
   Might have to acquire one of these    8)

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Sat Aug, 12, 2017, 11:34:PM »
Looking really good here

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Wed Aug, 23, 2017, 10:45:PM »
Very nice!

Offline kiwi gav

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Wed Aug, 30, 2017, 12:13:AM »
Nice progress there mate
No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Wed Oct, 04, 2017, 05:40:AM »
Thanks so much for the encouragement, guys!

This is steadily closing to finish now, with me turning to the weathering part.

The major weathering included some post-shading with an airbrush, followed by a throughout washing with MiG neutral wash and some touches with a dark one here and there. I've then drybrushed the outstanding elements with light grey acrylic and metallic paints where required and sealed everything with yet another layer of Future.

After that I've performed fading with various shades of oil paints: dark-grey, white, blue and beige.
This layer of weathering was sealed with 4 coats of matt finish after getting dry.

Now it seems to me that it's only left to take care of some crappy spots occurred after taking off the painting masks with some washes and dry pigments to finally call this complete.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Thu Oct, 05, 2017, 10:37:PM »
That's pretty great. It's been a while since I've seen the movie (Rifftrax makes it bearable), but they never really give these cool-looking ships much of a good look in the movie. That big fleet battle started out so cool, but then the poor pacing of the movie got diverted by recycling the "Zap 'em in the nose!" gag with the buzz droids. (They would've been more effective if they were loaded with M80s instead of welders.) The movie is like, oh cool-looking starfighters.... no wait, let's focus on these impractical missiles that don't even explode. Sheesh. Anyway, I didn't realize that there were tail guns on those, nor did I know there were astromechs. It's also interesting that Revell accidentally made a model at a decent 1:72 scale.

So I assume the aftermarket resin parts are for the cockpit interior and pilots?

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Thu Oct, 05, 2017, 11:39:PM »
Definitely liking your results here

Offline Solander

• Overdose
    • My personal gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Fri Oct, 06, 2017, 02:40:AM »
Thanks, guys!

That's pretty great. It's been a while since I've seen the movie (Rifftrax makes it bearable), but they never really give these cool-looking ships much of a good look in the movie. That big fleet battle started out so cool, but then the poor pacing of the movie got diverted by recycling the "Zap 'em in the nose!" gag with the buzz droids. (They would've been more effective if they were loaded with M80s instead of welders.) The movie is like, oh cool-looking starfighters.... no wait, let's focus on these impractical missiles that don't even explode. Sheesh. Anyway, I didn't realize that there were tail guns on those, nor did I know there were astromechs. It's also interesting that Revell accidentally made a model at a decent 1:72 scale.

So I assume the aftermarket resin parts are for the cockpit interior and pilots?

Signing under every single of your words, sir!

Yeah, the aftermarket is mainly for the cockpit (as there is literally none in the original kit) and the pilots figures to bring them in scale to 1/72. The kit pilots are definitely oversized being somewhat of 1/48. I've seen people fitting them well under the canopy, but in my particular case they've been scratching their helmets with the canopy glass, lol.
Also in the aftermarket kit is a very cool engineered landing gear for the optional use and some additional bits, like more accurate rear cannons and re-done laser cannon's emitters. You can see the additions from the aftermarket kit on the photos in my first post - those are standing out due to being molded in nice blue  :)