Author Topic: 1/48 F-4C Eduard/Academy Good Evening Da Nang COMPLETED  (Read 837 times)

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
1/48 F-4C Eduard/Academy Good Evening Da Nang COMPLETED
« on: Thu May, 18, 2017, 04:07:PM »
So, this is the Eduard re boxing of the Academy kit. The Academy kit is supposed to be about the best 1/48 Phantom out there. And it looks the part.

The Eduard stuff is very nice. Plenty of PE and resin extras and decal options for 5 different Nam aircraft. A brief history of each plane is given in the directions. As is, this kit would be enough. But I added the Eduard Big Sin weapons kit, walkway decals (which I wont need after all. They will be fine on one of my other like 8 Phantom kits :D ) intake decals, canopy frame decals and SAC metal gears. Yes, I am all in on this one. LOL

So construction has gone fairly well. Only real issue was with the intakes. I have talked to a couple other folks who have done the kit from other boxings, and most had no issues though a few did. So I am thinking this may be my issue and not the kits.

The main wheel wells are interesting to say the least. The directions would have you assemble the frame then place it on the wing part. Nope. Build them up in the wing half. MUCH easier that way. And I like to leave the landing gear off until the end, but not really an option here. Gotta put them on at the stage listed in the directions.

The PE for the cockpit is great. Makes it very nice. Plenty of little parts to drive you nuts. And then knock off and lose.  ::)

I have got the main part of the build done and camo on. I then went back over with the colors lightened with white paint to give it a faded look. Gloss coat was applied last night. Gonna hit it again today then get to weathering and decals.

Note on the resin sidewinders. The rear fins are paper thin. Be very careful or you will be gluing them back on. Which is NOT easy.

« Last Edit: Thu Jun, 15, 2017, 10:53:PM by smokeriderdon »

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: 1/48 F-4C Eduard/Academy Good Evening Da Nang
« Reply #1 on: Thu May, 18, 2017, 11:51:PM »
Looking really good there
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 09:31:PM »
Plenty of progress. I glossed it and started to apply the decals for the plane I wanted to do. I started with the main marking for that aircraft, the blue stripes on the fuselage. One problem. Eduard goofed here IMO. They did these markings as two decals. Which resulted in the line you can see running smack down the middle. Should have been one decal to avoid that IMO. I could not deal with that and removed the decals and went with a different plane.

I got the decals on, red painted on tail, weapons started, landing gear totally on and wheels done.

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 11:48:PM »
Definitely coming along there
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Thu Jun, 15, 2017, 10:53:PM »
So, jump ahead to I am done!!!! LOL Finished up last week. Had a few self inflicted issues, but she turned out very nicely I think. And she won first place at the monthly IPMS meeting contest. :D

I highly recommend this kit, whether you snag one of the Academy boxings or this one. You cant go wrong with this one.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: 1/48 F-4C Eduard/Academy Good Evening Da Nang COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Fri Jun, 16, 2017, 11:00:AM »

Quite nice  ,
                         Congrats on the win !     ;D

... ..  what are these little doors   ?   ;

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Fri Jun, 16, 2017, 02:47:PM »
Thank you sir! Those are auxiliary intake doors. When it needs more airflow to the engines. I'm guessing it's a low speed high power thing. Not 100% sure exactly when or why they use them.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Fri Jun, 16, 2017, 03:10:PM »
  Ah ,,   OK   - this page says they open with the landing gear  : http://www.arcair.com/awa01/101-200/awa133-F4F-phantom/00.shtm

Off to find more info 

OK  ,,  -->  http://www.f4phantom.com/docs/F4Manual-1979-T-O-1F-4E-1-Flight-Manual-USAF-Series-F-4E-Aircraft.pdf
   Right below the engine oil diagram ,
  They open for cooling air to engine compartment  ,  and act as over-pressure relief

Wish I could get PDF manuals of every machine like that  .  big help   ;D
  I gonna go read up on the F-4 now in my owner's manual
« Last Edit: Fri Jun, 16, 2017, 03:26:PM by urumomo »

Offline smokeriderdon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Sun Jun, 18, 2017, 07:58:PM »
WOW! Thanks for those links. I just downloaded that manual!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Sun Jun, 18, 2017, 10:58:PM »

Yeah   ;D  it's pretty awesome

Hee hee   --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhtBK25mHb4