Author Topic: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
Re: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM
« Reply #45 on: Mon Oct, 30, 2017, 06:01:PM »
For someone "new at this", you're impressing the hell out of me!

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Mon Oct, 30, 2017, 09:02:PM »
Thanks, Jason. I've been posting about this on the SSM forum too, but as you know people don't share much on there due to the stupid time limitation for topics. In an age of terabytes, that forum is still bean counting kilobytes.

Anyway, I am pretty new to this. I didn't start working on lighting anything until last year when I began lighting the Star Wars Rebel Transport you've seen in the SW Group Build forum. The only lighted model I have accomplished so far is my Revell Cylon Raider.

This R-Type is a lot more difficult. As I mentioned previously, when I place the orb on the stand, the connection is very finicky. Last night I said "to heck with it" and went ahead and slowly rocked the arm of the orb back and forth until it came undone. I used my hobby knife to cut away the epoxy glue and the magnet wires were eventually broken. I tested the ends and the LEDs still light up, so that's no problem.

I will have to show this visually in my next video, but the empty section of the stand arm in which I placed those brass rods is at an angle, and I had made the mistake of having the connector rods on the force orb's bottom arm going straight down. This is the problem.

So what I think I will do is even go as far as removing the + shaped snap locator peg completely and just have it sit on the stand with the rods inserted into the other rods, and make sure they fit deeply so as to prevent any further problems. This way, that locator peg won't be pushing up on the arm and preventing a proper contact, especially since it will be at a different angle than the brass rods.

I do not know if you guys can visualize what I'm trying to describe, but that's why I will go over this in my next video. I was hoping that it would be the final video in the series. I will switch to a 9V battery too, and place a resistor along the wire leading from the switch in the base underneath. I believe a 470 ohm resistor should do it. I'll have to test it out.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: Fri Nov, 03, 2017, 08:33:PM »
At the end of the video, you will see the problems I'm having with the brass rod connections.

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: Sat Nov, 04, 2017, 11:24:AM »
So the brass rods carry the electricity? Contact points? Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk