Author Topic: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM  (Read 4324 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM
« Reply #30 on: Tue May, 30, 2017, 07:28:PM »
Wave makes small, brass pipes that are sized to fit into each other. These can be used for many reasons. What I have done is to drill out corresponding holes into the base and the one arm of the orb with my pinvise. I will next cut out corresponding lengths of the brass pipes and solder magnet wire into the ends of these, and then secure them into the holes with CA glue. I'll take pictures of this process tonight. I just put down a semigloss clear coat on the pieces and will do the panel lines next.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 12:42:PM »

Pilot looks good!

As for the batteries, There are  a few things to think about.   Voltage is energy.   The higher the energy, the brighter the LED.   Too much energy and you will burn up the LED>   That is why we use resistors on the LED, they take part of the energy away from the circuit so that you do not burn up that LED.

The second is capacity.    This is where maH comes in.  That is mili-amp-hours.    The larger this number the longer the battery will last.   Think of this as the size of the gas tank on the battery.   Typically the larger the battery, the longer it will last.  That is why a D cell will last a whole lot longer than a AAA will.

The third part in this is just how much juice can the battery supply?    In physics terms this is current.   Some batteries and supply a lot of current quickly and others cannot.   This can be thought of as the size of the pipe hooked up to the tank.  That 9V probably allows a lot of current to flow through  it, while the 12V does not.   So the 9V has a big fat pipe hooked up to it, and that 12V has a straw hooked up to it.   

So the 9V will allow a lot of current to flow, lighting up a lot of LEDs, while the 12V will not, so it can only light up a few at a time.

Now the 9V was probably brighter at the beginning, as it loses capacity, it will start to dim.    Same is true with that 12V, so you were not imagining that the 9V was brighter, it was a fresh battery at the time you used it.

One other thing to think about, I noticed you didn't change the resistor values between the 12 and the 9.    Make sure your resistors are set correctly for the voltage you are using, or you will burn up the LEDs.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 11:35:PM »
Yeah, that pilot looks cool, doesn't it? I did a bit of some touch up painting in the places where the reflective paint overlapped the lines. It was easier to see it under the UV blacklight in the cockpit.

I initially did a test burn with the 12v battery and it worked out fine. I think the battery is just dying because I've been using the same battery for test burns for the MPC Rebel Transport I've been working on since last September. I started wondering if maybe the LEDs were faulty (I'd gotten them in bulk direct from China) until I realized later that the problem was probably the battery dying.

You're right about not adjusting the resistors while swapping power supplies. Actually, that 9v battery has been run-down as well. I'll give it a shot with a fresh 12v again just to make sure. It's a smaller model, so I am looking for a compact battery to use. I will go with a CR2032 battery for lighting the orb. It's low enough that a resistor isn't necessary, it seems. The lights do not become warm at all. They need to be nice and bright to shine through the rough surface of the orb ball.

As for the ship, I'd like to keep using the 12v battery because this battery pack is small and will fit onto the base well. I'll just have the battery holder stuck on the top surface of the base.

I'm working on using metal contacts to transmit the power into both the ship and the orb. The ship will employ thin sheets of metal to make contact and the orb will use brass tubes that fit inside each other. I'll probably do the soldering tonight, after I do another clear coat. Last night I did the panel lines.

The current video I'm working on will cover the completion of the orb. Then I will proceed with the Arrowhead ship.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Sat Jun, 03, 2017, 02:43:AM »

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Mon Jun, 12, 2017, 02:42:PM »
That orb looks great!

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Sun Jun, 25, 2017, 05:59:AM »
I've gotten back to the R-Type model. Here's video 7.

I recently did a Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider, and that was easy to light because the ship is essentially a flying saucer clamshell. This R-Type ship is proving to be more work because I had to strategize where to feed the wires through to make it work.

« Last Edit: Mon Jun, 26, 2017, 10:43:AM by stevethefish »

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Thu Jun, 29, 2017, 10:51:AM »
  Sweet ! 
                 Excellent job  .

.. ..  your background audio was getting a bit too loud at the very end    :(  ,   kinda hard to hear you  .

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Thu Jun, 29, 2017, 08:47:PM »
Yeah, I haven't figured out how to properly control the fading in of music tracks on Shotcut yet. It's way better than Microsoft Movie Maker at least.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Thu Jun, 29, 2017, 09:58:PM »
Video 8!

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: Tue Jul, 04, 2017, 10:59:AM »
Here's video 9.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards

Online Mikey_W_1980

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: Tue Jul, 11, 2017, 05:47:AM »

Pretty darn awesome so far.....
All of this has happened before....and will again..

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: Thu Aug, 24, 2017, 12:47:AM »
Update! Here is video 10.
« Last Edit: Thu Aug, 24, 2017, 11:52:PM by Quaralane »

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: Mon Sep, 25, 2017, 01:23:PM »
Looks good, those decals really helped.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: Mon Oct, 30, 2017, 02:11:AM »
This model is stressing me out. Last night I wired up a switch onto the base and tried out the power. The main ship has a 12v battery because it is small, and the force orb is powered by a CR2032 battery. Maybe I was going crazy with a lack of sleep, but it seemed that these got really dim very quickly, even when they were shut off. I put brand new batteries into each of these. My 9V battery didn't have that effect.

The force orb has 4 SMDs inside, with no resistor. When I had everything open and testing, they shone brightly with no problems before. Now it got really dim.

To make it worse, seating the force orb onto the stand doesn't allow the brass rods to connect well. My original plan was to have small brass rods so that I could replace the cap when it was off the stand. It doesn't fit well, so I gave up on that idea, but now one rod is too short and the orb doesn't want to sit well to allow a solid contact with the rods. I'd like to replace it with a longer one, but I'd have to probably pry the orb apart and I'm afraid of ruining it. As it is, it's not a good connection, so I might give it a shot and order replacement parts if I end up having to redo it all. At least it's not the part of the larger, complex ship model.

As for the ship, it seems to connect well enough, if I press down hard enough. It took a few tries. This ended up being a rather ambitious attempt with lighting by using metal contacts on both of the stands. I'm still new to this, so it's caused a lot of anxiety for me. I was hoping to have it completed yesterday evening, but I'm not satisfied with how it is.