Author Topic: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM  (Read 2618 times)

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: R-Type R-9A Arrowhead by PLUM
« Reply #15 on: Tue May, 09, 2017, 01:23:PM »
   ;D     --  uh  , nah 

The tinning of everything is to prevent corrosion and transfer heat  --  in a nutshell

There's endless vids on everything   -- I know you know that   ;D
            Just practice practice practice   ---  but get set up right 

Like John mentioned  -  THE ORDER OF OPERATIONS is most important

Get ahold a bunch of cheap ebay stuff to practice with  ,,  That Clive guy always buys Poundland and ebay stuff cheeeaapp  and experiments with it   ;D 
              Outside a build !  ;D  , so you're no stress having

Clive's vids  ,,  lots and lots of LED doing  , the man's an LED junkie  --->> https://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UgO6NCddQ
« Last Edit: Tue May, 09, 2017, 01:28:PM by urumomo »

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Wed May, 10, 2017, 06:41:PM »
Thanks to your advice, I was able to redo the strand of SMDs and they work now. I used a knife to strip the wires and it works now. The enamel coating is the reason why the wires were sliding out from the solder.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Thu May, 11, 2017, 08:27:PM »
For those who have YouTube blocked at work, I also have a modeling page on Tumblr. Here is a write-up of what I've done so far, including pictures.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Mon May, 15, 2017, 01:04:AM »
Work has been coming along well on the R-Type kit. There's a section underneath the cockpit that I thought might look cool lit up with a red LED, so I drilled out a 1mm tall strip section. I think after it is painted, I can put Micro Kristal Klear across this gap to form a window. I will have that, a yellow LED to light up the fibers (there will be 6 yellow light points in the cockpit area), the UV SMD to act as the cockpit console, the 5mm flickering blue LED, and the four 3mm flickering blue LEDs on the ship. As for the force orb sphere, I have successfully soldered the magnet wires to form a strand of four SMDs that I will install into the plastic ball. After redoing this strand, the solder joints are now solid.

It's going to be an ambitious lighting project (at least as far as my experience goes!).  Not including the fiber optic points of light, there will be a total of 8 lights in the ship and 4 in the orb.

I am glad I have those spare pieces I've been able to experiment with. The trick I've learned is to file down the locator pegs so that they won't snap together so firmly, allowing me to undo the fit easily for test fits. I'll just use glue with the final assembly.

I have the idea to attach thin metal pieces to the stand's pegs so that the ship can be easily detached. I hope to have other metal pieces in the mounting holes to make contact with the metal to light the ship up. I have some photoetch pliers that I think can probably bend these metal pieces into submission.

This kit does not come with any decals, but I have that taken care of already. I have a lot of decals made by Wave and HIQ Parts for number markings, warning signs, etc. NEAT STUFF.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Mon May, 15, 2017, 01:10:AM »

very cool   ,, I like the sound of all of that    ;D

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Mon May, 15, 2017, 01:58:AM »
One thing to add is that if you are going to have fiber optics running through areas that have other lights in them, I would paint the fibers black.  Light will leak into the fibers and will ruin your lighting effects otherwise.

Everything sounds really good.    Once you get the hang of this, you will be lighting up everything.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Mon May, 15, 2017, 02:58:AM »
Thanks. Hobby Man Mike said that I can pass a hot soldering iron to more efficiently bend fiber optics into angles to prevent getting kinked. Have you done that before?

I've been considering painting the fibers this time. Actually, there will be two fibers going to the back of the chair, behind the pilot's head. I've planned to paint those fibers black or something to make them look like hoses coming out of the back of the seat.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Mon May, 15, 2017, 09:38:PM »
Just be careful of how much you bend them, if bent too much, they will stop transmitting light.    There is a physics equation for this:  Sin(theta)=N2/N1  N2 and N1 are the index of refraction of the plastic and are respectively.   

You really don't need to know how to use the equation, just remember too tight of a bend and they will stop transmitting light.

And yes painted they would look like pipes or wires....

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Tue May, 16, 2017, 02:14:AM »
Hmmm... Well, I was told that the fibers can be heat-bent to 90 degree angles. For two of them, I want to accomplish a C-shape curve within a centimeter. Perhaps when I get home tonight I can do some experimentation with some fibers and see how successfully I can bend them with heat.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Tue May, 16, 2017, 05:02:PM »

Yes  -     Do

Much do

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Tue May, 16, 2017, 05:05:PM »
Don't do 90 degrees it won't work.   Go ahead and experiment, but I know that won't work.    If you want to read up on it and are not afraid of geeky terminology, here are a few web pages:
https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/blogs/archive-posts/95146054-optical-fiber-tutorial-optic-fiber-communication-fiber
https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/geometric-optics-24/reflection-refraction-and-dispersion-169/total-internal-reflection-and-fiber-optics-609-6258/

Do experiment, that is the best way to learn this stuff.....

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Tue May, 16, 2017, 05:11:PM »

;D    yes   --  indeed

You'll find the limit for the bend  ,,  well less than 90  , but that will become obvious when you work with it .

Do
                      Much Do

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Tue May, 16, 2017, 10:46:PM »
Well, I did and it worked. I will clarify what I mean by a 90 degree bend. Not an exact L, but a curve to the bend. The curve is tight enough to suit my needs. What I need to do is put everything onto a breadboard and test the resistors to get the brightness I want and do a test burn for several hours.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Wed May, 17, 2017, 12:14:AM »
A curve will work, but not a 90 degree angle bend.    Big difference there.  Glad it worked and looking forward to seeing the result!

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Tue May, 23, 2017, 07:51:PM »