Author Topic: 1/48 Revell Germany Jaguar GR.1  (Read 340 times)

Offline smokeriderdon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
1/48 Revell Germany Jaguar GR.1
« on: Wed Mar, 22, 2017, 08:51:PM »
OK, to start. This is actually a re boxing of the old Heller kit. Had I known that, I would have not purchased it. As soon as you open the box, you know its not modern Revell at all. Sprue gates are thick. Parts are chunky. Panel lines are troughs. Quick dry fit shows horrible fit. A writer for one of the major mags had an article about this kit when it came out. He was FAR too positive in his review. I was determined to make it come out well though.

So, all the pics I saw of planes that had been in theater for any length of time showed planes that were faded and filthy. I saw one where the pink had chipped a LOT on all leading edges exposing the camo under it. The Jags were flying missions low and fast, so they got chipped and dirty fairly quickly. At least thats my understanding, and pics hold that up. So I made this girl very dirty.

The nose art on these planes was great. Part of what motivated me to do this scheme. The decal sheet came from Kits World. It had two other planes in it. They also had another sheet for the Jags, and one for the Tonkas that I snagged as well.

For the canopy, I had to come up with my own actuator as there is nothing in the kit. They only give you the closed option. And the fit there, like the rest of this crappy kit, is junk. So closed is not an option. I managed to get it to look somewhat OK. Not sure it would stay put if a fly landed on it hard though.

While processing the pics, I noticed a few things I missed such as the canopy being wonky. Those I will fix. Just didnt feel like taking pics again. :D

Let me reiterate. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS KIT!!!!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: 1/48 Revell Germany Jaguar GR.1
« Reply #1 on: Wed Mar, 22, 2017, 09:06:PM »

You like these ornery builds    ;)

I think this is the first time I have seen missiles mounted atop the wing  .
                    I didn't know that was a thing

Offline smokeriderdon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Wed Mar, 22, 2017, 09:22:PM »
I dont like them. They just seem to come to me. LOL

Yep. Pretty sure that was a combat only thing. Standard non com was without the missiles. At least I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Thu Mar, 23, 2017, 12:43:AM »
  Heh heh    --  as long as you don't quit you'll be fine    ;)

Those missiles make me think of the rearward firing missiles in the Eastwood movie  Firefox
      ;D   I really enjoyed that movie

How were the decals  ?    Lots of them   :P
    Old and angry also  ?

Offline Mikey_W_1980

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Thu Mar, 23, 2017, 06:14:AM »

Despite your disliking of this kit, you've done an awesome job there!
All of this has happened before....and will again..

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Thu Mar, 23, 2017, 02:01:PM »
The results here are pretty decent, in spite of the issues you had with her
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline smokeriderdon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Fri Mar, 24, 2017, 01:23:AM »
Thanks guys. :)

The decals, both the ones in the kit and the after market set, were very good. That is the one redeeming thing about the kit. Very nice decal sheet with stencils for the weapons and plane. Not too many IMO. Just right I think. The kit is for a plane with a shark mouth. It also has Swiss markings I think. If you can wrestle the kit under control, you can make a nice plane with just the kit decals.

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Fri Mar, 24, 2017, 01:27:AM »

Ha ha  --   Yeah  , you're right  -
                                                    I was thinking  " lots of em " if they were a pain like the plastic    ;D

Offline spiralcity

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Fri May, 19, 2017, 06:23:PM »
Well, it turned out well enough. Nice job on the bird.

IDK, I never really care too much about the kit contents to be honest. As long as it fits together fair enough and I don't have to re-engrave the entire thing, I'm usually content. Personally I favor a kit that needs some work and a lot of elbow grease, that's what I consider modeling. I like to get my hands dirty and turn a ruff kit into something presentable. To me, that is modeling, that's what it's all about, that's why we build. I land older kits on eBay all the time and decent prices. I just landed a Fujimi1:48  Messerschmitt Bf110C for 9.00 and I cant wait to dig in.