Author Topic: Bandai Star Wars kits and solvents.  (Read 221 times)

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
Bandai Star Wars kits and solvents.
« on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 06:47:PM »
So, I have a few of the Bandai Star Wars kits. I know their kits tend to do weird things when you weather with enamels.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever primed a Bandai kit with a lacquer based primer like Krylon or Alclad. Presumably if that doesn't destroy the plastic than using enamel and oil for weathering would be okay once the lacquer primer is down…
Derek J. Kinsman, Maker of Things.
@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Online urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Bandai Star Wars kits and solvents.
« Reply #1 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 06:55:PM »

I've never seen any weakness / difference in Bandai styrene   .     ???

I don't use lacquer paints   ---  I use the chit out of Tamiya white which is lacquer based and it had no different , destructive interaction with Bandai plastic . 

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 08:03:PM »

I've never seen any weakness / difference in Bandai styrene   .     ???

I don't use lacquer paints   ---  I use the chit out of Tamiya white which is lacquer based and it had no different , destructive interaction with Bandai plastic .

I think the main problem comes from Bandai kits using ABS and polyvinyl plastics. Which don't take solvents well.

But I've also heard they treat their polystyrene differently and it can crack. I think there's a few AT-ST threads on here about it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Online urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 08:15:PM »

Ah  ,  interesting .
     I have pretty minimal experience with Bandai   .

Eager to hear more

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 08:34:PM »
I also have limited experience. I've just seen it brought up in various threads.

@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 10:50:PM »
The only one I saw was Phil Flory's AT-ST. Built, painted, and when he went to weather it using enamels, the enamel weathering solutions broke down the parts. No matter what you paint with it, that stuff will go everywhere and get into joints that the paint hasn't touched.

I have had the same thing happen with joints glued with Tamiya X-thin, the enamel weathering solutions would debond the tamiya glue. Was working on an 8 wheel vehicle, holding it by the inside half of the wheels as I spread the enamel solutions around, much to my amazement, the entire suspension system came out and the rest of the vehicle went tumbling.

Now I use nothing but acrylics.

Online Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 11:23:PM »
I tend not to use enamels, except very sparingly. And then, I only use enamel paints.
All of my weathering is done with acrylics
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 11:24:PM »
The only one I saw was Phil Flory's AT-ST. Built, painted, and when he went to weather it using enamels, the enamel weathering solutions broke down the parts. No matter what you paint with it, that stuff will go everywhere and get into joints that the paint hasn't touched.

I have had the same thing happen with joints glued with Tamiya X-thin, the enamel weathering solutions would debond the tamiya glue. Was working on an 8 wheel vehicle, holding it by the inside half of the wheels as I spread the enamel solutions around, much to my amazement, the entire suspension system came out and the rest of the vehicle went tumbling.

Now I use nothing but acrylics.

That's crazy. Never had that problem with Tamiya Extra Thin. Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic on YouTube had that problem. A little bit of AK Interactive and the plastic started breaking down.

I guess I'll be extra careful with the Bandai kits.

@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Mon Mar, 13, 2017, 11:27:PM »
I tend not to use enamels, except very sparingly. And then, I only use enamel paints.
All of my weathering is done with acrylics

I feel like I should switch if for no other reason than solvents are super unhealthy. I've replaced most of my paints with Mission Model Paints. Finally found a good acrylic primer. But I still use oil for weathering. And I'm forever a sucker for Alclad.

@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Mon Mar, 20, 2017, 03:12:AM »
Sorry I am late to the party.....

I use Alclad primers on Bandai plastic all the time and I have had no problems with it interacting with the plastic.  In fact it will even stick to their polycaps and not flake off.  Once the primer is down I use what ever paint I want on it.

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Mon Mar, 20, 2017, 08:30:AM »
Brilliant. Thanks. I guess if I'm worried I can just spray some sprue first…

I use Alclad primers on Bandai plastic all the time and I have had no problems with it interacting with the plastic.  In fact it will even stick to their polycaps and not flake off.  Once the primer is down I use what ever paint I want on it.

@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Tue Mar, 21, 2017, 11:18:AM »

Most of the problems I have seen don't involve the paint, but when someone uses an enamel wash and slathers it on to heavy. It ends up running into the joints and dissolves the polycaps.

I don't think that if you used it sparingly, that you would have much, if any problems.

Offline unttld

• Addict
  • Mechanical
    • Internet Website
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Tue Mar, 21, 2017, 06:39:PM »
Good point. I've never been one to flood a surface with wash. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Most of the problems I have seen don't involve the paint, but when someone uses an enamel wash and slathers it on to heavy. It ends up running into the joints and dissolves the polycaps.

I don't think that if you used it sparingly, that you would have much, if any problems.

@derekkinsman

Currently Building:
So many things.