Author Topic: MPC Hoth Rebel Base model set  (Read 4503 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: MPC Hoth Rebel Base model set
« Reply #30 on: Tue May, 30, 2017, 10:22:PM »
So... maybe measure the width of one of the S-foils for the tiny MPC X-Wing, measure that of the Fine Molds's X-Wing, calculate a ratio, then resize the decal sheet accordingly? The proportions more or less match, so this may be hurdling the wall I've come up against.

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: Tue May, 30, 2017, 11:41:PM »
Basically, yes
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 10:15:AM »
So... maybe measure the width of one of the S-foils for the tiny MPC X-Wing, measure that of the Fine Molds's X-Wing, calculate a ratio, then resize the decal sheet accordingly? The proportions more or less match, so this may be hurdling the wall I've come up against.
Yup, that would do it. I'd test print on paper first though.

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Wed May, 31, 2017, 10:49:PM »
Yes, I'd definitely do a test print first. I have some other stuff I wanna print out on decal paper, so I will try to maximize what I've got. I'll take it to work and use the laser printer there.  ;)

I haven't done a video on this project in a while. The only work I've done is re-wiring the blue LEDs into the Transport ship. This time I used clear epoxy glue instead of hot glue so that they won't shift around when it gets warm.

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Thu Oct, 05, 2017, 08:57:PM »
When assembling the Rebel Transport, I encountered the same problem I had with the last one: the gluing contact point on the rear starboard side along the side-trench does NOT want to cooperate. This stubborn part did not want to meld together. I used a rubber band around the transport to fix this. My friend said he had the same issue when he built his, so apparently it's a problem with the way the kit is made.

But now that this is done, I intend to start painting it soon.

That same friend has constructed some decent side docking ports for this kit's Falcon. I'll need to use my router to cut the existing spots open and install those once I get them.

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Mon Oct, 23, 2017, 08:40:PM »
An update at last! Here I have airbrushed the Rebel Transport with lots of paneled stripes. After recording this video, I sprayed it with future to prepare it for artist oil washes. I used Tamiya acrylics on this. First I used Neutral Gray, then, Dark Sea Gray, and finally Sky Gray.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Tue Oct, 24, 2017, 06:04:PM »
Looking good. it should weather up nicely

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Wed Oct, 25, 2017, 03:58:AM »
Looks really good! Maybe keep your weathering to warmer tones like burnt umber and cienna mixed with grey or black- the basecoat are very cool in tone and could use some warming up.

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Thu Oct, 26, 2017, 09:26:AM »
Decals look great, should work out real nice on this tiny Xs. Transport is going to be cool too. You make me want to dig this old build outta a box and revisit it.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: Mon Oct, 30, 2017, 01:16:AM »
This is going to look fantastic at the end.

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: Wed Nov, 01, 2017, 02:27:PM »
Maybe go back and must the top of the transport with white to simulate snow and frost in areas? Hoth was bitterly cold and there should be at least frost on darn near everything.

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: Wed Nov, 01, 2017, 07:03:PM »
Actually, I am not going for an "escape from Hoth" since I'll have the Falcon flying with it. For one thing, this Transport isn't accurate to the filming prop much at all. The cockpit module is all wrong, etc. So, this diorama I'm building could be more of an "escape from Yavin IV" instead. The transport looks different, so I'm not going to bother trying to make it look like the ones seen in ESB.

As for the striping painting scheme, I was rather inspired by the Hasbro Star Wars Titanium Series Rebel Transport I have on my desk. I'll show that in the next video. That miniature features blue and beige panels, so mine is a bit more subdued. Here is a picture: http://img.militaria-girona.cat/5733-thickbox_default/rebel-transport-dark-grey-micromachines-titanium-spaceships-diecast.jpg

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: Sun Feb, 18, 2018, 10:23:PM »
So I finally got back to the Transport yesterday, giving it an artist oil wash with Turpenoid. I used Holbein artist oils Yellow Gray, Gray of Gray, an occasional touch of Cerulean Blue, and did final grime streaks with Burnt Sienna. I'll do a bit of Tamiya's Panel Line Accent Color to see if that adds anything to the model, then do a flat coat and proceed with maybe some pastel chalk.

I still have yet to start finish assembly on the Falcon. The overly large dish will remain, but my friend has helped sculpt some better details for those round docking ports on the sides (or whatever they are). I'll use my router to drill those areas out and replace them with cut discs from Tamiya styrene plates. I cut some out already, but I will need to check to see if they are the right size or not.

Yeah, "Pics or GTFO," right? I'll have to take some pics and provide a better update. I've recorded footage of the wash process.

I just checked on Amazon to see when this lousy movie will be released on video. So far, no date is set. I hope it won't be out until May or so.
« Last Edit: Sun Feb, 18, 2018, 11:19:PM by stevethefish »

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: Wed Jul, 25, 2018, 04:54:AM »
Finally here is the update of what I'd been doing slowly over the past few months. I've had a bunch of footage sitting around on my hard drive and finally edited it together along with some new footage.

So since Scott isn't doing modeling anymore, I suppose this is just going to be a neverending Star Wars group build, I suppose. I couldn't complete this before the crappy TLJ movie came out anyway.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: Wed Jul, 25, 2018, 03:55:PM »
That transport is coming along nicely!

That is the same technique I use on my 1/1000 Yamato kits as well as my Star Wars kits to help get the appearance of hull weathering, streaking and fading